Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Try to decide to wait for Tesla Y or get an I-pace. Test drive a HSE, love it. Right now, can get 2019's with big discount and $7,500 tax credit. Main concerns are: 1) drive rang/charge options when travelling. 2) Is it reliable? 3) Service (not sure if my local Jaguar dealer knows EV well). Thanks in advance for any comments and/or advise.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Drive a Tesla Model 3, and also sit in the backseat. The TMY will be the same but taller, with a hatchback, a touch slower, and a bit less stable. Ergonomically the I-Pace is a different league than anything Tesla sells today. The steering feel and suspension quality has not been matched by Tesla either. And obviously the interior and exterior is nicer. The I-Pace was also engineered for off-road use as well, not true for any Tesla yet designed.

Last summer I drove an I-Pace from Southern California to Salt Lake City and back. Remote charging was not a significant issue for me. And to get real, I'd normally fly anyways. Today's I-Pace has a longer range flash in it. Expect 10-20% more range. Driven 'like a Jaguar', I get about 200 miles on the old flash. Driven like a Prius, I'd get over 250 miles on the old flash.

As far as reliability, mine is perhaps not a representative sample. It never left me stranded in over 16,000 miles, but it has a drivetrain fault that AFAIK, they do not know how to fix. They are buying the car back. Keep in mind, Tesla has bought back more than a few Teslas as well. This year will be Year One for the Model Y, and Tesla is like other automakers in this aspect - Year One cars are often more trouble. The Roadster, Model S, Model X (wow), and Model 3, all had serious teething pains. The Y might not, but the house money is on it being similar to their other first year cars.

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts
Welcome to the forum! In my opinion, none of the Teslas are true driver's cars. They're minimalist appliances that accelerate quickly, and that's about it. I agree with McRat on teething problems, though with Tesla's experience at this point I suspect that any early model issues will be things like fit and finish and not so much drive train issues.

If you enjoy driving go for the I-Pace. That said (as I've pointed out in another thread that I can't find right now), if you're considering a 2019 you should insist that the dealer show you a printout of the battery state of health (SoH) and state of charge (SoC) in kWh when fully charged. SoH should be at least 95% and you should have a usable battery capacity of 84kWh.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Why do Tesla drivers drive slowly in the left lane? Because their cars are no fun to drive.

Reactions: rcomeau

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
465 Posts
Welcome to the forum! In my opinion, none of the Teslas are true driver's cars. They're minimalist appliances that accelerate quickly, and that's about it. I agree with McRat on teething problems, though with Tesla's experience at this point I suspect that any early model issues will be things like fit and finish and not so much drive train issues.

If you enjoy driving go for the I-Pace. That said (as I've pointed out in another thread that I can't find right now), if you're considering a 2019 you should insist that the dealer show you a printout of the battery state of health (SoH) and state of charge (SoC) in kWh when fully charged. SoH should be at least 95% and you should have a usable battery capacity of 84kWh.
Totally agree with these statements. With almost 10k under my belt with the I-Pace, I can say it REALLY is fun to drive. Either on two lane local roads or on the highway at speed, it handles very smoothly. L3 charging is not a problem around the Interstate system due to the networked stations. Going cross country on the back roads still requires plenty of advanced planning. Lastly, the local JLR dealers seem to be very variable. Mine has been v good for the limited issues I have had. Others on the forum report some bad experiences. Depending on your location, you may have more than one to chose from.

I have not spend any time looking at the MY, but would expect it to be very similar to the M3 but different body work. I personally did not like the design/styling (inside or out) or the finish of the M3.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My take and as my dealer pointed out.... Tesla is a tech company and Jaguar is a car company.

When driving my I-Pace, I am on cloud 9 for the whole time... It is a true Jaguar (I have had many) but with more power than I will ever need and almost silent, along the way.

A few days ago, I was a passenger in a friend's new Tesla Model X. I asked if they had considered the Jag and their response was, as usual, I didn't know that Jag made an electric car!

The ride in the X was very firm, even with it's stock factory wheels. My I-Pace ride is far smoother and I have the 22" wheels! Also, the cabin of the X was noticeably louder than the I-Pace. Somehow, the whole interior was lacking luxury.

The Jag is a work of art, compared to the Teslas which, in my opinion, are now quite dated, although they were never pretty in the first place.

Finally, around where I live, Teslas are 10 a penny and I don't like to drive what everyone else drives.

My 02¢

·
Registered
268 Posts
Taking it up a level, my take is that if you want a traditional car experience with a great electric drivetrain you will be happier with the iPace.

OTOH the Model Y, like all Tesla’s, has the electronics as its design center. Tesla leverages the two-way-always-connected computer on wheels to provide an ownership and driving experience that is different from traditional cars. Free new features and performance boosts through OTA updates, geofenced Homelink, seamless navigation and Supercharging, HD quality Netflix, YouTube and other streaming, Sentry Mode, Dog Mode, Camping Mode, sending FSD training data for the neural net, etc. At some point during your Model Y ownership you should enjoy driver supervised FSD, and maybe even fully autonomous capability.

As for handling, I would only purchase the Performance trim with its bigger brakes and Track Mode. I know others here don’t agree with me but I have always been a performance car driver and I have been very satisfied with the handling of my P85+, early P85D which still had the P85+ stiffer suspension and Model 3P. I wouldn’t own the other variants.

I believe the difference in design philosophy is what makes Tesla’s so polarizing. Tesla eschews traditional interior luxury for an ultra-clean look. IPace owners don’t like it. But Tesla owners don’t like what they consider to be cluttered interiors with multiple buttons and screens. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
550 Posts
First off, no Tesla-bashing here. Without Tesla, the EV industry would only be a fraction as far along as it is now. I test drove a Model S in 2013 and was hooked on the EV concept, but wanted an SUV. The MX took too long to arrive, was way overpriced, and I just couldn't do the falcon wing doors (ostentatious, initially buggy, and when it rains, well... ask someone who owns one). The above posts pretty accurately sum things up: Jag is a performance luxury brand, Tesla is a tech luxury brand. The fact that Teslas are fast brings accolades of 'performance' from many, but not true driving enthusiasts. Jag fell short on the tech, but for car enthusiasts, that was tolerable. Interior and exterior design also bifurcate public opinion: Jag is gorgeous outside, and more traditional, more luxurious inside. Tesla is more minimalist, futuristic, and tech-user oriented (better software, everything on one screen, no buttons). Bottom line, they are really 2 VERY different vehicles, although with recent price degradation, the Model X (ostensibly due to competition finally emerging in the form of the I-Pace, e-Tron, and (delayed now a year) EQC) is now close in price to the upper end of its fully loaded competitors. Like rogerdodger above, I also appreciate the more rare presence of the I-Pace, which I firmly believe can be blamed on Jaguar's inability to market, and at the dealer level, SELL, the incredible but divergent product that went on to win 50-60 worldwide awards. If I had to choose between the Model Y and I-Pace, assuming they ended up reasonably close in price, range, and handling, I'd still take the I-Pace ONLY because the Model Y looks SOOO much like the other Teslas S, X, 3. At some point, Tesla has to break from that design/form factor. Good luck with your choice, you really can "lose" either way.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drive a Tesla Model 3, and also sit in the backseat. The TMY will be the same but taller, with a hatchback, a touch slower, and a bit less stable. Ergonomically the I-Pace is a different league than anything Tesla sells today. The steering feel and suspension quality has not been matched by Tesla either. And obviously the interior and exterior is nicer. The I-Pace was also engineered for off-road use as well, not true for any Tesla yet designed.

Last summer I drove an I-Pace from Southern California to Salt Lake City and back. Remote charging was not a significant issue for me. And to get real, I'd normally fly anyways. Today's I-Pace has a longer range flash in it. Expect 10-20% more range. Driven 'like a Jaguar', I get about 200 miles on the old flash. Driven like a Prius, I'd get over 250 miles on the old flash.

As far as reliability, mine is perhaps not a representative sample. It never left me stranded in over 16,000 miles, but it has a drivetrain fault that AFAIK, they do not know how to fix. They are buying the car back. Keep in mind, Tesla has bought back more than a few Teslas as well. This year will be Year One for the Model Y, and Tesla is like other automakers in this aspect - Year One cars are often more trouble. The Roadster, Model S, Model X (wow), and Model 3, all had serious teething pains. The Y might not, but the house money is on it being similar to their other first year cars.
Thank you for your reply. I love the finish/style and driving of the car, so I may take a chance. With this said, can you kindly let me know:

1) When the car is in the shop, did you get a similar loaner to drive?
2) In the worse case of the car cannot be fixed and buying back, how much will you get back? What about tax credit?

My thinking is if all are covered, the risk maybe worth to take. Also, .based on what you knew, can you say some earlier problems got fixed now?

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts
1) When the car is in the shop, did you get a similar loaner to drive?
Totally depends on your dealer and availability of loaners. I drove an RR Velar loaner for three months, but I only got that because I was willing to wait for availability and I had a good relationship with the service writer. Others have had a dodge minivan rental car.

2) In the worse case of the car cannot be fixed and buying back, how much will you get back? What about tax credit?
Depends on the state. Which state are you in?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
South Carolina.

I almost bought a 2019 certified FE at $63,900 from a dealer. It has 4500 miles on it. Was told it is a loaner and still qualify for $7,500 but then was told someone just got it before me. Is certified a good option to consider as it is covered for 7 eras/100,000 miles instead of 5 years/60,000 miles?

My concern is tech is a very import part of EV and local Jaguar dealer may not know how to fix it when there is a problem. Tesla is better on that but the closest dealer is 100 miles away. On the other hand, one can get great deals on I-pace because of that. If all are covered, maybe worth to take a chance if the price is right. Another factor to consider Tesla Y is it is much more efficient so take much less time to charge, cost less, and battery may last longer.

Thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
South Carolina.

I almost bought a 2019 certified FE at $63,900 from a dealer. It has 4500 miles on it. Was told it is a loaner and still qualify for $7,500 but then was told someone just got it before me. Is certified a good option to consider as it is covered for 7 eras/100,000 miles instead of 5 years/60,000 miles?

My concern is tech is a very import part of EV and local Jaguar dealer may not know how to fix it when there is a problem. Tesla is better on that but the closest dealer is 100 miles away. On the other hand, one can get great deals on I-pace because of that. If all are covered, maybe worth to take a chance if the price is right. Another factor to consider Tesla Y is it is much more efficient so take much less time to charge, cost less, and battery may last longer.

Thanks again
Where are you in SC? I am too but over 2 hours from the nearest dealer in Charleston so have always required a loaner and have always been given a JLR product but have had to book a few weeks ahead. All my issues have been corrected so far, H264 was handled fine although they had the car for 4 days but really no complaints.
For what it's worth I fully intended to buy a Model X but once I drove an I-Pace it was a no-brainer :) although I think if I intended to use the car for longer trips and cross country I would probably have chosen the Tesla just because of the better range and charging network.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I would advise seeing the Model Y in person before making any judgment.
It's truly an ugly car were the 3, S, even the X are beautiful
If you want a Model 3, that's more expensive , with a hatchback, not as good looking, then the Y is your car

Reactions: McRat

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would advise seeing the Model Y in person before making any judgment.
It's truly an ugly car were the 3, S, even the X are beautiful
If you want a Model 3, that's more expensive , with a hatchback, not as good looking, then the Y is your car
Yes, definitely see it in person. I have viewed it extensively two different times and don’t agree with the above opinion.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I am biased in that i think the S/3 are ok, the X shocks me at how bad a design it is every time I see it (and I see it a lot). This isn't as bad as the X, but it looks very dated and kind of "simple" at this point.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yes, definitely see it in person. I have viewed it extensively two different times and don’t agree with the above opinion. View attachment 3645
It's clear that everything Tesla does is perfect in your eyes and your only mission is to let everyone know about it.

I was driving when saw a strange looking Model 3 so I stopped to examine it.
It's a Model 3 hatchback, with bigger tires and raised an inch higher.
Pay close attention to the third row seats
20200208_143608.jpg

·
Registered
268 Posts
It's clear that everything Tesla does is perfect in your eyes and your only mission is to let everyone know about it.

I was driving when saw a strange looking Model 3 so I stopped to examine it.
It's a Model 3 hatchback, with bigger tires and raised an inch higher.
The OP was asking for opinions about buying an iPace vs. a Model Y. You shared your negative view of MY, I shared my positive one. Wasn’t that the purpose of this thread?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts