Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,303 Posts
Guess what today car again is dead in my garage and they can’t figure out how to get it out of garage. All wheals locked and car is dead.
This is a little off topic from the thread. Sounds like a 12V starter battery failure without further details.

Who are "they"?

Plenty of threads here about manual release of bonnet and jump power to the 12V starter battery to get the car to power up. One can then start the car (assuming traction battery has a charge), release the parking brake, drive it, replace the 12V battery, or take other appropriate action to move the car. There's a manual release in front (under center trim panel behind storage box) to release the parking pawl if necessary, too.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
724 Posts
I leased mine just in case it was a lemon. Luckily no major issues that left me stranded. What worries me about these stories is the dealers that can't identify what went wrong.
What concerns me even more are the posters that won't name and shame the purported dealers. These stories are meaningless w/o incident details and documentation as to who said/did what.
My suspicion is that most of these cases are exaggerated and would not qualify under lemon laws - hence no satifaction, leading to constant griping.
To the few with real problems, I apologize in advance for a lack of empathy. To address the o.p.: "death trap"? Has anyone died? Until such point, at worst we have a "potential death trap". Learn to use the English language correctly please.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is a little off topic from the thread. Sounds like a 12V starter battery failure without further details.

Who are "they"?

Plenty of threads here about manual release of bonnet and jump power to the 12V starter battery to get the car to power up. One can then start the car (assuming traction battery has a charge), release the parking brake, drive it, replace the 12V battery, or take other appropriate action to move the car. There's a manual release in front (under center trim panel behind storage box) to release the parking pawl if necessary, too.
They = “Jaguar tow company “

it’s not 12 volt, it’s 14v battery and was replaced 2 months ago. It’s says 14v on dealer repair paper repair work

·
Registered
195 Posts
Most modern 12v lead acid batteries usually have a fully charged voltage of greater than 13v. I expect a tech referred to 14v because he was just looking at a voltmeter that said almost 14v across a new battery's terminals. 12v is the nominal voltage that the control system was designed to work at. Chargers usually charge to about 13.8v.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,303 Posts
Well, I'll use the Jaguar terminology if you prefer. The low voltage starter battery may have failed. There is also a low voltage auxiliary battery. We'd need the part number to know which was replaced.

If it was the low voltage starter battery and it has gone to an insufficient charge state, then the dealer will need to investigate the DC-DC converter and power distribution module to ensure the battery is being charged when it should be.

Jaguar authorized towing services should know how to deal with these or be able to contact Jaguar to get instructions.

Maybe I should get a "900" number to help them out. ;):)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Most modern 12v lead acid batteries usually have a fully charged voltage of greater than 13v. I expect a tech referred to 14v because he was just looking at a voltmeter that said almost 14v across a new battery's terminals. 12v is the nominal voltage that the control system was designed to work at. Chargers usually charge to about 13.8v.
thank you. As much as I love the ipace it’s an amazing driving machine, gorgeous in every way but it is the most unreliable $100k car I ever bought. I ordered my Tesla model Y and will get rid of the Ipace. I Be sad to see it go.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Anyone buying a fist year production run car, especially an EV should expect to lemon it out and prepare for it.
This is such a key point. If you think that the Lucid or Rivian or Polestar will be so perfect ... uh, maybe, but beware the risk of buying a car from a company that is a rookie with cars in general and EVs in particular. And ... who's going to fix it if something goes awry? Are the service centers prepared to deal with teething issues?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Who here hasn’t had an ICE engine die “at full highway speed” or blocked traffic because you simply ran out of gas?

These sorts of problems are not isolated to one type of car, much less one particular model.

·
Registered
398 Posts
They = “Jaguar tow company “

it’s not 12 volt, it’s 14v battery and was replaced 2 months ago. It’s says 14v on dealer repair paper repair work
12v battery is a colloquial term that most people wail recognize as the 12'ish volt battery that is the starter battery for an ICE car and the "not the traction battery" battery for an EV. If you Google 12v car battery you will see many batteries as expected, but Google 14v car battery, you get a lot of different results.

·
Registered
75 Posts
220, 221, whatever it takes.

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
324 Posts
To be fair if the thread originator said Jaguar gave an awful ownership experience due to their poor dealers and slapdash service I would agree. It's been my worst car ownership experience in 20 odd years too.

However nothing in the description implies the car is a death trap. Suffering a breakdown whilst driving is unfortunate but it has happened to me in ICE cars. If the car had spontaneously burst into flames, experienced a total brake failure at 120 MPH or perhaps slammed on the brakes at high speed unnecessarily it might conceivably be a death trap. Bad service does not mean the car is unsafe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
12v battery is a colloquial term that most people wail recognize as the 12'ish volt battery that is the starter battery for an ICE car and the "not the traction battery" battery for an EV. If you Google 12v car battery you will see many batteries as expected, but Google 14v car battery, you get a lot of different results.

Well was battery again.
Gas Font Technology Fixture Machine

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have owned a 2019 ipace for a little over two years. By my estimates, the car has spent approximately 2 months (not consecutively) undergoing service. The most severe episodes required the car to be towed to the dealership on three separate occasion. The worst example occurred while driving at full highway speed and the electrical system failed completely. The cause was some auxiliary small battery that died. Two additional times, the car would not drive after shifting in to gear requiring it to be towed (from the middle of traffic on one occasion). The latest example required me to have the car towed where it is with the dealership going on two weeks now, with the no end in site. They have finally decided the problem lies with an energy module but there is no availability for parts. To make matters worse, they force me to pay for my own loaner vehicle while I continue to pay $2000 a month for not driving the car! Jaguar corporate ignores the complaint. The dealership initially lied and said they would help me then never followed up and ignore all emails.

Needless to say this has been the single worst car buying experience in 30 years I’m driving.

Buyer beware.
Not sure bad dealer experience is a death trap. First generation, ground up vehicles can and will have issue's as will the service centers as they take the NEW journey with you. Incidentally, the MY20 I have has been flawless. I would add that my local JLR dealer does not even have a charger in sight so i expect them to be complete dolts on EV"s when needed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have owned a 2019 ipace for a little over two years. By my estimates, the car has spent approximately 2 months (not consecutively) undergoing service. The most severe episodes required the car to be towed to the dealership on three separate occasion. The worst example occurred while driving at full highway speed and the electrical system failed completely. The cause was some auxiliary small battery that died. Two additional times, the car would not drive after shifting in to gear requiring it to be towed (from the middle of traffic on one occasion). The latest example required me to have the car towed where it is with the dealership going on two weeks now, with the no end in site. They have finally decided the problem lies with an energy module but there is no availability for parts. To make matters worse, they force me to pay for my own loaner vehicle while I continue to pay $2000 a month for not driving the car! Jaguar corporate ignores the complaint. The dealership initially lied and said they would help me then never followed up and ignore all emails.

Needless to say this has been the single worst car buying experience in 30 years I’m driving.

Buyer beware.
My car has been in and out of the shop for nearly a month twice, for an AC issue. However, it is a pristine drive and has never had any drive-related issues. Mines is a 2019 as well. Anything that has happened has always been taken care of by the dealer at no cost to me, nor have I ever had to pay for the rental. I am very sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with such an exceptional vehicle. I know paying that note especially one as high as yours has been pouring salt into the wound.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's about the public perception of the car. It isn't a death trap just because your example has had a problem. Show some maturity and describe your experience so others can understand and drop the over-the-top histrionics.
A near death experience is not an example of over-the-top-histrionics. I had one in my IPace!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Buyer beware.
The title IS pure click-bait...and I object to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hyperbolic titles like yours on threads are uncalled-for. Sorry you have had a likely rare, poor experience with your car but I deeply resent your calling the car I very much like and enjoy greatly a "death trap."
so unless you have had the car literally stop working while driving, you don’t have an objective spot to judge. I have had mine fail on me twice while driving and was lucky to be in a spot where I could stop safely.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Buyer beware.
I am almost in the same boat. I have had my 2019 I-Pace 12v battery fail on me twice while driving. I required a two both times to get it to the dealer. Jag road side assistance is poor when it comes to electric vehicles and how to tow them. I have been lucky that my dealer has provided a loaner at no cost, but I have been without the car for over two months. They currently don’t have parts and just got the diagnostic tool to check. I have opened a buy back case with Jaguar USA proper, not trusting the dealer. About to open an NHSTA case on the car also.

having the car completely fail while driving is not safe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Although I also disagree with the death trap title, I commiserate with the poster about this problem. My own 2019 I-Pace has been at the dealer since June 15th, with no end in sight. They have only one EV technician who is frequently not there, and the service manager told me that they are not allowed to replace any parts without permission from Jaguar main technical. So, on my car, they replaced the main harness which didn't fix it, then decided it had a bad cell. This is on backorder with no eta. In my case, I do have a nice 2020 loaner (at no cost). I don't think you should have to pay for that.
So, I've begun the process of Lemon Law refund. I've spoken with the AG office in my State (Washington) and it seems pretty straight forward. I'm told that the manufacturer doesn't usually send an attorney unless I do, so I'm not. I strongly suggest you look into this if it's available in your area. I think, at least where I live, I believe people are generally successful, but it takes about 3 months to get to a hearing. I also have started a claim with Jaguar. Their customer service rep at corporate was very helpful, but I don't know how likely a resolution will be. I really like the I-Pace, but I'm just going to have to move on. I wish you good luck.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've had mine for 2.5 years, 35,000 miles. Only had it in the shop once for one day to have the 21,000 mile service. And, one other day for new tires. It's been literally the best car I've ever had. Still gets 240 mile range in 70 degree weather.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts