Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Incoming Update to Improve Range for 2022+

7K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  dernotte 
#1 ·
Motor Trend published a review of the 2022 I-PACE today. It was rather favorable yet predictable, but one bit was particularly interesting:

"Jaguar promises a coming software update will improve the 2023 I-Pace's range (and the 2022's via an OTA update), but it won't say by how much as of this publication time."

So it looks like the newer owners are likely to see an incremental range improvement sometime soon. I know the battery is different for the 2022+ cars, and I assume the BECM is as well given that the charging rates are faster. I'm not going to hold my breath, but I've got my fingers crossed that the improvements might trickle down to us 2021 and older cars as well 🤞

#4 ·
I know the battery is different for the 2022+ cars, and I assume the BECM is as well given that the charging rates are faster. I'm not going to hold my breath, but I've got my fingers crossed that the improvements might trickle down to us 2021 and older cars as well 🤞
Are you sure of that. I thought that the hardware was identical.
We have been told since a few years now (when the etron was out) that Jaguar has renegociated the term and condition of the battery warranty with LG to match the T&C Audi signed with them, and allow faster charge and better charging curve with the same battery. Never saw any update on that topic since then. I don't know where I get that feeling but I thought that the electronic modules inside the IPace are able to take 120kw, but are limited by software to 100kw due to the T&C signed with LG.

#5 ·
Are you sure of that. I thought that the hardware was identical.
We have been told since a few years now (when the etron was out) that Jaguar has renegociated the term and condition of the battery warranty with LG to match the T&C Audi signed with them, and allow faster charge and better charging curve with the same battery. Never saw any update on that topic since then. I don't know where I get that feeling but I thought that the electronic modules inside the IPace are able to take 120kw, but are limited by software to 100kw due to the T&C signed with LG.
Most certainly not 100% on it. But I'm pretty sure I recall hearing that JLR transitioned to a new battery supplier for 2021 or 2022+. Pretty sure it was Samsung. Anyone is welcome to fact check me on that though.
I would think that a new battery would require a new BECM, or at least different BECS, but would love to be proven wrong!

#6 ·
March 28, 2022 article about who, the LG battery factory in Poland, makes batteries for. Notice the red line that goes to the I-Pace Magna factory in Austria. Of course they could have cancelled the contract with LG the day after this article was written. But batteries are in short supply and I wouldn't jump ship, when your current manufacturer is expanding their production.

Check Out Europe's Largest EV Battery Gigafactory In Poland (insideevs.com)

#7 · (Edited)
Motor Trend published a review of the 2022 I-PACE today. It was rather favorable yet predictable, but one bit was particularly interesting:
Since you mentioned the Motor Trend test... I'll make this short. Here are the comparisons of the 2019 and 2022 I-Pace handling tests.
Note the 2019 had 22" soft compound tires and the 2022 had hard tires. I suspect the antilock antispin is holding back the 2022 in the acceleration and handling despite the heavier weight of the 22' wheels.
Motor Trend Tests of I-Pace in 2019 & 2022
---------------------2019 I-Pace-----------2022 I-Pace
0-60mph-----------4.0 sec------------------4.2 sec.
1/4 mile time-----12.5 sec-----------------12.8 sec.
1/4 mile speed---110.1 mph-------------107.4 mph
Figure 8 time-----24.8 sec.--------------25.6 sec.
Figure 8 G (avg)--0.77--------------------0.73
Lateral G------------0.93 ------------------0.87
Tires-------------22"Pirellii PZero----20" Goodyear Sport
-------------------Max Performance-----All Season
Hardness---------280-AA A---------------560 AA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.