Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Same car, just detuned motors for a lower price? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but how do you make money by providing the same hardware, change the software and lower the price?

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
Yeah you have a good point ... maybe they're hoping that volume will make up for it? Also I can't image that it will have a 90 kWh battery ... maybe 62 ... that cuts costs a little.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Perhaps the sticker for our cars was hyper inflated and instead of reducing that price structure and making initial buyers and JLR look foolish, they came up with this marketing strategy which on the surface sounds plausible (?) but with just less powerful motors (I thought perhaps no AWD would have been part of it but motors are plural) with everything else the same or improved at a 20% cost reduction makes absolutely no sense. Perhaps this is a way to recoup some of the development cost via a reduced profit margin as a hail Mary.
To be honest, I'm all in if it helps keep Jaguar afloat.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
502 Posts
Yeah you have a good point ... maybe they're hoping that volume will make up for it? Also I can't image that it will have a 90 kWh battery ... maybe 62 ... that cuts costs a little.
The article states that the new version would be produced in "limited volume". Not quite sure why that would have even been addressed by JLR. Sportier more powerful versions are often limited editions, but cheaper less powerful ....
Me thinks the authors of the article misinterpreted what JLR said somewhere.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah this makes no sense. Says it has exactly the same drive train and same battery. I believe they missed the mark with the price in the first place. These are great cars, but not for $90k.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I think its the same car, just software limited. Tesla does this too
The weight of the car is the same as the EV400 so it has the 90kwh battery, but smaller motor.

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
817 Posts
Same car, just detuned motors for a lower price? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but how do you make money by providing the same hardware, change the software and lower the price?

I actually think it's a brilliant move to achieve a significantly lower price without the need for embarrassment on the part of JLR. Our cars were absolutely priced far too high and thus the miserable sales volume. If you think about it, Tesla does the same thing. They offer a high powered version of most of their models at an absurd premium. Buy the 'lower power' model at a much lower and more reasonable price. As PS702 said, many of Teslas models had simply been software limited to 'achieve' this lower power output.

I believe the kitty price will now be competitive with many other BEVs. If I had been given the opportunity to buy one of these two models at the outset, I may well have chosen the lower priced spread.

But hey, it's time for you debadged guys to put back your 'EV400' tags to show the world you've got the higher priced, higher powered model! :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
I see your point but JLR is bleeding money ....
True, but the additional volume they may gain from a lower priced entry may well make up for a reduced profit per unit. Making a huge profit per unit on a car that barely has any volume is not good. Cutting profit and churning out more vehicles may make sense. Let's hope so.

All in all I'm all in for this move. We really need to see more of these on the road to further the brand recognition in this market segment.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Of course I can hardly wait to see the aggressive marketing campaign for the lower priced I-Pace. JLR marketed the EV400 so well with little or no campaign that many people still do not know that Jaguar has an electric vehicle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Of course I can hardly wait to see the aggressive marketing campaign for the lower priced I-Pace. JLR marketed the EV400 so well with little or no campaign that many people still do not know that Jaguar has an electric vehicle.
That is what I can't believe. Even with the huge markdowns the dealers are doing they get no marketing support from Jag. I have never seen a commercial for the I-Pace.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
502 Posts

So if everything is the same except the max power output, for those here who do not routinely floor it pulling away from lights what is the difference? I'm going to guess trim levels and toys are the answer to a slightly lower price. Remember that even the S-level trim had a few toys as standard.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is what I can't believe. Even with the huge markdowns the dealers are doing they get no marketing support from Jag. I have never seen a commercial for the I-Pace.
Oddly enough, I've seen the same I Pace commercial three times this week in the early morning hours on cable news.

Here's the commercial:

I can't remember when I last saw an ad for the I Pace before this week.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
689 Posts
I cannot count on both hands how many people have commented how cool or beautiful my I-Pace is, and they are floored when I tell them it is electric. Besides a few "car people", no one knows the I-Pace is all electric.

Jaguar won something like 70 International Awards for the I-Pace (some VERY coveted and highly prized) and yet they seem to promote the F-Pace the most. I do NOT understand this at all. Most car brands would KILL to have earned the awards and world wide recognition the I-Pace has earned. JLR seems to not care less :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts