Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting comparison. Mostly good breakdown, but this is the summary:

... you might appreciate aspects of Jaguar's interior trimmings, build quality, and driving characteristics. But Tesla's newest offering is simply a better electric car — with convenience, range, and nifty tech features that make Elon Musk's car company so popular.
Personally I think they drastically undersell the build quality and driving enjoyment of the I-Pace. I might be slightly biased, though. :)

Tesla Model Y Performance Vs Jaguar I-Pace: Detailed Comparison

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
314 Posts
Interesting comparison. Mostly good breakdown, but this is the summary:

Personally I think they drastically undersell the build quality and driving enjoyment of the I-Pace. I might be slightly biased, though. :)

Tesla Model Y Performance Vs Jaguar I-Pace: Detailed Comparison
Typical Tesla fanboy. And I'm not a Tesla detractor. I love what they've done for electric cars. But these fanboys think extra range (debatably useful) and nifty tech is the reason to buy a car? I would think for those that actually enjoy driving a car, interior trimmings, build quality, and driving characteristics would be the first thing they are interested in. And lets not even talk about which car looks better. The Model Y is the ugly red haired step child in that comparison.

·
Super Moderator
2,267 Posts
I just can't handle a tablet car even if the build quality were better. It's pure fantasy to say the MY is the better "electric car". It's a worse car, how can it be a better "electric car"? ("Tesla's newest offering is simply a better electric car"). Do the goalposts shift where when it's electric the other stuff doesn't matter?

·
Registered
779 Posts
InsideEVs is indeed a Tesla fanboy site, so their findings were no surprise to me.

Objectively, everything they put in the Tesla column, most of which was fair, was only related to long trips.

Everything else that makes a car enjoyable like ride, handling, interior quality & materials, build quality, styling (OK that’s subjective, but how many could honestly say the MY’s styling is nicer, really?) fall into the Jag’s column.

The reviewer is in denial.

·
Registered
893 Posts
InsideEVs is indeed a Tesla fanboy site, so their findings were no surprise to me.

Objectively, everything they put in the Tesla column, most of which was fair, was only related to long trips.

Everything else that makes a car enjoyable like ride, handling, interior quality & materials, build quality, styling (OK that’s subjective, but how many could honestly say the MY’s styling is nicer, really?) fall into the Jag’s column.

The reviewer is in denial.
Great feedback

Also I think the model S looked so much better than the X, but it has also aged well. The X is looking a little stale

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
681 Posts
Great feedback

Also I think the model S looked so much better than the X, but it has also aged well. The X is looking a little stale
100% A Model S, 2020 model and especially the newly refreshed 2021 still looks pretty great, especially with 21" wheels. Model X was frumpy when it debuted and looks even worse now!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I was never a fan of the S's looks. The X is downright ugly. The 3 is meh. New Beetle in the front. Anonymous in the bag. The Y is an uglier 3.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Weird that the tesla owners are so fixed on the giant screens/tech that they think giving up a speedometer is a feature. Its unsafe. Only reason to get rid of buttons, instrument cluster is to save money. Tesla markets the spartan look as a feature. Who wants to root around multiple menus to unlock doors, glovebox...

Better efficiency is nice to have for long trips and saving on energy. In 9 months I've not needed to use a DC charger on the road - not my use situation. If I had to commute more than 150km one way I wouldnt buy an Ipace.

Tesla has done great tech things but it shouldnt give them a pass on other aspects of car manufacturing. Imagine someone coming here and saying "I love my ipace even though the bumper fell off".

·
Registered
2020 S
59 Posts
For day to day driving, the Model Y efficiency is literally worth pennies a day. To save those pennies, you have to put up with a car with questionable build quality, hot fake leather (I live in Georgia, this is a big deal), a squished in Pekinese snout, and a dashboard that looks like the designer started with the dash out of a Plymouth Volare, removed all the gauges, and mounted a tablet on it. That last one is a bit of an exaggeration, but I really dislike that dash. I think I chose wisely.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Weird that the tesla owners are so fixed on the giant screens/tech that they think giving up a speedometer is a feature. Its unsafe. Only reason to get rid of buttons, instrument cluster is to save money. Tesla markets the spartan look as a feature. Who wants to root around multiple menus to unlock doors, glovebox...

Better efficiency is nice to have for long trips and saving on energy. In 9 months I've not needed to use a DC charger on the road - not my use situation. If I had to commute more than 150km one way I wouldnt buy an Ipace.

Tesla has done great tech things but it shouldnt give them a pass on other aspects of car manufacturing. Imagine someone coming here and saying "I love my ipace even though the bumper fell off".
There is something seductive about just having a huge screen. Combine that with it being an EV, driving itself and created by a genius that lands rockets on a barge. You feel like you are driving the future.
Of course all of that is a complete illusion that I indulged in too

The reality is the screens in the S/X were never made for automobiles which is why there they are going bad, lawsuits piling up (3/Y screens remain to be seen), a mix of buttons and touch screens are a better UX, they released AP as a beta when other OEMs wouldn't risk the liability, lawsuits piling up, other EVs like the Mach E, I-Pace, Taycan, E-Tron, have spectacular EV drive trains, reusable rockets were done in the 60s and were found not be financially viable.
There is a reason no OEM created a Super charging network. Because it a complete money pit. Ford is creating one, but on dealer lots and this is for a reason.
VW was forced to create EA as a punishment. That should tell us something

The Y has many good aspects, but there are alternatives that are like the Mach E, I-Pace.

People that want buy a Tesla, want a Tesla. I don't think there is anyone that has an I-Pace or another EV that hasn't had a Tesla or seriously considered it

·
Registered
997 Posts
I've seriously considered Tesla multiple times, but the garbage interior, poor built quality, and various other issues scare me away.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
462 Posts
.......People that want buy a Tesla, want a Tesla. I don't think there is anyone that has an I-Pace or another EV that hasn't had a Tesla or seriously considered it
I disagree with this last point. Personally, I never considered a Tesla. The design and functionality is not what I wanted in a personal vehicle. If getting from A to B as fast as possible is the major criteria then OK, but I am at a stage of life where I want to be comfortable, enjoy the finer things in life, and relax while driving.
I've owned Ford products previously, driven Chevy vehicles, so I understand demographics. However, my guess is I am a typical JLR owner at this point in time, and I am happy to be here.
I think we make a mistake comparing the 3 or the Y to an I-Pace. They do not target the same demographic. Maybe the S and the X are competitors, but as Tesla is finding, you cannot maked a profit selling those to EV enthusiasts. JLR sells cars to driving enthusiasts, and one of these cars is an EV.

·
Registered
779 Posts
There is something seductive about just having a huge screen. Combine that with it being an EV, driving itself and created by a genius that lands rockets on a barge. You feel like you are driving the future.
Of course all of that is a complete illusion that I indulged in too

The reality is the screens in the S/X were never made for automobiles which is why there they are going bad, lawsuits piling up (3/Y screens remain to be seen), a mix of buttons and touch screens are a better UX, they released AP as a beta when other OEMs wouldn't risk the liability, lawsuits piling up, other EVs like the Mach E, I-Pace, Taycan, E-Tron, have spectacular EV drive trains, reusable rockets were done in the 60s and were found not be financially viable.
There is a reason no OEM created a Super charging network. Because it a complete money pit. Ford is creating one, but on dealer lots and this is for a reason.
VW was forced to create EA as a punishment. That should tell us something

The Y has many good aspects, but there are alternatives that are like the Mach E, I-Pace.

People that want buy a Tesla, want a Tesla. I don't think there is anyone that has an I-Pace or another EV that hasn't had a Tesla or seriously considered it
Ah yes, I was one of the ‘lucky’ ones with a screen that developed thick, ugly yellow borders. Tesla said ‘sit tight’ we’re developing a fix for it. And they did...over a year later. They originally replaced screens but stopped when the replacement screens also yellowed. Cool. 🙄

So over a year later, from the point they stopped replacing screens, they developed a box with a fairly high powered UV light. That box was placed over the screen to ‘cure’ the glue that held the screen together along the edges. Apparently the glue had softened and was the cause of the yellowing. It actually worked and removed 95% of the yellowed borders. If you stared intently, you could just pick up slight traces of the yellowing, but most people would never notice it.

This only impacted about 2 model years. Prior model years didn’t yellow, but the glue actually liquified and dripped out of the screen onto interior parts of the car. Really cool! 😂😂

The screens, as PS702 correctly stated, were never designed for automotive use. Really really cool. 😂🤮🙄

·
Registered
2020 HSE Fujy
10 Posts
I think we make a mistake comparing the 3 or the Y to an I-Pace. They do not target the same demographic. Maybe the S and the X are competitors, but as Tesla is finding, you cannot maked a profit selling those to EV enthusiasts. JLR sells cars to driving enthusiasts, and one of these cars is an EV.
As someone just off the EV market I’d agree with that. Everything what Tesla produces just annoys me - complete dissonance with what click powered media, youtube and reviewers are telling me and what I feel when look at and try to be inside of those things. With MS/MX at least there was an attempt to impress and make a cool car, just like Jag did with I-Pace - it’s a commonality in my book. Most of other EVs are just depressing - they are really good only at inducing severe boredom, I don’t see any common points I could use to make a meaningful comparison. Taycan is undeniably cool, but large sedans are not my cup of tee. I kept waiting for brands which actually know how to make cars to show something cool and ignored Jag because I always ignored it before. We actually noticed I-Pace by accident while poking around JLR dealership, I thought «that’s a good looking EV» and my wife said «I like this one», we took it for a test drive and it just clicked. You have to understand - my wife likes small fast cars, I like full size pickups. We disagree. This thing met both of us right in the middle and this was an instant love. I really don’t think there is any other EV on the market now which could be compared to I-Pace. Comparing it to MY is pointless, they are different species and I can’t imagine a person who would have both on the list and had hard time of choosing between them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts