Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 HSE which has performed admirably for its 34,000 miles over the past 26 months has suddenly exhibited difficulty charging. Obviously having owned an I-Pace for over 2 years I know how it should behave. No matter what I do I can't get it to charge, it just alternates between Charging and Not Charging.

Any suggestions. Dealer tells me 3 weeks before they can even see me! Last time this happened (only briefly, 1-2 days) it was a ChargePoint software update that fixed the situation. Now I've run out of ideas and the DC Fast charger at the dealer (that filled me up on Friday) is now out of commission. With 22 miles on the meter, I basically have no car, as the nearest EA station is 34 miles away. (DC seems to work, but Level 2 does not).

Ideas Anyone??

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,303 Posts
Does the lowly charger supplied with the car charge it?
Any power surges at your location that might have damaged your Chargepoint charger?
Know anyone near you with an EV that might be able to loan you their charger for testing purposes?
Do you hear the locking solenoid activate and lock the connector to the car?

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Has the key fob been away from the car to the point of no communication during all of this? I know it's a silly question on the face of it ... but early on in this forum someone suggested it. I've since had the no-charging situation at least three times (at home, at hotel L2, and at a chargepoint DCFC) and every time it was solved by locking the car, walking away with the fob, waiting a minute, and then just trying again.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 2020 HSE which has performed admirably for its 34,000 miles over the past 26 months has suddenly exhibited difficulty charging. Obviously having owned an I-Pace for over 2 years I know how it should behave. No matter what I do I can't get it to charge, it just alternates between Charging and Not Charging.

Any suggestions. Dealer tells me 3 weeks before they can even see me! Last time this happened (only briefly, 1-2 days) it was a ChargePoint software update that fixed the situation. Now I've run out of ideas and the DC Fast charger at the dealer (that filled me up on Friday) is now out of commission. With 22 miles on the meter, I basically have no car, as the nearest EA station is 34 miles away. (DC seems to work, but Level 2 does not).

Ideas Anyone??
Ayepace, I do hear solenoid clicking on/off at about 20 sec intervals. I getvsame result with:

Home ChargePoint charger (2 1/2 years old)
Dealer ChargePoint L2 charger
NEW Mustart charger I bought yesterday

Sciencegeek, I, too have experienced this on several occasions over my 2 1/2 years driving the car. Typically it self-resolved in a day or two. Tried multiple variations of locking/unlocking, leaving overnight etc. same result for over a week now. Did manage a DC Fast charge at local Jag dealer Friday, but now that charger is “down” (their other DCFC has been down for weeks). With only 22 miles (in low power mode) I can’t even make it to the nearest EA station (38 mi away).

Browsing this forum I suspect the BCCM has failed. Simply can’t charge with any Level 1 (Jaguar trickle cord) or Level 2 charger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I experienced the same thing a couple of weeks ago at a public charging point, really annoying. Changed the RFID (radio frequency identification) card I was using and it was fine the next two times on the same village charger.
Sorry, I have no idea what BCCM stands for, so could be way off the point here…

·
Registered
398 Posts
I experienced the same thing a couple of weeks ago at a public charging point, really annoying. Changed the RFID (radio frequency identification) card I was using and it was fine the next two times on the same village charger.
BCCM is the battery charge control module (or something like that). I had L1 & L2 charging issues that started as the occasional hiccup (stop at some random time overnight and work fine the next morning) but evolved into never getting past initialize. They replaced the BCCM and that solved it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Battery Charging Control Module (BCCM). This module regulates the charging and I've heard they go bad on occasion. Car can operate fine but charging becomes an issue.

Meanwhile 1 week later, no answers from dealer, no one can tell me what's wrong, no loaner, nothing... ready to run it up to corporate. Love(d?) the I-Pace, but will never buy another Jaguar based on the service. I guess I got too accustomed to Mercedes and BMW. No MBZ or BMW dealer ever left me hi and dry with no car, ever (7-8 cars over 25 years). Appalling, really. My wife's been eyeing the RR Velar, but when I explained it would go to the same dealer for service, she said "No F-ing Way." Cayenne or X6 next on the shopping list, maybe sooner than expected if this I-Pace hangup goes another week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks both for the translation. Hope mine is just a glitch, I’ve never had a problem with my iPace in just over two years so fingers crossed. It’s by far the best driving experience I’ve ever had, just wish it would do 1000km or more before needing fuel, like my ancient old Renault Espace.
Dealers really do make a huge difference in how you see a car, mine is the same as sold me my BMW so they know me well and I´m happy with them, even though mine was one of the first all electric cars they sold and they couldn’t know much about them at the time. I got lucky there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts