Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought my I-Pace earlier this month. So far ~1500 miles. If I need to count how many times this has happened, I’d say about 5 times now. Basically I’d turn on the car as usual, but the infotainment screen and the bottom small HVAC screen would stay black, I can touch the screens but nothing happens, I start driving and still nothing happens. I’d have to put the car back into Park, then turn it off, then turn it back on for the screens to turn back on.

I haven’t thought much of it and figured it’s a software glitch and I won’t take it in until it gets worse (if it doesn’t turn on at all for some reason). However, today, when it happened, I turned off the car, turn it back on, and screens still black. Then tried it again, screens still black. So I turned it off, LOCKED it, then UNLOCKED it, then tried to turn on the car again, then the screens came on normally again.

Perhaps I was being optimistic, but if it happens like this where I have to lock and unlock it to fix it, then it’s enough of a trouble I’d go and bring it in.

We’ll see! Anyone else have similar issue? I am running 20A

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Style 1020 Gloss Black Wheels
50 Posts
What version of InControl Touch Pro are you running? If you're on anything less than 20A, that's going to be the first place to start.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point, I’ll add that to the post. It is 20A

·
Registered
2020 HSE
6 Posts
What is the media source that you're set to use upon boot up when this has happened? Same source all the time, or different each time?
How about removing the Micro SIM too?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just bought my I-Pace earlier this month. So far ~1500 miles. If I need to count how many times this has happened, I’d say about 5 times now. Basically I’d turn on the car as usual, but the infotainment screen and the bottom small HVAC screen would stay black, I can touch the screens but nothing happens, I start driving and still nothing happens. I’d have to put the car back into Park, then turn it off, then turn it back on for the screens to turn back on.

I haven’t thought much of it and figured it’s a software glitch and I won’t take it in until it gets worse (if it doesn’t turn on at all for some reason). However, today, when it happened, I turned off the car, turn it back on, and screens still black. Then tried it again, screens still black. So I turned it off, LOCKED it, then UNLOCKED it, then tried to turn on the car again, then the screens came on normally again.

Perhaps I was being optimistic, but if it happens like this where I have to lock and unlock it to fix it, then it’s enough of a trouble I’d go and bring it in.

I have had the same thing happen. Twice now. We had a discussion here on this here a few days ago. No good answer I'm afraid. I have had the car about a year with 15K miles on it and this has happened only 2 times, both within days of each other and just a few weeks ago. Like you, the only thing that got it back to normal was stopping and locking the car.

·
Registered
678 Posts

The trick to avoid blank screens is to wait until the screens display before putting the car in gear. I also wait for the profile/smart settings Welcome bar displays and the phone connects to Bluetooth to avoid disappearing profiles and list of connected phones. Blank screens happened while the car had 18D and subsequent updates installed so it's not related to infotainment version. Waiting the extra 30 seconds has worked perfectly.

·
Registered
2019 First Edition/HSE, Santorini Black
11 Posts
The trick to avoid blank screens is to wait until the screens display before putting the car in gear. I also wait for the profile/smart settings Welcome bar displays and the phone connects to Bluetooth to avoid disappearing profiles and list of connected phones. Blank screens happened while the car had 18D and subsequent updates installed so it's not related to infotainment version. Waiting the extra 30 seconds has worked perfectly.
I’ve found the same to be true- anytime I’m rushing and running around I have issues because I’m hitting start and trying to get going. If I treat it like a computer or phone and give a moment after turning it on, everything works

·
Registered
536 Posts
This was mentioned on this forum a long time (1+ year?) ago, but if you 'unlock' the car as you approach with the keyfob (even if it's already unlocked), it does 'wake up' the systems a little bit sooner than opening the door. When in a rush (or just in general), this action can shorten the "wait for all screens to come on" time by 10-15 seconds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same here with my 2019 Ipace. Happened 2 times in 1 month. Very annoying if you're in a rush. Running on 20A as well. Has there been any reaction by JLR since they usually read in forums?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have only had my car a month and have had this happen three times. Can replicate it as I open the car on the handle, jump in switch on and put it straight into a gear. Have leaned that it takes a good while to get itself sorted so just have to be a bit patient. Must say it is a feature that is not really good to have to sit and wait while everything gets going, but as mentioned if the car is unlocked on the fob first it does seem to improve things.

Same thing with the music source as well as I usually have my ipod connected and that takes an age to get connected and then having to press play as well. In my mind it should just carry on from where it left off playing as it has in my last BMW and Lexus. Jagusr do need to iprove some of the software. If the source is radio that comes on quite quickly.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Take the car in to be serviced that is likely a software update issue. Let the dealer take a look because the screen or controller could also be bad

·
Registered
56 Posts
Since early updates I haven't seen this issue for a long time. Just a few weeks ago I had an incident when loading the kids into the car. I figured out what caused it though. As soon as you open a door the system does a preboot. The main screens come on in anticipation of being needed. If you don't fully turn the car on in a certain amount of time the system will shut itself back down to save battery. Well what happened was the kids got into the car while I was still getting stuff from the house. By the time I got to open the drivers door the system was just shutting back off. Blank screens when I turn the car on and pull away. Within 15 seconds the system reboots itself and everything is back to normal for the ride.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All, thank you for all your feedback and experience. After thinking through what each of you said, I agree that the screens stuck in off mode when I turned on the car and shifted into R or D too quickly.

It hasn’t happened since I originally posted, but I plan to unlock the car with key fob if I’m in a rush, or just wait the 30sec to let everything boot up first.

Will report back if it happens again!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Black screen of death is still a rare occurrence for me, even on SOTA S20B. Always, eventually corrects itself.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's unreal we have to wait for our $70k+ car to boot up like a Windows XP machine. <shaking head sadly, looking off into the distance>

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
344 Posts
It's unreal we have to wait for our $70k+ car to boot up like a Windows XP machine. <shaking head sadly, looking off into the distance>
What about your state of the art iphone? How long does that take from pressing the button to being ready to make a call?

·
Registered
68 Posts
What about your state of the art iphone? How long does that take from pressing the button to being ready to make a call?
android, thank you. and it takes a second. and I don't have to wait for it to warm up, and it doesn't forget my settings every 4 days. in other words, it works.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
344 Posts
I also use android. I think you are confusing powering off the phone with letting it go to sleep and the screen going black. I just powered down and it took 18secs for the home screen to load. Unfortunately kitty does not have a sleep mode where you get ouf of the car and kitty stays awake waiting for you to return.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fair comparison is a car of the competition, not a phone. I had a Merxedes GLC for half the price of the kitty and 3 years older but never had a black screen And entertainment was faster. All in all the kitty is the better package thoigh. Does not mean JLR should not update the software....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts