Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone has had any luck saving on the car's data plan by swapping out the AT&T SIM with another carrier? I've done quite a bit of research, and first tried Tello which offers 1GB of data for $6/mo on the T-Mobile network. However, their SIM card wouldn't activate. I'd just get three little dots up in the top right, and it would eventually fail.

I then tried Ting, which also has affordable pricing on the T-Mobile network. Their SIM card also won't activate. I had one brief period where it showed 3G and downloaded traffic data, but it lasted about 10 seconds. In several hours of driving, that's the only time it's worked.

In both cases, reception is not the issue. Curious to hear if anyone has found any reliable alternatives to paying AT&T $15/mo.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
830 Posts

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace HSE
12 Posts
I switched to T-Mobile a few months ago during a “buy 2 lines get one free” promo. We only needed 2 lines, so the extra sim has just been in a drawer. I stuck it in the I-Pace the day I brought the car home to see if it would work and it’s been flawless ever since. Happy surprise for sure! It’s not an accessory line, it’s just a regular phone line on my account. The only quirk is that the data that it uses draws from the mobile hotspot section instead of just “regular” data.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
313 Posts
I was planning to install my Google Fi SIM last weekend, but got sidetracked. Hopefully I'll get a few moments to play with it this week.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I switched to T-Mobile a few months ago during a “buy 2 lines get one free” promo. We only needed 2 lines, so the extra sim has just been in a drawer. I stuck it in the I-Pace the day I brought the car home to see if it would work and it’s been flawless ever since. Happy surprise for sure! It’s not an accessory line, it’s just a regular phone line on my account. The only quirk is that the data that it uses draws from the mobile hotspot section instead of just “regular” data.
Wouldn’t that mean that it’s not pulling cellular data on its own, but rather from your phone? That might explain why it ‘works’ and others have had no luck.

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace HSE
12 Posts
It means that T-Mobile is viewing the I-Pace SIM as a phone that has devices sharing its data it as a WiFi hotspot, if that makes sense. The car is connected to the internet regardless of whether my phone is even powered on, so it’s not using data through my phone. Data is unlimited on T-Mobile, except for when you share your connection with others as a hotspot, so I suppose that’s why it’s broken down in that way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Has anybody tried a T-mobile data only plan? I thought someone on here was paying $10 plus fees per month and it worked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts