Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned a 2019 ipace for a little over two years. By my estimates, the car has spent approximately 2 months (not consecutively) undergoing service. The most severe episodes required the car to be towed to the dealership on three separate occasion. The worst example occurred while driving at full highway speed and the electrical system failed completely. The cause was some auxiliary small battery that died. Two additional times, the car would not drive after shifting in to gear requiring it to be towed (from the middle of traffic on one occasion). The latest example required me to have the car towed where it is with the dealership going on two weeks now, with the no end in site. They have finally decided the problem lies with an energy module but there is no availability for parts. To make matters worse, they force me to pay for my own loaner vehicle while I continue to pay $2000 a month for not driving the car! Jaguar corporate ignores the complaint. The dealership initially lied and said they would help me then never followed up and ignore all emails.

Needless to say this has been the single worst car buying experience in 30 years I’m driving.

Buyer beware.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hyperbolic titles like yours on threads are uncalled-for. Sorry you have had a likely rare, poor experience with your car but I deeply resent your calling the car I very much like and enjoy greatly a "death trap."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then post a hyperbolic title in the opposite direction. And grow up - this isn’t about your feelings!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A car that dies while driving at highway speeds only to continue dying after reportedly being fixed is an unsafe vehicle in my opinion. This has never happened in my entire experience as a car owner. A death trap refers to that sentiment. Jaguar has lots of marketing dollars to promote selling this vehicle. I hope that I help someone avoid making a frustrating and potentially dangerous decision buying one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Clearly your experience with the car and JLR is unacceptable. Could you give us some more details?

What milage for each failure.​
Software versions and dates for updates.​
Whether your car had the wiring harness repair.​

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car was delivered with essentially zero mileage. Within 2 days of purchase it had to be returned to the dealership for 2-3 weeks of repair. The subsequent failure while driving at highway speed occurred just over a year in to ownership at with approximately 12,000 KM on it. Interesting that you ask about updates. The OTA update do not work. When I asked my service advisor for the updates while my car was undergoing service following the latest failure to drive (at 32,000 KM), I was told they generally don’t like to update software to avoid causing new issues. He may have been referring to the infotainment software, so I cannot be sure.
I wish I could tell you more about the current app version but it has been at the dealership for over two weeks and I don’t have access to it. I can update you further if and when the car is returned. I desperately hope it will not.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Then post a hyperbolic title in the opposite direction. And grow up - this isn’t about your feelings!
It's about the public perception of the car. It isn't a death trap just because your example has had a problem. Show some maturity and describe your experience so others can understand and drop the over-the-top histrionics.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The car was delivered with essentially zero mileage. Within 2 days of purchase it had to be returned to the dealership for 2-3 weeks of repair. The subsequent failure while driving at highway speed occurred just over a year in to ownership at with approximately 12,000 KM on it. Interesting that you ask about updates. The OTA update do not work. When I asked my service advisor for the updates while my car was undergoing service following the latest failure to drive (at 32,000 KM), I was told they generally don’t like to update software to avoid causing new issues. He may have been referring to the infotainment software, so I cannot be sure.
I wish I could tell you more about the current app version but it has been at the dealership for over two weeks and I don’t have access to it. I can update you further if and when the car is returned. I desperately hope it will not.
Totally understandable if you've given up on the car, but I'll offer the following if you want to help you dealer fix this kitty ...

The infotainment software shouldn't matter and in fact the last version is worse than the 20C that came before.

The 12v battery issues seem to be fixed with the latest battery management software on our older 2019 models.

Replacing the wiring harness is a nontrivial undertaking and there may be a question as to whether your dealer's service department is up to the task. Having said that, if the BCM is bad, you'll need to wait for that to be replaced that puts you at the mercy of the chip shortage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for such a thoughtful reply. This has been a very frustrating ordeal. Obviously there are much bigger problems in life than I am describing and I am not oblivious to what is going on in the world. That said, it is frustrating to pay for a car that I can’t even drive. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
2019 I-PACE
25 Posts
Sorry to hear of your experience. I do share some of that sediment as well, but not even close to the the magnitude of your comments. I also found myself questioning my purchase in the early days of my 2019. However, most have been fixed/improved with subsequent updates (some I have to bring to the dealer who were happy to perform the update), and others via OTA. But it seems like that the dealer experience is souring the experience ALOT! That has been stated on multiple times on this forum.

I'll defer on commenting on the car issues that that could be very technical with lots of constraint use cases.

Can you share country, city, region, dealer so that it might help other folks to avoid the specific party?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,303 Posts
Since you've mentioned cost in $ and distance in km, I'm going to assume you're somewhere in Canada. Check your Canadian warranty papers and other documents that came with the car concerning providing loaner vehicle while your car is being repaired. Don't just go by what is spoken on the phone. The written policy is what matters.

Can you share what repairs were done for previous repairs as stated on invoices?
SOTA is the preferred method for updating the infotainment and TCU software. However, the TCU may need to get a software update in order to receive SOTA (cure a problem with early TCU software versions).

Do you get messages displayed for any of these problems? Did you continue to operate the vehicle or immediately seek attention? I've lost count of the number of times people have ignored "check engine" lights and displayed messages in hopes the problem was temporary and would go away on its own. That's human nature. They need their car to work "just one more time and then I'll get it fixed". A calm "No, I didn't do that." is the expected response.

Other modules do require dealership attention. Jaguar has instituted a policy of not updating software unless there is a known problem being addressed (if it isn't broke, don't fix it).

Diagnostics are largely automated these days, after a physical inspection for obvious problems (broken wires, corrosion, etc.). Dealers are still required to get permission from Jaguar technical support before implementing many fixes (reduce warranty claims/costs for unnecessary repairs).

Hindering the situation is the time zone differences from North America to British time. They really need to get qualified staff in North America to authorize repairs, or staff in the UK to support their company 24/7 (are there issues with labour laws that prevent that?).

The pandemic situation isn't helping any. The semiconductor shortage isn't helping parts availability. Part availability is also impacted by decisions for making/allocating parts for new vs. previously made product.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have owned a 2019 ipace for a little over two years. By my estimates, the car has spent approximately 2 months (not consecutively) undergoing service. The most severe episodes required the car to be towed to the dealership on three separate occasion. The worst example occurred while driving at full highway speed and the electrical system failed completely. The cause was some auxiliary small battery that died. Two additional times, the car would not drive after shifting in to gear requiring it to be towed (from the middle of traffic on one occasion). The latest example required me to have the car towed where it is with the dealership going on two weeks now, with the no end in site. They have finally decided the problem lies with an energy module but there is no availability for parts. To make matters worse, they force me to pay for my own loaner vehicle while I continue to pay $2000 a month for not driving the car! Jaguar corporate ignores the complaint. The dealership initially lied and said they would help me then never followed up and ignore all emails.

Needless to say this has been the single worst car buying experience in 30 years I’m driving.

Buyer beware.
Welcome to the club. I’ve had my ipace EV 400 since Nov 2018. Has had the big battery replaced twice. The vehicle left me stranded many times. The last repair where car left me stranded 150 miles from home took 8 weeks to fix. Dealer had no clue how to fix it. Changed batteries, computers and wire harness. Guess what today car again is dead in my garage and they can’t figure out how to get it out of garage. All wheals locked and car is dead. Can’t wait till my Tesla arrives in December. The ipace is a gorgeous car amazing to drive but the most unreliable car I’ve ever had. I also have two Chevy bolt never had an issue ever with these cars even with the battery recall the cars work perfectly never an issue. And Chevy bolt cost $30k not $100k.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Welcome to the club. I’ve had my ipace EV 400 since Nov 2018. Has had the big battery replaced twice. The vehicle left me stranded many times. The last repair where car left me stranded 150 miles from home took 8 weeks to fix. Dealer had no clue how to fix it. Changed batteries, computers and wire harness. Guess what today car again is dead in my garage and they can’t figure out how to get it out of garage. All wheals locked and car is dead. Can’t wait till my Tesla arrives in December. The ipace is a gorgeous car amazing to drive but the most unreliable car I’ve ever had. I also have two Chevy bolt never had an issue ever with these cars even with the battery recall the cars work perfectly never an issue. And Chevy bolt cost $30k not $100k.
Your states don't have lemon laws?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Texas has lemon laws. Good luck trying to get anything done with lemon laws. No one cares from govt and manufacturing
Anyone buying a fist year production run car, especially an EV should expect to lemon it out and prepare for it.
Before I signed the papers for my I-Pace I told my lemon law attorney that He should expect a call from me.

I would highly advise getting a proper attorney to lemon these cars out.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I leased mine just in case it was a lemon. Luckily no major issues that left me stranded. What worries me about these stories is the dealers that can't identify what went wrong.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts