Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. Driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff on a regular basis. I'm considering a 2022 I-Pace and hoping someone can give me some real-world experience. The trip is 151 miles from door to door with no good charging opportunity between north Phoenix and Flagstaff. There's about half an hour of stop-and-go suburban driving to get to the freeway. After that, there are long two steep climbs on the way north on I-17, one serious but fairly short downhill, plus several more shallow downhill areas. Temps can be anywhere from freezing to 118F in various sections depending on the season. In my current gasoline car, I try to keep my freeway speed at about 83MPH as much as possible. If anyone can give me some feedback on what to expect, I'd seriously appreciate it.

·
Administrator
3,050 Posts
Phoenix to Flagstaff you'll have to be a bit disciplined, preferably keeping your speed to ~72mph, because you're gaining a net elevation of >5000 ft, which will cost you about 12% of battery capacity in potential energy.

Worst case, if you have to limp to the EA charger in Flagstaff because you had a bad headwind, hot day, and just couldn't keep to a lower speed ... big deal. You'll know, watching your GoM/battery percentage.

Return journey you can probably do 83 mph because regeneration will put that potential energy back into your battery.

NB: I sometimes drive up to a friend's cabin in the Sierra Nevada, net gain 6000 ft over 150 miles, but only about half is freeway. I never have an issue and arrive with 20-30% battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phoenix to Flagstaff you'll have to be a bit disciplined, preferably keeping your speed to ~72mph, because you're gaining a net elevation of >5000 ft, which will cost you about 12% of battery capacity in potential energy.

Worst case, if you have to limp to the EA charger in Flagstaff because you had a bad headwind, hot day, and just couldn't keep to a lower speed ... big deal. You'll know, watching your GoM/battery percentage.

Return journey you can probably do 83 mph because regeneration will put that potential energy back into your battery.

NB: I sometimes drive up to a friend's cabin in the Sierra Nevada, net gain 6000 ft over 150 miles, but only about half is freeway. I never have an issue and arrive with 20-30% battery.

Thanks so much! That's very helpful info. A bit different of course from the optimism of the sales guy. ;) Would still be great to hear from anyone who drives that trip regularly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Greetings all. Driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff on a regular basis. I'm considering a 2022 I-Pace and hoping someone can give me some real-world experience. The trip is 151 miles from door to door with no good charging opportunity between north Phoenix and Flagstaff. There's about half an hour of stop-and-go suburban driving to get to the freeway. After that, there are long two steep climbs on the way north on I-17, one serious but fairly short downhill, plus several more shallow downhill areas. Temps can be anywhere from freezing to 118F in various sections depending on the season. In my current gasoline car, I try to keep my freeway speed at about 83MPH as much as possible. If anyone can give me some feedback on what to expect, I'd seriously appreciate it.
I drive from front range Colorado to Breckinridge frequently. 102 miles, 4000 altitude gain. Driving efficiently, but hitting 80+ mph frequently. In the cold winter, I will hit 2.1-1.8 miles per kw. With a roof rack.

It will vary based on road conditions, wind, etc. At 1.8 miles per kw you would barely make it. Only hit 1.8 once at is was in poor weather conditions, driving in snow mode.

Driving home will be a breeze. I average 3.6 miles per kw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drive from front range Colorado to Breckinridge frequently. 102 miles, 4000 altitude gain. Driving efficiently, but hitting 80+ mph frequently. In the cold winter, I will hit 2.1-1.8 miles per kw. With a roof rack.

It will vary based on road conditions, wind, etc. At 1.8 miles per kw you would barely make it. Only hit 1.8 once at is was in poor weather conditions, driving in snow mode.

Driving home will be a breeze. I average 3.6 miles per kw.
Thanks for the input. Always love the downhill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts