Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We took our i-Pace to the top of Pikes Peak today. For those who are not familiar with this drive, we live 18 miles from the ranger station that is the beginning of Pikes Peak Highway. Our home is at about 5200 ft. elevation. Pikes Peak is 14,111 ft. elevation. So basically a 9000 ft. climb. We had no idea what kind of hit this would be as far as range going up or what we would regen on the trip down. Well it was interesting... largely how the i-Pace reports all that gain from regenerative charging on the way down.

We used 60 miles of range going up the mountain (17 miles), showing 222 miles of range at the ranger station, to 162 miles of range remaining at the peak. The trip down of course, regenerative charging almost the whole way, consumed another 20 miles of range, showing 142 miles of range left.

We thought it odd that it used that much if anything as it was charging nearly the entire way down, 17 miles. However, we now had an 18 mile drive home... like I said, at the ranger station we were at 142 miles of range... the indicated range never budged from 142 miles of range. We pulled into the garage and turned the car off and let it sit for a minute and turned it back on... 142 miles of range. So we finished our trip with an 18 mile drive without using a mile of indicated range. My wife is going to track how far she drives over the next couple days before this changes.

Also, there were quite a few cars climbing the mountain today... we did not see any electric cars other than ours.

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
Very cool.

Lifting the I-Pace with a driver and a passenger uses about 17kWh of potential energy for 9000 ft, or 20% of a 84kWh battery. The distance traveled is independent of that. Your numbers look pretty close to that.

P.s.: Is your car garaged and was the battery at a reasonably warm temperature?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great drive. Thanks for sharing. Did you notice if the percent charge increased after the descent?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife believes she remembers that it was 63% (low 60s) at the peak and 79% at the ranger station. So roughly a 15% increase during the descent....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great drive. Thanks for sharing. Did you notice if the percent charge increased after the descent?
My wife believes she remembers that it was 63% (low 60s) at the peak and 79% at the ranger station. So roughly a 15% increase during the descent....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very cool.

Lifting the I-Pace with a driver and a passenger uses about 17kWh of potential energy for 9000 ft, or 20% of a 84kWh battery. The distance traveled is independent of that. Your numbers look pretty close to that.

P.s.: Is your car garaged and was the battery at a reasonably warm temperature?
Our i-Pace is stored in a heated garage. Heated means the temperature never drops below 50 degrees regardless of the outside weather. The outside weather was low 50s at 5200 ft. elevation, and 8 degrees at the top of Pikes Peak (14,111 ft. elevation).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
"heated" :)

I have my server in the garage. It's "heated" too. :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Similar to last winter in Colorado Springs I'm seeing an average range of 170 miles (273 Km). Unlike last year, the GoM accuracy is much better. It has adjusted down as the temperature has dropped. It's still optimistic at 100% SoC (215 miles or 346 Km) but by 50%-60% it's very accurate and falls within a couple of miles of reality. Nice improvement for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We took our i-Pace to the top of Pikes Peak today. For those who are not familiar with this drive, we live 18 miles from the ranger station that is the beginning of Pikes Peak Highway. Our home is at about 5200 ft. elevation. Pikes Peak is 14,111 ft. elevation. So basically a 9000 ft. climb. We had no idea what kind of hit this would be as far as range going up or what we would regen on the trip down. Well it was interesting... largely how the i-Pace reports all that gain from regenerative charging on the way down.

We used 60 miles of range going up the mountain (17 miles), showing 222 miles of range at the ranger station, to 162 miles of range remaining at the peak. The trip down of course, regenerative charging almost the whole way, consumed another 20 miles of range, showing 142 miles of range left.

We thought it odd that it used that much if anything as it was charging nearly the entire way down, 17 miles. However, we now had an 18 mile drive home... like I said, at the ranger station we were at 142 miles of range... the indicated range never budged from 142 miles of range. We pulled into the garage and turned the car off and let it sit for a minute and turned it back on... 142 miles of range. So we finished our trip with an 18 mile drive without using a mile of indicated range. My wife is going to track how far she drives over the next couple days before this changes. View attachment 5063
Also, there were quite a few cars climbing the mountain today... we did not see any electric cars other than ours.
View attachment 5064
Good to know since I am in Colorado too. 😀

1 - 9 of 9 Posts