Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a Mach-E on the local dealership lot and took some side-by-sides. Also shared them at the ipaceforums site. I think I'd be tempted to go with the Mach-E (GT) if I was shopping today. Slightly faster charging speeds and hands-free highway driving would be icing on the cake.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Great pictures, thanks for sharing! The Mustang looks good, but not as good as the I-Pace; the snout is too big.

I don't understand the long snout on EV SUVs. Ian Callum had it right when he designed the I-Pace: maximize interior space, minimize exterior dimensions. EVs provide the opportunity because you don't need a big engine compartment in the front.

I predict that our I-Paces will be exceptional and iconic cars in 15 years because of the uncompromising but beautiful design and because of their rarity.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
724 Posts
I find it hard to believe that these two cars came off completely separate design drawing boards.
I appreciate that there are only so many ways to skin the aerodynamics cat, but compare these two with the Tesla models, the e-Tron, the Bolt/Volt etc.
Nope, not buying the thought that these were independently designed.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nope, not buying the thought that these were independently designed.
To be fair, the Mach-E team did innovate with the mustache grill, door handle deletion and a ground clearance that's lower than a Camry's!

Kidding aside, the Mach-E is a beautiful vehicle and a welcome mainstream entry into the market. Vehicles like the Mach-E, F-150 EV and Hummer EV will do wonders in raising the profile and adoption of EVs in my part of the world.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I prefer the look of I Pace, but the Mach E is not bad looking at all. The longer snout offers a more useful frunk, but in practice, I never find myself wishing for a bigger frunk. I'm also guessing the longer front is is contributing to the Mach E slightly worse drag coefficient.

I prefer the I Pace interior based on photos. Perhaps being in the Mach E is better than it looks, but I still think the I Pace has the nicest BEV interior.

I'm torn on the door handles. I honestly don't like the I Pace retractible door handles because they rattle just a bit when shutting the door while extended. On an otherwise solid and rattle-free car, the door handles are the only irritating noise. As for the Mach E, if that design proves to be robust and trouble free, then that's a design win, but I'd rather just have regular door handles for now.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
373 Posts
As a former Mach E GT reservation holder, I can't say enough how I much prefer the I-Pace over the Mach E. Exterior styling (although the GT is much better than the non-GT's in my opinion), interior styling, luxury, performance when compared to the non-GT's, and exclusivity are all clear winners for the I-Pace. I really see the cars as not in the same category for comparison. The only thing going for the Mach E is there "probably" will be more effort to improve the car with software, possibly better dealer maintenance experience, somewhat faster charging, and about 50 miles more range depending on trim level with no real difference comparing the I-Pace and the GT.

For me, the design, luxury, performance, and exclusivity are head and shoulders above the Mach E. I paid about the same for my I-Pace SE last year as I would have paid for a new Mach E GT. For my money, the I-Pace is the clear winner.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
As a former Mach E GT reservation holder, I can't say enough how I much prefer the I-Pace over the Mach E. Exterior styling (although the GT is much better than the non-GT's in my opinion), interior styling, luxury, performance when compared to the non-GT's, and exclusivity are all clear winners for the I-Pace. I really see the cars as not in the same category for comparison. The only thing going for the Mach E is there "probably" will be more effort to improve the car with software, possibly better dealer maintenance experience, somewhat faster charging, and about 50 miles more range depending on trim level with no real difference comparing the I-Pace and the GT.

For me, the design, luxury, performance, and exclusivity are head and shoulders above the Mach E. I paid about the same for my I-Pace SE last year as I would have paid for a new Mach E GT. For my money, the I-Pace is the clear winner.
As Doc knows I too was a former ME reservation holder. I agree with almost all of your post, but for most EV buyers the range & price advantage of the ME will win the day. I think there's little doubt too that Ford will have a significant service advantage over the I-Pace. I agree with the assumption that there will be far less ME owners leaving a Ford service department with unresolved issues & unavailable parts as compared to what so many have experienced here with some of the pitiful Jag service department experiences.

I love the I-Pace, but I'm just trying to be unbiased.

·
Registered
382 Posts
As Doc knows I too was a former ME reservation holder. I agree with almost all of your post, but for most EV buyers the range & price advantage of the ME will win the day. I think there's little doubt too that Ford will have a significant service advantage over the I-Pace. I agree with the assumption that there will be far less ME owners leaving a Ford service department with unresolved issues & unavailable parts as compared to what so many have experienced here with some of the pitiful Jag service department experiences.

I love the I-Pace, but I'm just trying to be unbiased.
Concern for me. An electric car could last easily over a decade but still need the manufacturer to address electrical issues. Where do we go if Jag goes down the drain? Sciencegeek mentioned ipace becoming iconic in 15 yrs. I hope so - could go the other way and be worth nothing in 5 yrs. Hoping for the former. Its such a great car.

·
Registered
2020 S
110 Posts
I've got no regrets cancelling my Mach-E reservation to buy the I-Pace. I think the Mach-E is the best EV in it's price range, but a discounted I-Pace was enough of an improvement to justify the extra cost to me. My biggest issues with the Mach-E are that it isn't available with leather, has minivan tires, and Ford couldn't deliver it in late 2020 as originally expected due to the 'rona. The last reason isn't really relevant anymore to new shoppers, and the GT fixes the tire issue. I really dislike that a lot of the EV's are only sold with vegan interiors. I get that there's a market for animal free materials and that those materials continue to improve, but when you live in the south, leather still beats hot plastic.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Concern for me. An electric car could last easily over a decade but still need the manufacturer to address electrical issues. Where do we go if Jag goes down the drain? Sciencegeek mentioned ipace becoming iconic in 15 yrs. I hope so - could go the other way and be worth nothing in 5 yrs. Hoping for the former. Its such a great car.
That’s my concern too. Depreciation on the I-Pace is already pretty steep, but more trouble in JLR land won’t help the I-Pace values. 😔

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
724 Posts
That’s my concern too. Depreciation on the I-Pace is already pretty steep, but more trouble in JLR land won’t help the I-Pace values. 😔
So long as it lasts 10-15yrs, I don't care what it is worth. Yes, I recognize resale value is somewhat determined by whether the car still runs, but we should be focused on the reliability and potential maintenance costs/technicians.
All EV's should benefit from a lack of moving parts, and so we reduce the issue to electronics being reliable - I'm guessing many of us have 10yr old PC's that still run, albeit with older versions of Windows software.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fellow (ex) MME reservation holder here.

In the one year between my reservation and its cancellation, the number of available used i-Paces multiplied and therefore I could find a slightly used Jaguar for the same money than I would pay for the (Premium, Standard Range as per US spec) AWD MME I had reserved.

So, for me, it was a no-brainer to buy a car with much better performance, better range, better build and options (audio system etc.) and much better driving dynamics (as per reviews) than the MME.

Yes, the Ford is a newer car and might have some advantages too (some electronics, charging speed etc.) but overall I think there's no comparison.

The only things I'm worried about are pretty much what everyone's worried about, i.e. Jaguar's long term future (and any implications this will have in terms of maintenance and parts availability) and, to me, repair costs when the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Test drove the ME and first impression was this is a great vehicle (glad to see a dashboard screen, very comfortable, nice tech, looks nice). However, ten minutes into driving it, the very comfortable seats began to feel not so comfortable and my legs were getting numb (not sure why), the interior did not feel as premium for its price, and the initial wow impression began to fade. The next day we test drove, the e-tron and finally the I-Pace. The ME does not come close to the level of comfort and well design implementation of the 3 screens the I-Pace has. In my opinion the I-Pace has the perfect balance between legacy hard buttons and fully electronic controls. Yes, the I-Pace is a more expensive vehicle but personally the ME has too many compromises in the comfort/luxury category for the price being asked. The ME was not the GT version, but for a vehicle that will have a much higher sticker price, its incredible performance will not overcome the interior shortcomings. Maybe if I was looking for a different type of vehicle (drag racing at every light) it may be a great choice but for our current needs, the I-Pace definitely surpasses our 1st EV must have’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
716 Posts
Those seats on the Mach-E needs to go. Totally unsupportive in spirited driving. The tires squeal in agony. Forget about taking this "SUV" off-road because the ground clearance is the same as the Camry's. If anything, I am more incline to get the Polestar 2 than the Mach-E.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
For me off-roading was never part of the equation, but the I-Pace checked enough of the other boxes for me. To be honest, I didn’t even need an SUV or crossover type vehicle either. If the I-Pace had been offered in a sedan, I would have been perfectly happy.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
373 Posts
Thanks Ken.

Price advantage is a key. Budget is budget. Luckily for me the I-Pace was "on sale" for about the same price as the Mach E GT. I'd probably still be patiently waiting for the MME GT right now if the I-Pace was anything close to original sticker like the Mach E is. I also think the service advantage will be there for Ford, but since we are in the early going for the Mach E it still is a question how prepared the dealers really are.

So long as it lasts 10-15yrs, I don't care what it is worth. Yes, I recognize resale value is somewhat determined by whether the car still runs, but we should be focused on the reliability and potential maintenance costs/technicians.
I too plan to have the I-Pace for a while. 10 years isn't out of the question based on my annual driving right now. I'm not too concerned about depreciation either due to that longer horizon.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
373 Posts
For me off-roading was never part of the equation, but the I-Pace checked enough of the other boxes for me. To be honest, I didn’t even need an SUV or crossover type vehicle either. If the I-Pace had been offered in a sedan, I would have been perfectly happy.
Agree with all of that, although I still don't think of the I-Pace as an SUV. It feels more like a sedan with a hatchback. Perfect combination of style and utility.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Well PS, it's a vehicle (V, check); it has tons of utility (U, check); and it's quite sporty (S, check) :LOL:
Stumped by science 😑
You are correct

1 - 20 of 49 Posts