Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I never thought much about the Mach-E, but I saw a light blue one in person driving, and it was stunning - that particular color is the only one I find that attractive - the GT should be worth a good look. View attachment 5961 - the rest are OK..
Hi, could you elaborate a bit more on this comparison?

I just had the opportunity to test drive an ipace but unfortunately it was a very basic dealer loaner model. It drove well but I was a bit underwhelmed by the experience... But like I said, it was an older, very basic model.

What are the features of the ipace you particularly preferred over the mach-e given that you've driven both? I also drove a mache and found it quite nice, both the drive and the interior. I kind of WANT to prefer the ipace but based on that experience it didn't really stand out. So would love to hear more specific thoughts.

·
Registered
X2, I-Pace
45 Posts

I just had the opportunity to test drive an ipace but unfortunately it was a very basic dealer loaner model. It drove well but I was a bit underwhelmed by the experience... But like I said, it was an older, very basic model.

What are the features of the ipace you particularly preferred over the mach-e given that you've driven both? I also drove a mache and found it quite nice, both the drive and the interior. I kind of WANT to prefer the ipace but based on that experience it didn't really stand out. So would love to hear more specific thoughts.
I was just commenting on that particular color and how much I liked the way it looked. I have never driven the Mach-E, so can't really compare the driving experience.

·
Registered
2019 HSE First Edition
22 Posts

I thought both cars were great, overall. And generally, what you feel about them will depend somewhat on your age and what your expectation for "luxury" is. For comparison purposes, I have a 2019 HSE First Edition, which came with just about all the options available.

I'd describe the I-Pace as a 21st century edition of a 20th century luxury car, with super-comfortable leather seats, leather dash, wood trim, carbon fiber, and suede. Everything about it speaks to a posh quality level, IMHO. No cheap plastic trim in the interior.

And the I-Pace is amazingly high-tech. It took me two weeks of reading the manual, cover to cover, before I felt like I could operate the features. After six months, I’m still looking things up.

I'd say the I-Pace has the look-and-feel (and familiarity) of a modern ICE car, not dominated by the large infotainment screen, and still retaining some pushbuttons and knobs.

In the Mach-E, I felt like I was in a ground-up 2021 car. It felt modern, clean, and hi-tech (even though the Jaguar is more of a hi-tech vehicle). It felt like the future of automobiles. When I said it felt “utilitarian”, that may have been a bit harsh…but you get the idea. It was sportier.

The I-Pace was faster than the 346 HP Mach-e that I drove. And the Mach-E didn’t have the I-Pace’s bells and whistles. But that’s what I’d expect for the difference in price. A 2022 version of my I-Pace would cost US$79,000 before taxes, while the Mach-E Premium Extended-Range AWD is US$55,300. Many of the guys on this forum know a lot more about the I-Pace tech than I do, so there may be more value in the higher price than I know about

If you like the Mach-E, and are happy with the features it has, I’d give it strong consideration when it becomes available. Don’t worry about what you’re missing with the I-Pace.

Different as they are, I’d be happy to own either one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks this is SUPER helpful feedback. I have read a few threads that are older on this topic, mostly from before the Mach-e was available. I know several people have tried both and even own both.

I know the I-Pace has a more upscale interior (although I didnt experience it with my loaner!) but I did find the Mach-e to be pretty pleasant and airy. Thought I would HATE the screen, but found it at least as intuitive as the I-Pace interface.

Interesting to hear your comments on the "tech" of the cars - I dont really know what it refers to. What are some of the more useful or interesting things you have found? I kind of assumed that in terms of tech the Mach-e might have an edge with Blue Cruise coming out as I dont think I-pace has anything similar...

I am considering the GT and the I-Pace and would love any experiences and feedback people have that might help guide my decision? The money difference isnt a major issue for me, assuming there are reasons to spend more for the I-Pace.

I know they are both great cars so am not looking to start a flaming discussion, but definitely appreciate any informed feedback people might have....thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
WP, If money ain't an issue then I don't think the Mach-e is a contender. Figure out what type of car you want and go with that. eTron GT is low slung, wide, not much interior space, but it's a great road car ... I-Pace has a better balance between exterior and interior dimensions (i.e., you get more interior space for the exterior footprint). I-Pace sits higher by a lot. I-Pace can go offroad.

GT is similar to Taycan due to same platform. GT and Taycan have faster charging on DCFC. Have I mentioned that GT and I-Pace are two pretty different cars ;) Figure out what type of car you want. 🍺

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks appreciate the reply.
Do you think the biggest difference is the quality of the interior materials?
I know you say that money aside they're not even close, just curious as to why.
I've heard very positive things about the ride of the GT... So I'm just wondering where you see the big gaps...

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
724 Posts
..... Figure out what type of car you want. 🍺
The most important point.

Then: Test drive the type you want and some of the others. Your preference will be personal. As with many higher priced cars the pros and cons will be very subjective - as is evident from a few posters who didn't fully evaluate the I-Pace before buying.

I love the car - quality, drive, looks etc, but my opinion is not what matters - yours (and spouse's?) is the only opinion that matters.

PS I was a Ford guy for many years. However, there is no comparison (in my view) between the I-Pace and the MachE in terms of luxury/comfort feel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for this - I totally agree! The challenge I am having is that I have not yet been able to test drive a model similar to what I would purchase. There are few around in my area. I was scheduled to drive one on Friday (it only arrived to the dealer on Thursday!) and then was notified it was sold an hour before the test drive!

I am still working on finding one, but the reason I am asking all these questions is the dealers near me only have order slots available so I would need to order without a complete test drive of a newer, more upscale model.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I saw a recent video on Sandy Monroe’s YouTube channel where he takes a ride in the Mustang With Blue Cruise. Compared to to GM Super Cruise or Tesla’s technology, it is not impressive. It didn’t work around curves! I think the Ford representative was embarrassed. He stated that it would be updated in the future.

I haven’t driven the Mustang yet. I drove the Jaguar in 2020, and was impressed by it. I just don’t have a local dealership. It‘s a 90 minute ride to the closest Jaguar dealership.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts