Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a safety design in the I-Pace that will stop inadvertent button push into Reverse when your driving Forward?
I would think that it will not go into reverse and or take out you transmission?
Thanks,
Shopman1

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,303 Posts
There is no transmission to get damaged by doing that. It just causes an instant reversal of the electric motors.

For the sake of discussion:
The buttons are separated by a neutral position. How could it determine what is intended vs. what is inadvertent?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wonder. There is a fixed gear transmission between the electric motor and the wheels. A sudden reversal of the electric motor could put an enormous strain on those gears, and other parts of the drivetrain. I would guess there is some computer program that would avoid anything bad happening, but I am not going to try to find out!

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
373 Posts
If you switched from drive to reverse while the car is moving, wouldn't you automatically go into regen or freewheel? Doesn't sound like a great experience and I'm not testing it, but if the car is moving opposite of the intended direction of the motors, I would think freewheel or regen would be the result. Any linkage between the motors and the wheels you would think would not be damaged since the settings/ability of the motors to put that much torque on the linkage shouldn't be possible. Not an expert, but this seems like a reasonable engineering result.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts