Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please let me know if the I-Pace engine/powertrain computer/module can be tested without performing the 12 hour power down process? The dealership that my vehicle is at right now said they need to complete a 12 hour power down to determine if the part needs to be replaced. I am NOT under warranty right now with 64,000 miles. Please share your feedback. Thank you very much.

· Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,273 Posts
There are several modules involved in the powertrain. It is not like an old ICE with a single engine control module.

The main ones are:
There's the BCM/GWM (body control module/gateway module) that controls all the networks in the car that allows the modules to talk to each other.
There's the BECM (battery energy control module) that controls the power going in and out of the battery.
There's the BEM (battery energy module) that has the power relays, etc., controlled by the BECM.
There's the PCM (power train control module) that controls the EPICs on each motor.
There's the EPIC (electric power inverter converter) module on each motor that controls power going into and regen power out of the motors.

The only ones not requiring a high voltage system power down are the BCM/GWM and PCM. It is a 78 step process to power down the high voltage system. 12 hours seems a bit long but it is definitely a multi-hour process.

Based on the previous fault code posted, it is probably the BEM that needs to be investigated for physical faults. The BECM is a computer module sandwiched between the BEM and the traction battery. The BECM would pass/fail via software tests run by Pathfinder/TOPIx Cloud. I hope they've already given all the cable connections an inspection as outlined by the fault

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! That was an awesome reply. Thus, it sounds like the dealership should be able to rule out the PCM then without having to charge me another $2200 on top of the $600 I already paid for them to come up with nothing. I noticed that about 1/3 of 2019 and 2020 I-Paces currently for sale have had the "engine/powertrain computer/module" as reported to CarFax. It seems that would have been the logical thing to have checked right from the beginning. I think I am going to ask the dealership tomorrow why they needs me to pay $2200 more to rule out the PCM when it does not require a power down.

· Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,273 Posts
Based on the fault code description, the PCM is probably NOT what they mean to investigate but the BECM and BEM. CarFax is useless at terminology when it comes to the details the electronics involved in these cars. They use a generic category that doesn't give any details. Some of those could simply have been the wiring harness going to the front motor that was known for being a slight bit too short.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for that great information. Do you or anyone else on the forum know what would be the approximate time to complete the power down? I am wondering where the dealership came up with 12 hours. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts