Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys:

I decided to partially de-badge my I-Pace. I always thought that there were too many badges on this car and I am thrilled with what I consider to be a much 'cleaner' look.

I heated each badge with a hair dryer on low setting and then used dental floss in a sawing motion, to cut through the adhesive. The whole job took about 10 minutes.

Attached is a pic showing the end result. I know others have done the same and some have changed the leaper to black but, for me, I prefer the chrome look.

Other pics also attached, to show the rest of the car. White exterior, Oyster interior and 22" wheels

I love the Oyster interior and, no, I have no trouble keeping it clean!

Best regards.

Roger

jag1.jpg
jag2.jpg
jag3.jpg
jag4.jpg
jag5.jpg
jag6.jpg
jag7.jpg
jag8.jpg

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
LOOKS so good. I am so torn about taking the badging off the rear (keeping the actual leaping Jaguar, of course). The EV400 is really the only way anyone knows the I-Pace is electric. I have lost count of how many people I have had to tell the I-Pace is all electric.

·
Registered
527 Posts
LOOKS so good. I am so torn about taking the badging off the rear (keeping the actual leaping Jaguar, of course). The EV400 is really the only way anyone knows the I-Pace is electric. I have lost count of how many people I have had to tell the I-Pace is all electric.
Agreed 100%. White is the only other color (than black) of I-Pace on which I can tolerate the doors' black striping. Consider this... if everyone has to be told the car is an EV, why bother keeping the "EV400" badging? I'm going on 18 months of ownership and still wrestling with 'shaving' the EV400 and the I-Pace badge from the rear. Maybe even 'blackening' the leaper (altough on a black car it would almost vanish). I've gotten more spontaneus compliments on this car than any I've owned, but the most common follow up question is "What is it?". And I must add the obligatory "Oh, and its ALL electric." as a punch line. A de-badging would really keep 'em guessing. I really wish I could remove the "Jaguar" badging on the side 'stripe' on the doors, but those are 'baked' in (I do think it can be ordered that way from the factory, so maybe that piece is replaceable??). The I-Pace is the only Jag with branding visible on the sides (other than the wheel growler centerpieces).

P.S. Was it realy that easy to remove yourself (the I-Pace and EV400 badges)? I'm concerned after 18 months mine might not come off as cleanly?

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
182 Posts
P.S. Was it realy that easy to remove yourself (the I-Pace and EV400 badges)? I'm concerned after 18 months mine might not come off as cleanly?
I bought a 2019 at the end of May (one month ago) and the car must be over a year old. I removed the badges myself with little issues. Here are the results:

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Agreed 100%. White is the only other color (than black) of I-Pace on which I can tolerate the doors' black striping. Consider this... if everyone has to be told the car is an EV, why bother keeping the "EV400" badging? I'm going on 18 months of ownership and still wrestling with 'shaving' the EV400 and the I-Pace badge from the rear. Maybe even 'blackening' the leaper (altough on a black car it would almost vanish). I've gotten more spontaneus compliments on this car than any I've owned, but the most common follow up question is "What is it?". And I must add the obligatory "Oh, and its ALL electric." as a punch line. A de-badging would really keep 'em guessing. I really wish I could remove the "Jaguar" badging on the side 'stripe' on the doors, but those are 'baked' in (I do think it can be ordered that way from the factory, so maybe that piece is replaceable??). The I-Pace is the only Jag with branding visible on the sides (other than the wheel growler centerpieces).

...we are all so funny. I love, I mean LOVE the black door striping and that is says Jaguar. I think this really sets the I-Pace apart from other EVs and European luxury vehicles. I think the black door striping adds character and prevents the car from looking slab sided and boring!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
...we are all so funny. I love, I mean LOVE the black door striping and that is says Jaguar. I think this really sets the I-Pace apart from other EVs and European luxury vehicles. I think the black door striping adds character and prevents the car from looking slab sided and boring!!
I agree. It's also a necessity part of the styling

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's been quite interesting to read commentary about aesthetics on this forum and realize that like most things in life, there is a vast range of opinions about every last component of the car. I've personally like the black stripe but with some caveats. I's clear that the designers wanted to break up the mass of the side of the car and insert a much more pronounced than usual crease into the sides, tying it horizontally with the black stripe at the hatch's lower end. The angled edges mirror those of the license plate recess. I think adding the Jaguar moniker may have been have been a way to say "hey- this may not look like a jaguar but really, it is" or simply an "F-you, please notice my Jag" which is how I see it. ;)
Personally I think the strip works best on cars where there is more contrast, and on cars that have black detailing. My issue remains twofold: the angle holds dirt and the gloss shows everything! I didn't want a black car because I didn't want the additional maintenance but I am finding myself cleaning the strip now more frequently. I call this my car bonding exercise....I'm also wondering if over time, this area will show more scratching and damage...TBD as the car is too new for me and I've been overly protective so far.
I've always withheld my opinions about color and color combinations as color is completely subjective. Some of the combinations people express as loving, I do not, but that's not important. Options for how one's car is detailed definitely changes the appearance and if making mods makes your day, then by all means....

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
182 Posts
Personally I think the strip works best on cars where there is more contrast, and on cars that have black detailing.
I wholeheartedly agree on the contrast point. I definitely wanted to see that black stripe on the side. I was only looking at colors that would enhance that contrast. Black or dark grey type color options were off the table for me while I was choosing which I-Pace I wanted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, it really was that easy to remove the badges.

Here is exactly what I did:

!: I left the car in the sun for an hour. Maybe not necessary?

2: I heated each letter or badge for a few seconds, using a hair dryer on low setting.

3: Immediately after heating, I used dental floss in a sawing motion, to cut through the adhesive. Using a thin plastic (credit card style) to lift the badges helps.

As I said, it only took around 10 minutes and, for those who are not sure about this, don't forget that you can always put the badges & letters back on as they are only affixed with double sided tape.

Roger

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yeah, I'm always worried if I do it I'll leave some scar on the paint or actually remove some paint.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
182 Posts
Yes, it really was that easy to remove the badges.

Here is exactly what I did:

!: I left the car in the sun for an hour. Maybe not necessary?

2: I heated each letter or badge for a few seconds, using a hair dryer on low setting.

3: Immediately after heating, I used dental floss in a sawing motion, to cut through the adhesive. Using a thin plastic (credit card style) to lift the badges helps.

As I said, it only took around 10 minutes and, for those who are not sure about this, don't forget that you can always put the badges & letters back on as they are only affixed with double sided tape.

Roger
I pretty much followed that technique when I did it. To be precise, I followed the @Bob O technique as follows:

I took the useful advise here and took off the “I Pace” and “EV 400 awd “ badges. It was way easy. I used a blow dryer and floss , then pulled off as much glue while gummy then used WD40 with towel and my thumb nail to loosen and take off the rest .

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
279 Posts
...Personally I think the strip works best on cars where there is more contrast, and on cars that have black detailing.......Some of the combinations people express as loving, I do not, but that's not important.....
Agree wholeheartedly. Color is very subjective. That said the contrast of the side panels is a positive feature to the brighter/lighter colors. I can not imagine my photon red FE w/o the black panels. Only wish I had got the black surround for the grill to complete the red/black package.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Only wish I had got the black surround for the grill to complete the red/black package.
Do what I did and take your car to one of those 'vehicle wrapping' places.

They blacked out the grill surround for me, plus all of the chrome window trim. Only took a few hours.

If I remember rightly, I paid about $300 and it was the best $300 I have ever spent! You won't regret it.

Take another look at my pics and you will see what I mean.

Roger

·
Registered
527 Posts
Do what I did and take your car to one of those 'vehicle wrapping' places.

They blacked out the grill surround for me, plus all of the chrome window trim. Only took a few hours.

If I remember rightly, I paid about $300 and it was the best $300 I have ever spent! You won't regret it.

Take another look at my pics and you will see what I mean.

Roger
Me, too, on my first (2019 FE) I-Pace. Also spent $300 to 'blacken' the silver grille ring and was happy with it. Of course when I ordered my 2020 HSE I selected that option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys:

I decided to partially de-badge my I-Pace. I always thought that there were too many badges on this car and I am thrilled with what I consider to be a much 'cleaner' look.

I heated each badge with a hair dryer on low setting and then used dental floss in a sawing motion, to cut through the adhesive. The whole job took about 10 minutes.

Attached is a pic showing the end result. I know others have done the same and some have changed the leaper to black but, for me, I prefer the chrome look.

Other pics also attached, to show the rest of the car. White exterior, Oyster interior and 22" wheels

I love the Oyster interior and, no, I have no trouble keeping it clean!

Best regards.

Roger

View attachment 4078 View attachment 4079 View attachment 4080 View attachment 4081 View attachment 4082 View attachment 4083 View attachment 4084 View attachment 4085

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I Pace fans. That ‘Black Striping’ some of you are commenting on is called the ‘Light Catcher’ and it is a very purposeful part of the design. Here’s a illustration from Jaguar that shows it on the I Pace:
197D65B5-D3E9-4A75-8094-4DB9B95CC809.jpeg

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ukjack77, do we take the name 'lightcatcher' literally or does the name have some other significance?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts