Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
2019 HSE, Santorini Black, Light Oyster, HUD, Adaptive Dynamics.
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New owner here in Cincinnati, Ohio. Was deciding between a Model Y and an I pace, and a dealer near me had a 2019 HSE left on the lot that they were trying to sell. Ended up getting about 40% off MSRP when you add the tax credit, so I was pretty thrilled.

I love the car, and am happy to finally upgrade to a full EV. Few questions I have for more experienced users.

1: Is there anyway to stop the back up sound? Or where is the speaker located? Or a fuse?

2. I cannot for the life of me to get smart settings to create a profile. Is there a trick to this? How do I get this to work?

3. It seems like the car has a mind of its own sometimes... Deciding when it wants to switch heights, or turn off climate settings. Is this normal? Also, it automatically turns off if I open the drivers door, can this be changed?

4. The car always starts in comfort mode, is there a way to change the default to eco, or is this a smart settings thing? (See #2.)

I'm also looking for the best tips to get the most out of what I have in regards to customization and personalization, so please throw them my way. Glad to be a part of the community!

Super Moderator
Woohoo, great! Congrats on the new ride.
Yeah as your post illustrates, the car has a few quirks :)

1: Is there anyway to stop the back up sound? Or where is the speaker located? Or a fuse?
Nope. 馃が

2. I cannot for the life of me to get smart settings to create a profile. Is there a trick to this? How do I get this to work?
I don't use profiles. Others here do so they can give advice. If you're the only driver you don't really need profiles because you can set up a home screen the way you like it and make it the default. (But there may be other benefits that I don't know about.)

3. It seems like the car has a mind of its own sometimes... Deciding when it wants to switch heights, or turn off climate settings. Is this normal? Also, it automatically turns off if I open the drivers door, can this be changed?
Turning off climate settings is definitely not normal. Please see my advice regarding software updates below.
The only way we've figured out to keep the car on while opening the door is, believe it or not:
Put into N
Engage parking brake.
Now you can open the door without the car shutting off.

4. The car always starts in comfort mode, is there a way to change the default to eco, or is this a smart settings thing? (See #2.)
Nope. 馃が
Always defaults to Comfort. Drives me nuts, I'd like to keep it in Dynamic!

I'm also looking for the best tips to get the most out of what I have in regards to customization and personalization, so please throw them my way. Glad to be a part of the community!
Yeah you've come to the right place.

If you have a 2019 most likely the software has not been updated. Before I point you in that direction, I'd encourage you to systematically go through both the dashboard settings that you access with the steering wheel control, and through the main screen settings and options. I spent hours rummaging through settings when I first go the beast and it was worth it.

Once you get to know your kitty you'll love it, warts and all 馃嵑

Registered
First- everything that sciencegeek said!

I'm a novice owner (<2 months) and too have been trying to understand the car functioning, variables etc. So many things to learn and little by little am getting a handle. That said, II still am unable to understand how/if possible to control the automatic rising and lowering of the vehicle. I asked the service manager about it when I brought the car in - he actually saw it drop - and told me to toggle the Auto Access Height off - but it was OFF. He couldn't explain. I frequently drive in dynamic mode and assumed that somehow that setting was causing the automatic adjustments which are supposed to be part of that mode but have also seen this occur in comfort mode so clearly the dynamic mode thesis doesn't explain it.

I'm also finding unexpected rising when I start and depart at times (not consistently) and have seen this happen at a light once when the car spontaneously dropped down (that time I believe I was in dynamic yet it's the only time I am aware of it happening) . I'll keep assessing the situation as I actually want the car at normal height for exiting - I don't know what genius engineer thought that lower was better, but must have been younger than 40....

Maybe someone else has a good handle on this phenomenon and can enlighten us all.

This forum has many answers to most of your questions as mostly (hopefully) all possible issues have been addressed. People here are immensely helpful and supportive. We are all learning together!

Registered
Welcome to the forum, SlyFox! The only way I can keep the car "running" and open the door is to not put on the seatbelt, put the car in Park, put my foot on the brake pedal and open the door. If I'm only backing out of the garage and want to load passengers or cargo I don't put on my seatbelt and the car will stay on if my foot is firmly on the brake pedal when I open the door. Sciencegeek has postulated that it's probably a software bug but I'll take it!

Registered
Nope. 馃が
I don't know is that S20A update or profiles + update, but my car does remember if I leave it in ECO mode.
I've been on the road trip 2 days ago and every time I got in it would start in ECO where I left him.
Today, just because of this post, I checked on him again - and it still started in ECO.

I have to try will it do the same with Dynamic mode.

Registered
The car starting in comfort mode was originally tied to a strange European law that required the car to start in the same configuration that was tested by the WTLP (European version on the EPA) for fuel economy ratings. Maybe 20A changed that for the North American market. Definitely worth testing!

Registered
I don't know is that S20A update or profiles + update, but my car does remember if I leave it in ECO mode.
I've been on the road trip 2 days ago and every time I got in it would start in ECO where I left him.
Today, just because of this post, I checked on him again - and it still started in ECO.

Mine always starts in Comfort mode and I need to move it manually to ECO mode if that's what I choose. I do believe that's the expected behavior as I thought I'd read something like that in the manual. The car will always default to Comfort mode. So it seems yours is the rare kitty. I'd like mine to do that too.

On the other issue of the car turning off, I can confirm that the only time that doesn't occur is if you drive from point A to point B at a slow speed. So if I come in to my condo development from a normal trip and stop at the mailbox, the car will turn off when I exit. But now if I drive from the mailbox to my driveway at the required slow speed limit within the condo, I can get out and the car will remain on.

Others have tried this and I believe that's the normal behavior.

Registered
Others have tried this and I believe that's the normal behavior.
Is there "normal" I-Pace behavior? 馃ゴ Normal would be easier to determine if we were all on the same software for all modules. I think I'm 4 software updates behind just for the TCU. This phenomenon makes it difficult to help new members.

Registered
2019 HSE, Santorini Black, Light Oyster, HUD, Adaptive Dynamics.
Discussion Starter #9

I had them do a full update campaign when I bought it. Is that the 20A you are talking about? How do I check?

Registered
I had them do a full update campaign when I bought it. Is that the 20A you are talking about? How do I check?
Press the Settings icon, select All Settings, select Software Update and scroll down to the Infotainment software version.

For the new members, the Infotainment software naming convention starts with the year of the release followed by a letter A, B, C, D that indicates if it's the first update for the year (20A), second update (20B), etc. 18D would be the 4th update for 2018.

Registered
I just tested Eco mode persistence and the car still acts as before - starting up in Comfort mode. It isn't unusual for each I-Pace to act differently as there are 38 modules running software and who knows what's been updated or not. This will get even crazier when new members join who own a MY2021 car. New infotainment system and whatever updates that we will have difficulty providing advice with or help troubleshooting a problem.

Registered
I just tested Eco mode persistence and the car still acts as before - starting up in Comfort mode. It isn't unusual for each I-Pace to act differently as there are 38 modules running software and who knows what's been updated or not. This will get even crazier when new members join who own a MY2021 car. New infotainment system and whatever updates that we will have difficulty providing advice with or help troubleshooting a problem.
Curt, was there ever a software iteration in NA where the system retained the last driving mode by design?

Registered
Curt, was there ever a software iteration in NA where the system retained the last driving mode by design?
That's a tough question because I have no idea what software many of the modules are using. But looking at the release notes and user comments, I don't think think it was intended to make the last mode setting persistent. However, slawach's experience makes it possible. These are the issues that make me crazy because how is the consumer supposed to know what is normal, what is a bug, and what is abnormal to the point we need to contact our service department. And, how is the service department supposed to know how to troubleshoot? It's similar to a business using Windows 2000, XP, ME and Windows 10 at the same time. I understand Jaguar is doing the best they can to send patches out to fix customer complaints but perhaps Tesla's method to just force the update against owner agreement is better but you'd have to tell me how things were in Tesla forums trying to help with member questions. Were things as disjointed as they are here?

Registered
So I did try dynamic mode. Switched from ECO to Dynamic and made a quick run for grocery. When I got back the car switched back to Comfort mode. I returned home in ECO mode and... it also switches back to Comfort now馃槀.

So it seems that might car was just stuck in ECO mode (or just display) and didn't change until I manually changed it.

Registered
So I did try dynamic mode. Switched from ECO to Dynamic and made a quick run for grocery. When I got back the car switched back to Comfort mode. I returned home in ECO mode and... it also switches back to Comfort now馃槀.

So it seems that might car was just stuck in ECO mode (or just display) and didn't change until I manually changed it.
I was hoping! Sorry it didn't stick.

Registered
That's a tough question because I have no idea what software many of the modules are using. But looking at the release notes and user comments, I don't think think it was intended to make the last mode setting persistent. However, slawach's experience makes it possible. These are the issues that make me crazy because how is the consumer supposed to know what is normal, what is a bug, and what is abnormal to the point we need to contact our service department. And, how is the service department supposed to know how to troubleshoot? It's similar to a business using Windows 2000, XP, ME and Windows 10 at the same time. I understand Jaguar is doing the best they can to send patches out to fix customer complaints but perhaps Tesla's method to just force the update against owner agreement is better but you'd have to tell me how things were in Tesla forums trying to help with member questions. Were things as disjointed as they are here?
So first off, IIRC, the I-Pace manual does state it will always revert to Comfort mode. So I鈥檓 guessing slawach鈥檚 behavior is a bug, albeit a beneficial bug IMO. Edit: I just saw his mode behavior has now reverted to 鈥榥ormal鈥.

In the Tesla world there was more continuity, but with a caveat. Since there were so many iterations of the MS as an example, certain cars were 鈥榚ligible鈥 for certain software updates that other models of the MS weren鈥檛. So even there we weren鈥檛 all running the same software, but that was by design.

Then there was the issue of timing. I might get a software update a month later that the guy down the block. To this day the Tesla update distribution rationale remains a mystery.

With that said, I think there was a higher degree of certainty in response to issues that some were having on the Tesla forum. The sheer number of Teslas out there helped in diagnosing issues. Somebody out there almost certainly had your issue. Of course that didn鈥檛 help with the level of frustration that many had since many owners had so many issues. Aside from squeaks, rattles and the like, I was one of the lucky ones with only a clogged windshield washer line and a yellowed center LCD screen as my issues...oh, forgot, I had a defective door handle when I took ownership.

I will say this, the door handle and clogged washer line were both handled by the Tesla in-home van service. That was a great service. I only needed a service center visit for the yellow screen.

Registered
Hi All,

New owner here in Cincinnati, Ohio. Was deciding between a Model Y and an I pace, and a dealer near me had a 2019 HSE left on the lot that they were trying to sell. Ended up getting about 40% off MSRP when you add the tax credit, so I was pretty thrilled.

I love the car, and am happy to finally upgrade to a full EV. Few questions I have for more experienced users.

Woohoo, great! Congrats on the new ride.
Yeah as your post illustrates, the car has a few quirks :)

Nope. 馃が

I don't use profiles. Others here do so they can give advice. If you're the only driver you don't really need profiles because you can set up a home screen the way you like it and make it the default. (But there may be other benefits that I don't know about.)

Turning off climate settings is definitely not normal. Please see my advice regarding software updates below.
The only way we've figured out to keep the car on while opening the door is, believe it or not:
Put into N
Engage parking brake.
Now you can open the door without the car shutting off.

Nope. 馃が

Yeah you've come to the right place.

If you have a 2019 most likely the software has not been updated. Before I point you in that direction, I'd encourage you to systematically go through both the dashboard settings that you access with the steering wheel control, and through the main screen settings and options. I spent hours rummaging through settings when I first go the beast and it was worth it.

Once you get to know your kitty you'll love it, warts and all 馃嵑
Some of those are required by the regulations

I thought it always started in comfort mode as it is required by the regulation and it is the case for my car. I would like to see how to change that . Edited: I just saw that your Kitty is not doing it anymore.
We are dealing with software and we all knew even the best computers can do strange things without explanations.

Registered
In the Tesla world there was more continuity, but with a caveat. Since there were so many iterations of the MS as an example, certain cars were 鈥榚ligible鈥 for certain software updates that other models of the MS weren鈥檛. So even there we weren鈥檛 all running the same software, but that was by design.

With that said, I think there was a higher degree of certainty in response to issues that some were having on the Tesla forum. The sheer number of Teslas out there helped in diagnosing issues. Somebody out there almost certainly had your issue. Of course that didn鈥檛 help with the level of frustration that many had since many owners had so many issues. Aside from squeaks, rattles and the like, I was one of the lucky ones with only a clogged windshield washer line and a yellowed center LCD screen as my issues...oh, forgot, I had a defective door handle when I took ownership.
When I was new to this forum most of us were on 18C or 18D and there was a general consensus as to what was normal behavior of the car. That being said, my problems with the BSM and adaptive cruise control (ACC) were not seen by the other members. The ACC has improved with subsequent updates but still occasionally will stay locked on to a car after it switches lanes and if the other car slows, the ACC will unexpectedly apply the brakes. While on 18D it locked onto a slow moving truck that was never in my lane and applied the brakes. I was nearly rear ended. I haven't seen such egregious behavior since 19A but I do drive with my foot near the accelerator just in case.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts