Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

I-Pace Competitors

31K views 68 replies 5 participants last post by  PlaidBeaver 
#1 ·
The I-Pace still won't be out for some time but once it does go on sale, Jaguar's electric vehicle will compete with the likes of the Model 3 and the already on sale Bolt EV. I think Tesla is more of a threat depending on how well made the Model 3 is, the Bolt seems to be a utility EV to me.

#2 ·
The I-Pace is going to compete with the Bolt and Model 3 ?! I can't see something with this much expected power and luxury from Jaguar going for anywhere close to the same price as the entry level EVs from Chevy and Tesla.

I was more thinking this could be competing with the upcoming EV suv from Audi although that may be a stretch as well.

#3 ·
Agree with Sprint.

Looking into it more the I-Pace actually taps right into the segment that Tesla's Model X carved out which other car makers have yet to get into. BMW will be releasing an i5, so when that happens it will be another one we can add into this conversation:

Rendering for reference...

#4 ·
I was looking more into the range of already existing electric vehicles for comparison more than performance, but the Model X and BMW i5 does make more sense in terms of performance. We don't know anything about the i5 yet, so we'll have to look at the Model X instead and I think it is currently the fastest SUV in the market with a zero to 100km/h in a claimed 3.1 seconds.

Think Jaguar can do something similar?

#5 ·
Jaguar doesn't even think they'll do better than that lol. They're claiming the range of 4.0.

The i5 does look like an ideal competitor though. Similar sizing, heck even the styling is pretty darn nice. I don't doubt for a second it'll be in the same range in terms of performance as the I-Pace either.

#6 ·
BMW was at one point considering launching M versions of the i3 and i8, so hopefully by time the i5 comes around and the I-Pace comes around we'll see at least one i-series model with an M Package. i5 would be the most ideal model for it, much to the extent of a regular 5-series getting an M-Package. Something which should be a great example for Jaguar.

#11 ·
Ah... see they don't have the option YET. It's definitely testing though.

Aside from that, I do understand that the I-Pace comes with plenty power and twist, but possibly SVR options to make it a bit more aggressive. They can still provide wheels, a kit of some sort, etc.

#10 ·
Although the battery and powertrain might have a certain potential well beyond what its set to come out with (usable) odds are some of the drivetain won`t be able to handle an increase above 15%. When talking bigger power gains usually the drivetrain has to be looked at.

#15 ·
New rumor from Automotive News Europe suggests that Bentley could be joining the all electric SUV race too. Guess the brand thinks smaller SUVs could be stealing sales from the highly profitable Bentayga in the future.

"If you are looking for such a car [small SUV] then we are looking to that in combination with the possibilities to go full electric," said Rolf Frech, Bentley's board member for engineering. "It only makes sense if you get really new customers into the brand."

#16 ·
With BMW having plans for an i5 EV car that might mean whatever power plant goes into that could make its way in the Bentley or something similar that generates an adequate power to weight ratio. After all BMW owns Bentley.

...and apparently BMW also has plans for an eSUV...

#20 ·
With BMW having plans for an i5 EV car that might mean whatever power plant goes into that could make its way in the Bentley or something similar that generates an adequate power to weight ratio. After all BMW owns Bentley.

...and apparently BMW also has plans for an eSUV...
It can't look any worse than the BMW i3 with its tiny nostrils and short electric range. If the i5 can deliver performance and long range all wrapped up in a stylish package, then it may be able to compete against the i-Pace.

#19 ·
Most of the time a production model is a very watered down version of the concept that was on display and it ends up letting down potential buyers. At least with the I-Pace concept, it doesn't look too far off from what a production model could be. But the Audi electric SUV's front will probably get an overhaul.

#22 ·
There`s nothing out on it right now aside from speculation. Somewhere i heard we might get a first look at this years LA Auto Show. LA is one of the key markets for this sort of product. But even that too should be taken with a grain of salt till we get some more confirmation.

#27 ·
Andy Goss who is the Jaguar director of sales and marketing said that "there’s not a car brand at this show that’s not working on a (full-electric) vehicle, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche all have product coming.” So when the i-pace is out, it'll be competing against other automotive giants including Tesla.

#28 ·
Well that's how it has always been for a long time, we've known this for years. Even at information which hinted at the market going this direction. A prime example are all the deals going on better car makers and suppliers, always some of the first things in the process.

#33 ·
So even with all the models they have that cover a lot of well defined segments and doing this for decades, on top of that being the leader for certain segments, you're concerned they will launch something similar to what they already have?

There's a lot of things going on already to suggest what segment it will be in, among all the other obvious information out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.