Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Although I thank Mr. Callum for his efforts, I think it is time for some fresh guidance. Having all models look very much alike was a fault of General Motors where people were wondering what's the difference between them besides nameplate and price tag. Sales were not as expected and bankruptcy followed. To me, Land Rovers have all come to look like Ford Explorer clones instead of distinctive designs (e.g. the old Range Rovers vs Discos/LR3/4 vs Defender), and there is little distinction between Jaguar models.

Somebody needs to come up with better names too. XE, XF, XJ and letter-Pace are not appealing names.

It's time for something new to revive sales and that usually does start with a change of leadership.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I agree that better EV names are badly needed. Just because EVs are techy doesn't mean their names should be. Of course Tesla tried to be Mercedes-like with S, X, 3, Y, Mercedes could do no better than EQC? BMW also kept to their 'conventions' and lacked creativity with i3, i8. IMHO only Porsche did it right with Taycon. Then you've got Chevy's Volt/Bolt. Then we have Audi's faux paus - not considering its direct neighbor's language: (https://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/13/oh-crap-audi-mucks-up-e-tron-name-in-french/).

So here's a question for this forum, what would YOU have renamed the I-Pace???

·
Registered
418 Posts
I don't know that I would rename it but I wouldn't have made the lower end entry-level SUV the "E" pace... People get very confused. Why would the nonelectric one be the E!!?

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
I don't know that I would rename it but I wouldn't have made the lower end entry-level SUV the "E" pace... People get very confused. Why would the nonelectric one be the E!!?
symmetry with e-type
same as f-type and f-pace
it was named before "e" was really on the radar

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think Jags are prettier than most cars out there, and the ipace is certainly striking to the eye... pace. But I wouldn't mind better naming. The Taycan, however, is terribly named. Taycan a dump. Taycan my ball and going home. Plus I knew a guy named Tay. So... he can!

Cayenne? Lame. Macan? Meh. So can pa. Cayman and Panamera? Yes, but better as Panamericana. I had a picture of it from the LA Times LA Auto Show issue up on my wall.

But at least it's not a VW Toerag.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Jags are prettier than most cars out there, and the ipace is certainly striking to the eye... pace. But I wouldn't mind better naming. The Taycan, however, is terribly named. Taycan a dump. Taycan my ball and going home. Plus I knew a guy named Tay. So... he can!

Cayenne? Lame. Macan? Meh. So can pa. Cayman and Panamera? Yes, but better as Panamericana. I had a picture of it from the LA Times LA Auto Show issue up on my wall.

But at least it's not a VW Toerag.
VW usually uses trade winds as naming convention, Golf (Gulf Stream), Jetta (Jet Stream), Passat (literally German for "trade wind"). The Touareg is named after a tribe of nomadic people in Africa, the Tuareg.

·
Registered
392 Posts
VW should have named it the Herero after the tribe in Namibia. Google the name and see what happened.

·
Registered
962 Posts
VW usually uses trade winds as naming convention, Golf (Gulf Stream), Jetta (Jet Stream), Passat (literally German for "trade wind"). The Touareg is named after a tribe of nomadic people in Africa, the Tuareg.
Oh, noble naming, no doubt. But they sometimes sound lame. My neighbor named his dog Jetta. It was a good name for a dog. OK for a car.

If I named cars, I'd give them acronyms based on their attributes:
The SCF, for slow car fast.
The HFS for holy fucking **** when you press the accelerator.

Like the Dodge GLH - goes like ****.
Or the Nissan Maxima and its 4DSC.

Ferrari can make name all their cars the PE.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Technically speaking... It should have been the E-Pace .... right?

·
Registered
572 Posts
If they had to stay with the "pace" thing, there could have been Pace-setter or Fast-pace. Maybe they're saving the latter for the SVR edition.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I was thinking they should have called the I-Pace The Leaper. That way if sales stunk, they could easily rebadge them as The Leper.

Reactions: dtgsrq

·
Registered
962 Posts
The Pacemaker? Because only old people can afford it?
The Carapace? Because... it's a car that looks kinda turtley?
The Pace Picante Sauce? It's pretty hot.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
No, Pace Picante is made in Texas. The Jaguar Arnold was made in Austria...

Reactions: jsimon7777
1 - 20 of 21 Posts