Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

I-Pace Competitors

31K views 68 replies 5 participants last post by  PlaidBeaver 
Agree with Sprint.

Looking into it more the I-Pace actually taps right into the segment that Tesla's Model X carved out which other car makers have yet to get into. BMW will be releasing an i5, so when that happens it will be another one we can add into this conversation:

Rendering for reference...

BMW was at one point considering launching M versions of the i3 and i8, so hopefully by time the i5 comes around and the I-Pace comes around we'll see at least one i-series model with an M Package. i5 would be the most ideal model for it, much to the extent of a regular 5-series getting an M-Package. Something which should be a great example for Jaguar.

Although the battery and powertrain might have a certain potential well beyond what its set to come out with (usable) odds are some of the drivetain won`t be able to handle an increase above 15%. When talking bigger power gains usually the drivetrain has to be looked at.

New rumor from Automotive News Europe suggests that Bentley could be joining the all electric SUV race too. Guess the brand thinks smaller SUVs could be stealing sales from the highly profitable Bentayga in the future.
With BMW having plans for an i5 EV car that might mean whatever power plant goes into that could make its way in the Bentley or something similar that generates an adequate power to weight ratio. After all BMW owns Bentley.

...and apparently BMW also has plans for an eSUV...

There`s nothing out on it right now aside from speculation. Somewhere i heard we might get a first look at this years LA Auto Show. LA is one of the key markets for this sort of product. But even that too should be taken with a grain of salt till we get some more confirmation.

Andy Goss who is the Jaguar director of sales and marketing said that "there’s not a car brand at this show that’s not working on a (full-electric) vehicle, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche all have product coming.” So when the i-pace is out, it'll be competing against other automotive giants including Tesla.
Well that's how it has always been for a long time, we've known this for years. Even at information which hinted at the market going this direction. A prime example are all the deals going on better car makers and suppliers, always some of the first things in the process.

If BMW comes out with anything like the i3, I don't have high hopes for that compared to the i-Pace. It may appeal to die hard BMW fans, but for those who doesn't have a brand preference that design may drive them away.
So even with all the models they have that cover a lot of well defined segments and doing this for decades, on top of that being the leader for certain segments, you're concerned they will launch something similar to what they already have?

There's a lot of things going on already to suggest what segment it will be in, among all the other obvious information out there.

Picking from the lower end of what audi sells, the A4 provides a great example of what DNA we'll see. Looking at the 2017 A4 and this concept you can sort of see what will fly and what won't. Of course there's only so much we can guess as this is a different model.

My A4 comment should stick since its not always that Audi goes out of their way to make something different that stands out a lot. They stick to reserved styling. The greatest example from them right now is the R8.

It's going to be a wait. If it wasn't for the first e-tron being a model we had running for the past 5+ years, by now Audi would show some new design.

First example will be the e-tron crossover.

e-tron Q3 looks like any regular Q3.

its very possible they don't do anything much aside from a special looking grille (like every other car maker) and I won't be surprised, with the sales they have, why push harder when its not required?

That concept goes well beyond just presenting a future EV but future tech and direction of the automotive industry, too ambitious for suggesting what the next decade or two will be like. What we can take are things like proportions, headlight design, and all those other practical elements.

Its just part of brands trying to find the design identity of the EV's they sell. I see Chevy still testing this, as you can see the Volt got more traditional styling, compared to the last generation that had more obvious EV styling.

The I-Pace is different to an extent, but not by much. It's just an upscale EV SUV so it's really expected for it to look so chic if you will. Anyone can go and buy a great commuter EV like the Chevy Bolt but... it's just not attractive and it's boring.
Yup, it's probably one of the reasons why Chevy's Bolt hasn't taken off as much as expected. Meanwhile you look at Model 3 preorder numbers and that tells you a lot.
Now with Model 3 interior spy shots out, we'll see an even greater response from communities.

great weight capacity for towing since that will go a long way in allowing most folks to live an active lifestyle without limits
you can tow a nice size camper with that capacity, enough to fit a family of four!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.