Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
This is tight. I’d drop one of those rubber curbs on the floor.
I have two after backing into my garage wall once... Wife said it felt like earthquake. This introduced unapproved opening in the wall and later I had to board it and drilled all the way through the wall while pre-drilling for biggest screws I could find in Homedepot. Almost went into furniture - if only the drill bit would be a little longer... This is how I introduced another unapproved opening in the wall. So I wisened up and got two of those curbs.
We have these under the Taycan and the I-Pace. NO chances ever taken ;)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hmmm I own both and I do not have my I-Pace fans runs nearly like you say. They run more when charging than the Taycan, but the Taycan does use an 800v architecture and is designed to handle more KW. So it wouldn’t be surprising it would not have as much heat issues. But it definitely is not anything like yours are.

I wonder why?

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hmmm I own both and I do not have my I-Pace fans runs nearly like you say. They run more when charging than the Taycan, but the Taycan does use an 800v architecture and is designed to handle more KW. So it wouldn’t be surprising it would not have as much heat issues. But it definitely is not anything like yours are.

I wonder why?
The loud fans running whilst charging my I-pace does not bother me at all; even my i3s would kick the fans on after a long drive, on a hot day.

What has me super annoyed and not happy is that the fans run so much when driving, at a stop, pulling over to chat with a neighbor walking and in the garage.

I have had several neighbors make a "joke" to the tune of...I thought you said this was an electric Jag, or I think your 4 cylinder engine is overheating by the sound of those fans, or putting their hand up to their ear and saying WHAT, what did you say?! :(

·
Registered
412 Posts
I love my I-Pace. But, I do have to agree about the fans. I once hit Pre-Condition Now while I ran into a store real quick on a hot day. The car parked nose to nose to mine was running, while somebody was sitting in it with the A/C running ... and my electric I-Pace with just the A/C running was far noisier than the Merc running it's motor and A/C.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I love my I-Pace. But, I do have to agree about the fans. I once hit Pre-Condition Now while I ran into a store real quick on a hot day. The car parked nose to nose to mine was running, while somebody was sitting in it with the A/C running ... and my electric I-Pace with just the A/C running was far noisier than the Merc running it's motor and A/C.
YES. My I-Pace with just the A/C running and the fans is much louder than our G63 AMG with the actual V8 engine running with A/C. I'm sure nothing can be done about this, but this really sucks that JLR did this to an EV!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello All,

I have a first generation I-Pace and I have had the fan problem form day #1 besides all the other issues, that have been discussed here. I was also in love with my car but after it being in 15 times and a buyback turned down twice I am with a lemon law attorney and JLR is just dragging it out as my court date is not until Oct. 8!
By the way I am down to 176 miles on a FULL 100% charge!! Not what I signed up for!

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hello All,

I have a first generation I-Pace and I have had the fan problem form day #1 besides all the other issues, that have been discussed here. I was also in love with my car but after it being in 15 times and a buyback turned down twice I am with a lemon law attorney and JLR is just dragging it out as my court date is not until Oct. 8!
By the way I am down to 176 miles on a FULL 100% charge!! Not what I signed up for!
I'm so sorry. I have been thru a few buybacks and one nightmare actual lemon lawsuit (not fun!!!). Please keep us posted and sorry!

·
Registered
47 Posts
YES. My I-Pace with just the A/C running and the fans is much louder than our G63 AMG with the actual V8 engine running with A/C. I'm sure nothing can be done about this, but this really sucks that JLR did this to an EV!!!
I am sure it is just the design of the fan and the shrouds. It has to move enough air across the evaporator coils to let the system cool the car and the battery. My M6 was louder after driving it while it was trying to cool down the engine with the 3 electric engine cooling fans, but at start up it was very quiet. The I-Pace for me is the opposite. It is loudest during precondition and gets quieter as I drive it. I am impressed with the systems ability to cool down my very hot car and I will gladly put up with some fan noise to get that. I am sure in future generations of the car they will redesign the fan blades and shroud to reduce the noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We just added another EV to our stable :) We picked up a new Porsche Taycan Turbo. We drove home from Downtown L.A. to Calabasas, which took about 45 mins and the outside temp is 98-100F.

When we pulled in the garage, the Porsche fans are whisper quiet. OMG...the I-Pace fans are obscene. No one would know the I-Pace is an EV. You can barely hear the Taycan, but you cannot talk over the I-Pace fans when running. What was JLR thinking?

The I-Pace fans seem to run all the time now. Even in the a.m., after not driving for 24+ hours, the fans come on right away, they are on always whilst driving and EVERY time we pull in the garage..running full speed and beyond loud. It feels like not having an EV, especially now comparing it to our new Taycan!
Agree the I-PACE fans are loud, but mine don't run that much. And remember, the Taycan costs 50% to 150% as much (depending on the model), and came out two years later!

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Agree the I-PACE fans are loud, but mine don't run that much. And remember, the Taycan costs 50% to 150% as much (depending on the model), and came out two years later!
Yes, the Taycan costs a lot more.

My i3 and Tesla models are older than the I-Pace and they are not plagued with these awful fans.

I'm happy and you're lucky you don't have to hear the constant fans. Mine run from the second I start in the morning, and I have to hear them at every stop, every park and when pulling in the garage. The only time I do not hear them is whilst driving.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
292 Posts
It really sounds like a temperature sensor is bad and causing them to always run, which probably reduces your range as well. On mine it spins up the fan when I start charging or pre-conditioning, but most of the time they aren’t running (and I drive with the windows down around town, so I would hear them). Hopefully they’ll eventually investigate and find it.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
It really sounds like a temperature sensor is bad and causing them to always run, which probably reduces your range as well. On mine it spins up the fan when I start charging or pre-conditioning, but most of the time they aren’t running (and I drive with the windows down around town, so I would hear them). Hopefully they’ll eventually investigate and find it.
My car was in for Service on 7/30 and 7/31. They said all is fine and normal with the fans. I will call them on Monday and mention the temperature sensor issue. Do you know if this is a known issue, or maybe unique to my I-Pace? The fans are driving me nuts!! I am not kidding, it is louder than my G63 suv!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do not perceive any major fan issue and the temps here have been up to 100 lately. They come on really quickly and exteremely loudly occasionally (and this is somewhat shocking) when I return from a trip using the AC and plug the car in or when I unplug and depart but this is for less than a minute- I have not timed it but is probably more like 10-20 seconds and then they rev down and soon stop. I park in a concrete block garage so sound is definitely amplified! There is definitely not a continuous or extended running of fans.
Once in a while the fans come on when I unlock the car to leave and unplug it, perhaps related to warm weather but run at a much slower/quieter speed which seemed pretty reasonable to me.....I haven't paid much attention knowing that others have mentioned the fans running as normal. I do frequent 50 mile highway trips at 80 mph and don't see any correlation to the fans running more when I get home.
I also frequently drive with the windows down if my local trips will be below 40mph and drive out of my long alley lined with garages both sides so sounds reverberate yet do not hear any fans. Maybe my car operates differently from others and the fans aren't running enough and my batteries are actually slowly braising in the heat! I'd be curious to know what experience with fans is most common. Obnoxious and extended or occasional and seemingly reasonable?

·
Registered
678 Posts
My car was in for Service on 7/30 and 7/31. They said all is fine and normal with the fans. I will call them on Monday and mention the temperature sensor issue. Do you know if this is a known issue, or maybe unique to my I-Pace? The fans are driving me nuts!! I am not kidding, it is louder than my G63 suv!!!
I think CyberSlug is on to something. My fans rarely run. It's certainly less humid here but temperatures get into the mid-90s and the fans run after a long drive and usually only with the AC on.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
292 Posts
No known issue that I’m aware of, but my theory is if a temp sensor is broken and constantly reporting a high / max reading, it would try to run the fans and the battery cooling system constantly to try and bring it back into the proper range.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It is now winter where I am.

Last summer during our 40°C + heat wave I noticed the fan noise was at maximum only for short periods, certainly less than 1 minute.

I only noticed this at the start of recharging at home in my garage. I was also aware of a variable speed controlled reduction from maximum revs.

I am a beta tester of the PCC App and I could observe the reduction of Amps loading as the fan slowed. At the time of starting to charge the traction battery maximum battery temperature I observed was 35°C.

Cheers, Steve

Reactions: Deutsch100
41 - 57 of 57 Posts