Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today was my first experiment hypermiling.
65-67°F, 1200' altitude variation, light winds, roundtrip, 52 miles freeway, 6 miles surface streets, average 40 mph (includes stopping at customer site, and many stoplights).
I've hypermiled this trip hundreds of times in a Chevrolet Volt. It uses an average of 13 kWh for the trip.

Started at 99% battery, ended at 81% battery, or 15.25 kWh.

Jaguar Remote data for trip:
57.0 miles (map miles = 58.4)
Avg speed 40 mph (high 67mph, low stopped, drove freeway in right lane not impeding traffic)
Regen - 2.0 kWh
Consumption 3.62 mi/kWh.

Based on Battery % = 322 miles.
Based on 84.7 kWh battery size and 3.62 miles per kWh = 306.6 miles.

Why the difference? Battery % is low resolution. Speed has ~2% error.

Could it go >300 miles on a freeway? Yes, at 55 mph.
Can I exceed these numbers on a freeway? Yes. Tires are inflated to exact MFR spec. I used the cruise control for the first 10 miles (no-no). I could have drafted. I could have picked a level roundtrip. It could have been 75°F.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Awesome. Now do us all a favor please and repeat this a few times at different levels of charge as well :D

A single data point should never be trusted ...

·
Registered
521 Posts
As long as the cruise is off with manual control of the throttle... is it really that hard to coast down by feathering the throttle in high regen mode?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as the cruise is off with manual control of the throttle... is it really that hard to coast down by feathering the throttle in high regen mode?
Use Low Regen and Low Power Mode for max range.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome. Now do us all a favor please and repeat this a few times at different levels of charge as well :D

A single data point should never be trusted ...
Absolutely. But I'm waiting for warmer weather and more tire wear to go for the Gold Medal. :D

Any test that doesn't use at least 80% of the power is suspect. But that same trip I've sucked down a 1/3 of a charge when I was having fun.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Seems quite respectable.

Hypermilers are, of course, the scum of the earth.
LOL - Glad someone else said it and not me. :grin2:

McRat has to try everything at least once - drag racing - tractor pulls - you name it. He has the car budget for it.

Actually, hyper-milers don't bother me so long as they're tailgating a semi (I'm a left-laner). Nice way to ruin your paint but it's not my car so I don't care.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL - Glad someone else said it and not me. :grin2:

McRat has to try everything at least once - drag racing - tractor pulls - you name it. He has the car budget for it.

Actually, hyper-milers don't bother me so long as they're tailgating a semi (I'm a left-laner). Nice way to ruin your paint but it's not my car so I don't care.
Somebody will beat these numbers pretty easy. Jaguar went soft on the numbers. When it warms up, folks will routinely be posting 300+ numbers when they are traveling for range.
The magic button is that Low Power mode. Apparently that was not used for the EPA tests. Just that, keeping the speed to 65 max, and not using the cruise control will make a massive difference.

It's no harder than going 58 miles in a 2016+ Volt. In fact, that's exactly how I drove it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Somebody will beat these numbers pretty easy.
Your wife would but I'm not sure this is her thing. If I understand what I've seen so far, she's the real talent behind the wheel. :smile2:

It's no harder than going 58 miles in a 2016+ Volt. In fact, that's exactly how I drove it.
I'll be driving a '14 in a few minutes. I'll be laying on the accelerator. I don't get fussy with math - I just drive 'em for pleasure. Math makes me sleepy - it's just a thing for me. I'm sure some folks really like it.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I autoX'd all 3 of our Volts, and I taught the kids in them. Now the kids will try to catch Pop's Electrokittycat. Size vs HP. Who will win?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Another thing to do is overinflate tires by 4-5 PSI. You will wear your tires out faster, and ride/handling may be not as great but you will improve you efficiency.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another thing to do is overinflate tires by 4-5 PSI. You will wear your tires out faster, and ride/handling may be not as great but you will improve you efficiency.
A few percent will be picked up as the tires wear down to a smooth pattern. New tires have high/low spots which increase rolling resistance, plus block squirm is higher.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I foresee another trip to the drag strip in your future.
In 2000, we could race on Sat, Sun, Wed, Fri every week. There were 3 quarter mile dragstrips in the vicinity. Today? There is 1 strip in range, and it has a very limited schedule.

It's probably back to SCCA Solo II competition and Open Track days for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts