Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen lots of people saying that they need to let the I-Pace sit and boot up for 30 seconds or longer when starting up, and that without this wait time, some systems don't work properly. I'm hoping software updates have eliminated that problem, because it sounds very annoying.

1. With your current I-Pace software versions, how long do you need to wait after starting the car before driving?
2. If you don't wait for the required time, what problems result - display screens black/nonfunctional? Infotainment unstable? Any problems that interfere with driving?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I really don’t make a point of *waiting* 30sec before driving off...The only specific behavior I’ve changed is starting the car FIRST, often even before I close the door, but certainly before I fasten seat belt, ensure passengers are situated, adjust mirror, plug in phone, situate drinks, papers or other items I’ve brought with me, etc. it does take a few seconds (more than I’d like) for all screens to illuminate, but that hasn’t stopped me from jumping in and taking off immediately when in a hurry. In those situations there may be an uncomfortably longer delay in screens displaying, but nothing more. Probably not the best practice for long term system stability (kind of like shutting down your computer with the off button), but hasn’t caused blue screen or ‘black screen of death’ on any occasion. Sure I wish everything was instantaneous, but booting up an iPhone from off isn’t instantaneous either and few complain about that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I do the same as above, hit start, close the door, fasten seatbelt, and wait until all three screens illuminate before I put the car into gear. Never had a problem when I do this, and although I have not timed it, I doubt it is as long as 30 seconds, may likely in the 15 seconds range. And it is typically another 15 to 30 seconds before all of the various options in the main screen respond (for example, pressing Navigation too soon after the main screen illuminates will often report "Navigation Loading" but then nothing happens, wait about 30 seconds after the screens illuminate and all of the various functions on the home screen work). Would it be nice if the startup process was faster, sure, but is it a show stopper, no, at least not for me. Once everything is booted up the car is such a joy to drive, and be in, that I do not think about the slow startup.

·
Super Moderator
1,576 Posts
When I was still on 18D I always waited until all screens had booted up. After the upgrade to 19C [887] I've begun to just start driving as soon as I can, and I have not had any issues with it. (One week in)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've seen lots of people saying that they need to let the I-Pace sit and boot up for 30 seconds or longer when starting up, and that without this wait time, some systems don't work properly. I'm hoping software updates have eliminated that problem, because it sounds very annoying.

1. With your current I-Pace software versions, how long do you need to wait after starting the car before driving?
2. If you don't wait for the required time, what problems result - display screens black/nonfunctional? Infotainment unstable? Any problems that interfere with driving?
I’ve got all the latest updates other than h264. If I put it in reverse before the main screen displays the jaguar and all warnings all i see on the main screen is the back up camera, no 360 view and no sensor warning view.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I was still on 18D I always waited until all screens had booted up. After the upgrade to 19C [887] I've begun to just start driving as soon as I can, and I have not had any issues with it. (One week in)
That sounds tolerable. Though I'd like to be able to navigate with Android Auto as soon as the car starts. If you start driving right away, does everything eventually boot up and become available after a minute or so?

·
Super Moderator
1,576 Posts
I haven't yet tried AA, but for all the other stuff (bluetooth, screen buttons, climate, etc) the answer is yes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I never wait for any screens, hit start, fasten seatbelt and go, way before screen is ready, never had any issues, screen comes on later every time. My wife has a Volvo XC60 plug in hybrid and it takes a few seconds longer to even allow you to drive. If I just get in, press start and put it in D, it doesn't "get it", stays in P for a few secs and I need to put it in D again, so in that sense, the I-Pace is much better, no delay at all, I can start driving instantly ... as for the screen, yes, I also wish it'd come on sooner :) (Especially Android Auto)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I’ve noticed the I-Pace boots up faster when the ambient temperature is warmer, e.g., 70 F vs 50 F. If I’m in a rush, I usually wait until I hear and feel a thump from the front end (?) of the vehicle. Not sure if it is the brake caliper releasing or something related to the drive train. Any ideas? Vehicle eventually fully boots while I’m driving.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I’ve noticed the I-Pace boots up faster when the ambient temperature is warmer, e.g., 70 F vs 50 F. If I’m in a rush, I usually wait until I hear and feel a thump from the front end (?) of the vehicle. Not sure if it is the brake caliper releasing or something related to the drive train. Any ideas? Vehicle eventually fully boots while I’m driving.
Tomorrow marks 1 week with my new I-Pace...and I noticed booting is faster with warmer temps too. Yesterday and today are in the high 40s, low 50s....and the area in the middle of the main instrument cluster and the climate screen took much longer to boot than I have seen since taking delivery.

Good observation, Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For those of us who owned plugin cars waiting for boot up is normal. ALL electric cars need to boot up. My friend whos got the other brand told me they have the same issues. But instead of backup camera it's the windows not going up or down. I think there are too many small computer need to all boot and sync. I believe the whole industry will get better as EVs matures up.

·
Registered
499 Posts
One thing no one has yet mentioned in this thread: if you unlock the car with the key fob (even if already unlocked) as you approach, this seems to initiate start-up of some systems faster than just opening the door and pressing start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ditto on pushing the startup button and waiting for all the screens to illuminate completely before driving. I always open the doors by using the key fob too, and this seems to provide a bit more time for loading all of the screens. I know I allow 30+ seconds every time before I drive away

·
Registered
539 Posts
With 19C, there's almost no need to wait. Other parts of the system seem to boot later, if not immediately. One exception I noticed are the "LIVE" features like weather and news applets on the right (or left depending on where the steering wheel is), that don't seem to boot if it did not finish loading when one starts driving.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Since the H228 campaign and 19B I find the overall boot time is pretty good, including navigation. Where before I had to do the whole "press and button and wait" dance now everything is up within 10-15 seconds, and the nav had the longest lag but is completely acceptable. Before I would be driving down the road and waiting a long time before I could put a destination in. It really is not much worse than cold acquire/boot times of Nav on most cars.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For those of us who owned plugin cars waiting for boot up is normal. ALL electric cars need to boot up.
No they don't. I owned a Chevrolet Bolt - it's fully electric and booted immediately. No delay whatsoever, same as a gas car.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since the H228 campaign and 19B I find the overall boot time is pretty good, including navigation. Where before I had to do the whole "press and button and wait" dance now everything is up within 10-15 seconds, and the nav had the longest lag but is completely acceptable. Before I would be driving down the road and waiting a long time before I could put a destination in. It really is not much worse than cold acquire/boot times of Nav on most cars.
15 seconds sounds like a very long time for a car to start up; I'm used to everything being ready - including navigation - within about one second after the engine turns over. But I suppose I could get used to it. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts