Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all love the I-Pace interior quality. We also know of the I-Pace infotainment lag and how counterintuitive it can be, but I really enjoy the merging of physical buttons/knobs and touchscreens together.
Contrast this with a Hyundai that has millions of buttons or a Tesla that has none. I see no benefit in the volume control being part of the touchscreen instead of a knob and the same goes for AC controls.

These were all factors for me when choosing the I-Pace over other EVs

·
Registered
97 Posts
I like the layout myself, while the lag bothers some owner, having to wait for 1/4 second is no real issue for me.

The only improvement I would suggest is the fan and seat control knob. It’s a bit clumbersum to pull out the know while your driving. Other then that Jag did a great job.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
The blending of digital screens and physical buttons was one of the biggest factors in me choosing the I-Pace over the Tesla (also the Model 3 does not have built in Satellite radio). Honestly the no satellite radio was maybe the thing that bothered me the most about the Model 3.

I have never found any screen or "button" in the Jaguar to lag at all. It is instantaneous or near. Zero complaints.

In regards to the fan push/pull knob....I have kept EVERY car I have owned since the early 1990's set to AUTO 70F or 72F. There is really never any reason to ever fiddle with fan speed. AUTO HVAC will lower and raise the fan speed as needed, for what you have the temp. set to year round in every weather situation ;)

I would like a separate seat cooling and heating button/dial though. I find the seat climate annoying in the I-Pace, but most days I do not use the seat climate, so not a big deal.

For me, I easily rate the I-Pace interior layout a 9/10!!

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
A good friend and colleague of mine bought a loaded 2018 Macan and it's completely insane how many buttons it has! (Great car otherwise.) They're arranged in the center console on both sides of the shifter. I think there are 15 on each side. I don't even remember what they're all for, but it's stupid how many buttons there are for the same functionality.

And then there's the TSLA Model Frog ... both the Tesla and the Porsche are extreme 'solutions' which I just totally don't understand. The I-Pace hits a supremely sensible and usable middle ground. My loaner Velar was pretty good too in that regard.

Also worth mentioning once again is the angling of both the main touch screen and the climate touch screen. It' so much better than the more vertical designs of almost all other manufacturers!

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
A good friend and colleague of mine bought a loaded 2018 Macan and it's completely insane how many buttons it has! (Great car otherwise.) They're arranged in the center console on both sides of the shifter. I think there are 15 on each side. I don't even remember what they're all for, but it's stupid how many buttons there are for the same functionality.

And then there's the TSLA Model Frog ... both the Tesla and the Porsche are extreme 'solutions' which I just totally don't understand. The I-Pace hits a supremely sensible and usable middle ground. My loaner Velar was pretty good too in that regard.

Also worth mentioning once again is the angling of both the main touch screen and the climate touch screen. It' so much better than the more vertical designs of almost all other manufacturers!
100% to everything you said!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
The thing that I really didn't like on my Model S was that some controls I needed to get to quickly were buried in the UI. A good example is the suspension height control. If I saw a bump or dip coming up and I wanted to raise the suspension, I often couldn't navigate to the right screen in time to do it before it was already too late, and I had to take my eyes off the road too long to do it. I appreciate that the I-Pace has physical buttons for suspension height and other touch-activated buttons that are stationary for quick consistent access to things like the top-row climate controls.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The only improvement I would suggest is the fan and seat control knob. It’s a bit cumbersome to pull out the know while your driving. Other then that Jag did a great job.
I agree, I find pulling the outer ring to select fan adjust mode is awkward when driving.

I would like to suggest a software revision to allow repeated presses on the dial / knob to continue to cycle through all of the modes. i.e. Temp > Seats > Fan > Temp > etc. Press/Press/Twist job done.

Some times I fine tune the fan speed when the hot Aussie sun falls directly onto my legs or arm, Auto Mode doesn't detect the rising temperature of my exposed skin.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
264 Posts
I found the flying buttress look of the center console twin pillars a little strange at first.

But that was brief, and since early on, I find it functional and even a cool look. The rest of it was appealing right away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts