Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
For makes terrible seats. Probably the worst seats. By a country mile.

The Ford looks like a somewhat less attractive version of the I-Pace.

Of course Ford will sell more. Ford vs Jag? Not a real comparison.

I'll stick with the Jag.

Reactions: DocHudson

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wanted an electric sports car with a touch of luxury. The I-Pace came closest to satisfying that last summer. Still does, unless you pay well over $100k for a Taycan.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I wanted an electric sports car with a touch of luxury. The I-Pace came closest to satisfying that last summer. Still does, unless you pay well over $100k for a Taycan.
You could actually pay about $70K for the Audi E-Tron Sportback and get similar luxury to the I-Pace, but you'd be giving up even more range than our kitties.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You could actually pay about $70K for the Audi E-Tron Sportback and get similar luxury to the I-Pace, but you'd be giving up even more range than our kitties.
Not last September. Would never own an Audi. Too many friends and colleagues were burned by the junk box 100LS and Fox models in the '70s. Irrational, maybe, but there are other good choices around.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'm cur
Not last September. Would never own an Audi. Too many friends and colleagues were burned by the junk box 100LS and Fox models in the '70s. Irrational, maybe, but there are other good choices around.
Well, I'm talking about now, I have no idea what was happening last September. The MSRP on an E-tron Sportback with Premium trim is $71,580 and that's before you start dealing. Sure MSRPs are higher with added goodies, but I've heard there are substantial discounts off of MSRP on the E-Tron. And to be fair, most reviews of the E-Tron, aside from poor range, have been very favorable. IMO it certainly has the interior luxury quotient of the I-Pace.

As most EV buyers know, the deal-breaker for many on the E-Tron is the range.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Etrons around the gta seem to be rarer than Ipaces - or im not noticing them as they look similar to Q5s. I think Audi dropped the price a bit - was initially more than an ipace for fully loaded.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Etrons around the gta seem to be rarer than Ipaces - or im not noticing them as they look similar to Q5s. I think Audi dropped the price a bit - was initially more than an ipace for fully loaded.
Here in N.Y. I can't recall seeing a single one, but you're right, I could have missed them given their similar appearance to the Q5. As for pricing, it looks like they followed the JLR model. Both the I-Pace & E-Tron weren't selling, so prices dropped. At this point, both are excellent values given their luxury quotient.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here in N.Y. I can't recall seeing a single one, but you're right, I could have missed them given their similar appearance to the Q5. As for pricing, it looks like they followed the JLR model. Both the I-Pace & E-Tron weren't selling, so prices dropped. At this point, both are excellent values given their luxury quotient.
I test drove the E-tron (MSRP $79K premium plus) same day as the I-Pace (MSRP $89K SE) and are completely different vehicles IMO. I found the E-tron interior a little bit more luxurious and the ride was super smooth but without any excitement. If my goal was a vehicle for longer trips (beyond current battery limits) the E-tron would have been a great choice; but my goal was for small commute (less than 30 miles each way) and having a smile in my face was the decision factor for choosing the I-Pace without compromising on interior luxury. Also, like everyone mentioned, I can’t tell apart the E-tron from all other Audi’s without really paying attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
The E-tron SUV has less range than the I-Pace, but has a charging curve that's more favorable to road trips. Bjorn Nyland does a 1000km challenge that shows this discrepancy.

This could all change if JLR issues a long-rumored but unlikely update that enables faster charging speeds.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Good luck to us on that charging dream. The Audi is just meh. Sat in one. Did not like.

A Taycan I can see doing someday. Maybe gen 2?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Folks, I said I was looking for an electric sports car. The E-Tron, in either form, sure doesn't look sporty and nothing in any review indicates it drives like a sports car.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
So I finally got to sit and look at the car I had initially put a deposit on, the Mach E. My first reaction looking at the exterior was that it was nice, but nothing special.

The odd entry doors were better than I expected, but the interior was worse than I expected. Sitting in the car the center touch screen presented a large, hulking, unattractive (IMO) look. Very disappointing. My wife commented, "Wow, this looks far less luxurious than your car". With that said, the screen was very responsive and the resolution was quite nice.

The other interesting thing was how comfortable the rear seats were. I can't recall sitting in rear seats that were so heavily padded and cumfy.

I'm sure for those that find the interior attractive, or at least functional, this will be a very nice car to drive. However this is truly a different class of car than the kitty.

I didn't even ask for a test drive even after the salesman asked if I'd like one.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
So I finally got to sit and look at the car I had initially put a deposit on, the Mach E. My first reaction looking at the exterior was that it was nice, but nothing special.

The odd entry doors were better than I expected, but the interior was worse than I expected. Sitting in the car the center touch screen presented a large, hulking, unattractive (IMO) look. Very disappointing. My wife commented, "Wow, this looks far less luxurious than your car". With that said, the screen was very responsive and the resolution was quite nice.

The other interesting thing was how comfortable the rear seats were. I can't recall sitting in rear seats that were so heavily padded and cumfy.

I'm sure for those that find the interior attractive, or at least functional, this will be a very nice car to drive. However this is truly a different class of car than the kitty.

I didn't even ask for a test drive even after the salesman asked if I'd like one.
Very good write up

The last few EVs I text drove, I was teaching the sales person about EVs, how they work etc.
Dealers can care less about them.

Although my Jaguar dealer in Fresno California (Ag town with no EVs) had an EV specials that knew everything about the I-Pace

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't drive cars with econobox interiors. Sorry, Ford.
I don't think the interior and fit/finish of the Ipace gets enough praise compared to the competition. I wouldn't except a poor interior, misaligned panels, rattles... for 25% more range or faster charging. On the other hand would sacrifice range, charging for a nicer car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It lists practicality and cargo space as pros for the Mach-e, saying the space "behind the rear seats" is bigger than the I-Pace.

How is that possible when boot space (as per European specs) is 20% smaller on the Mach-e?

I don't know how they measure it in the US but in Europe there's a specific standard (as always) so I trust the results. Also, judging by videos the boot space of the Mach-e looks small for a car of this size.

·
Registered
2019 HSE First Edition
22 Posts
My intended Mach-E was an extended range, Premium AWD, and I believe it was (is) a great value for the money. I test-drove several, and was happy with the performance and utility.

But the I-Pace is on a different level with respect to luxury and features. After driving an I-Pace, the Mach-E felt too utilitarian by comparison. And since I found a used I-Pace with only 8k miles, I didn't pay much more than I would have for the Mach-E.

I'm happy with the choice... but I do believe the ownership experience will be better with the Ford, thanks to their dealer and parts network.

·
Registered
X2, I-Pace
45 Posts
I never thought much about the Mach-E, but I saw a light blue one in person driving, and it was stunning - that particular color is the only one I find that attractive - the GT should be worth a good look.
- the rest are OK..

21 - 40 of 49 Posts