Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Show off!!!

JK, and good for you.

I hadn't thought of this before now, but if you get home with an EV that needs a charge, another fully charged EV is as good an instant backup if needed as an ICE for most purposes. Although I expect you have three because of three household drivers. Er, two, I mean.

·
Registered
36 Posts
First was a 2014 LEAF which we replaced with a Tesla Model X. This year we replaced the ICE with an I-PACE. Now a 100% EV household.

Awesome. 2 i3's for me (now sold) and now our ELR so EV #3 too.

Wonder what you've noticed with your power bill versus what your gas bill used to be? I haven't got my 220 charger yet, so at 120v 12 hrs charge I can't do all my charging at lowest time of use (10pm to 6am). Still, plugging in around 8pm, I think we see about $20 at lowest and about $30 at highest additional to what our power bill used to be, and I dunno at least 4 times (maybe a lot more) than that for gas I used to have to buy. Of course everyone has different rates of course, but clearly way cheaper to buy power at home than support OPEC.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hadn't thought of this before now, but if you get home with an EV that needs a charge, another fully charged EV is as good an instant backup if needed as an ICE for most purposes. Although I expect you have three because of three household drivers. Er, two, I mean.
Exactly. We've used them in that way before. We keep them both somewhere above 50% charge and don't stress about plugging them in all the time. If there's a bunch of unexpected driving around town one day, it's just a matter of swapping them out in the middle of the day. Hardly ever happens though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome. 2 i3's for me (now sold) and now our ELR so EV #3 too.

Wonder what you've noticed with your power bill versus what your gas bill used to be? I haven't got my 220 charger yet, so at 120v 12 hrs charge I can't do all my charging at lowest time of use (10pm to 6am). Still, plugging in around 8pm, I think we see about $20 at lowest and about $30 at highest additional to what our power bill used to be, and I dunno at least 4 times (maybe a lot more) than that for gas I used to have to buy. Of course everyone has different rates of course, but clearly way cheaper to buy power at home than support OPEC.
It's been so many years that I've forgotten what our gas used to cost. We pay a little extra with our utility company to fund renewable energy, so it's something like 8.25 cents per kWh. I charge at work where my employer covers the electricity, so that pays for my commute miles.

It's wonderful never having to stop at a gas station any more. Makes me annoyed that they're allowed to blast the price of dino juice in huge lettering all over the side of the road. I imagine it's how a vegetarian might feel if every single burger joint you pass by were to post the price of their hamburgers, cheeseburgers, and double cheeseburgers in huge glowing lettering all over the place.

·
Super Moderator
1,767 Posts
Great batch of cars: Leaf, X, i-Pace. Great diversity. I had an A3 etron PHEV which, due to its limited 21 mile range, made me intensely aware of the parameters that drive efficiency.

How is the Model Eggs for you? [ >:) ]

·
Registered
392 Posts
I started with a Honda Civic with mild hybrid and averaged 43MPG. Then bought a Ford Fusion PHEV that had a 5.5 kW battery good for 25-30 miles in summer but only 15-17 in winter. Still got 62MPG in the three years we owned it. I once went 6 months without putting gas into it and could get over 75 MPG in warm weather.

I'm a little worried about the I-Pace in the winter and I'm hoping that the battery thermal management system helps along with preconditioning.

Anyone out there with experience driving the I-Pace during winter weather? I'm sure I will love not having to gas the car in the cold and snow.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
I started with a Honda Civic with mild hybrid and averaged 43MPG. Then bought a Ford Fusion PHEV that had a 5.5 kW battery good for 25-30 miles in summer but only 15-17 in winter. Still got 62MPG in the three years we owned it. I once went 6 months without putting gas into it and could get over 75 MPG in warm weather.

I'm a little worried about the I-Pace in the winter and I'm hoping that the battery thermal management system helps along with preconditioning.

Anyone out there with experience driving the I-Pace during winter weather? I'm sure I will love not having to gas the car in the cold and snow.
I live in NW Minnesota and have had the car since early November. There have been several threads in regards to cold weather driving. Of course everyone is a bit different, but as the temps drop, so will your maximum range. For me, once the temps went below zero I couldn’t expect more than 125 miles of in town driving.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We have run 2013/2016/2017/2019 Chevrolet Volts. Fleet average >250+ mpg. The meter bottoms. True MPG is about 380 miles per gallon fleet average.
Volts used for commuting/shopping seldom use gas, since the gas motor is tiny compared to the electric motor.

First drive of an EV was early 2012? in a CODA at an AutoX course. It was fun, but had the wrong tires, which I melted.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I seriously considered and test drove a Volt and really liked it but couldn't find a comfortable driving position. The Fusion PHEV came with 11 way adjustable seats and lumbar support plus a host of other things like adaptive cruise control for $6,000 more.

I also was interested in the Bolt but the I-Pace stole my heart.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I seriously considered and test drove a Volt and really liked it but couldn't find a comfortable driving position. The Fusion PHEV came with 11 way adjustable seats and lumbar support plus a host of other things like adaptive cruise control for $6,000 more.

I also was interested in the Bolt but the I-Pace stole my heart.
I would have bought a Bolt if they had an option for comfortable, electric adjustable seats. Seams like a fun little car otherwise with good tech. The cheap, manual seats became a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I would have bought a Bolt if they had an option for comfortable, electric adjustable seats. Seams like a fun little car otherwise with good tech. The cheap, manual seats became a deal breaker for me.
I had the Bolt before the I Pace and I was ok with the seats. It is actually a very nice car for its price, really enjoyed driving it, range was great. The only reason I jumped to I Pace was primarily the AWD, I wanted to have a BEV that I could drive through bad weather. Otherwise honestly I would have kept the Bolt.

Dont misunderstand, no comparison on the ride, handling, luxury etc between the two cars. But pricing pretty much reflects that and I like driving the Bolt.

The i3 on the other hand...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
My list of EVs have been Tesla Roadster, Nissan Leaf, BMW i3, i8 coupe, Chevy Bolt, i8 Roadster and now Jaguar I-Pace. I have been hooked all along and am really down to ICE either for longer trips (due to infrastructure) or if there is something very unique (but that is becoming so rare now).

Definitely will be looking at the Audi GT (after skipping the SUV, meh). I will shortly be down to only one pure ICE car, and I can see that one going away at some point.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts