Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
I wonder if Tesla is/was subject to the same theft of intellectual property that other American companies have been. If so, Musk may not have cared.
Tesla has no IP worth anything. If anything maybe SpaceX

·
Registered
592 Posts
Batteries? Motors? Efficiency secrets? Autopilot? I don’t think SpaceX would come into play in China, but if so I’d certainly hope that tech wasn’t stolen too.

As you can see, staying totally objective, I’d probably disagree with you. ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wonder if Tesla is/was subject to the same theft of intellectual property that other American companies have been. If so, Musk may not have cared.
Tesla "open-sourced" their patents in 2014, vowing not to pursue litigation against any competitor which used them in good faith.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Tesla "open-sourced" their patents in 2014, vowing not to pursue litigation against any competitor which used them in good faith.
I’m not sure if that applies to everything Tesla. I’m also not sure what ‘good faith‘ means. I mean it’s China, what could go wrong? 😩

·
Registered
834 Posts
Batteries? Motors? Efficiency secrets? Autopilot?

As you can see, staying totally objective, I’d probably disagree.
Batteries are Panasonic, the "million mile battery" is actually CATL (Chinese company) which sells to everyone and Tesla is using now. The motors are obviously fantastic, but I cant say if there is any IP behind them. AP has no advantages worthy of stealing and companies like Xpeng is already doing similar to AP in China.
For the deal Tesla received and how much Gov support they got, I would agree with you that nothing is free

·
Registered
592 Posts
I’m not sure Panasonic would be happy. ;)

I’m sure there’s some beneficial IP to be gotten from the motors. I’d also suggest that their AP is still considered the best in the business. So even there Chinese companies can benefit.

I’ve always hated to see us ripped off.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Autopilot is arguable far, far, far from the best in the business. Tesla trails Waymo, Cruise and others in self-driving strategy, study claims - Roadshow
Tesla makes big promises, has great marketing, and releases unfinished and dangerous products, but their autonomous tech massively lags the competition. Autopilot in not much better than it was 5 years ago. There's this idiotic belief that neural nets are magic, if you can just have enough processing power. Instead, neural nets are magical when you add a ton of hand-coding and a ton of trial and error, and they most definitely don't handle all situations well. Even my google results are still garbage unless I'm searching for something simple.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Autopilot is arguable far, far, far from the best in the business. Tesla trails Waymo, Cruise and others in self-driving strategy, study claims - Roadshow
Tesla makes big promises, has great marketing, and releases unfinished and dangerous products, but their autonomous tech massively lags the competition. Autopilot in not much better than it was 5 years ago. There's this idiotic belief that neural nets are magic, if you can just have enough processing power. Instead, neural nets are magical when you add a ton of hand-coding and a ton of trial and error, and they most definitely don't handle all situations well. Even my google results are still garbage unless I'm searching for something simple.
I would agree with that with a major caveat. There's a big difference between testing better systems in non-production vehicles. My point was that Tesla's AP is the best in the business for production cars, cars that people can actually drive today. Other systems, claimed to be better, can remain in a test fleet for years before actually being implemented by the guys who actually build cars. That's where the 'rubber meets the road'. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi! New member here. Former model y reservation holder. Cancelled due to rotten customer service and lots and lots of build quality issues.

Multiple instances of leaky roofs to add to the known build issues related to the model Y.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hi! New member here. Former model y reservation holder. Cancelled due to rotten customer service and lots and lots of build quality issues.

Multiple instances of leaky roofs to add to the known build issues related to the model Y.

Are you looking to get an I-Pace?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you looking to get an I-Pace?
Yes I am! I test drove one last year when they first landed on dealer lots and thought It was AWESOME. But, it was beyond my price point, so when time came to buy this year, I ordered a Y in February. Fast forward to this month. Sick and tired of dreadful customer service and seeing people who ordered well after me receive their poorly built cars, and NEEDING to have a car, I had a change of heart.

Looking on auto trader, I found several i paces with significant discount that bring it in line with the long range AWD with white interior I had on order. Having already driven one, I’m buying a new 2019 from another state.

She’s an S Borasco grey with red Sport seats among many other upgrades. I put a deposit down yesterday. Have to wait until tomorrow to do finance as I’m using the loan through my credit union that I was pre-approved for. I could not get this deal AND 0% financing. I also have to arrange shipping as the car is not in state. But 24k off MSRP was too good a deal. 58,880 for the Y 58,995 for the i pace. Plus I now get a federal rebate and the state rebate. I would have gotten neither with Tesla.

Personally I do think tesla has better battery tech and motors, however, Jag was smart to use the i pace for racing. This had to help development and refinement. While Tesla is king of residual value, I believe I paces will hold their value well Plus the i pace is a truer SUV, while the Y is more a sport back model 3 with a slight lift kit. Overall I’m quite excited.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yes I am! I test drove one last year when they first landed on dealer lots and thought It was AWESOME. But, it was beyond my price point, so when time came to buy this year, I ordered a Y in February. Fast forward to this month. Sick and tired of dreadful customer service and seeing people who ordered well after me receive their poorly built cars, and NEEDING to have a car, I had a change of heart.

Looking on auto trader, I found several i paces with significant discount that bring it in line with the long range AWD with white interior I had on order. Having already driven one, I’m buying a new 2019 from another state.

She’s an S Borasco grey with red Sport seats among many other upgrades. I put a deposit down yesterday. Have to wait until tomorrow to do finance as I’m using the loan through my credit union that I was pre-approved for. I could not get this deal AND 0% financing. I also have to arrange shipping as the car is not in state. But 24k off MSRP was too good a deal. 58,880 for the Y 58,995 for the i pace. Plus I now get a federal rebate and the state rebate. I would have gotten neither with Tesla.

Personally I do think tesla has better battery tech and motors, however, Jag was smart to use the i pace for racing. This had to help development and refinement. While Tesla is king of residual value, I believe I paces will hold their value well Plus the i pace is a truer SUV, while the Y is more a sport back model 3 with a slight lift kit. Overall I’m quite excited.
That's great to hear and welcome
The Barasco is one of my favorites. I wanted it with the Mars Red interior but it was impossible to find.

Please post pictures

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
144 Posts
My brother-in-law just ordered a model3. I dont want to rain on his parade - hope he gets a 'good' one. It's a lot of money to spend for a bumper to fail.

·
Registered
834 Posts
My brother-in-law just ordered a model3. I dont want to rain on his parade - hope he gets a 'good' one. It's a lot of money to spend for a bumper to fail.
A friend is buying a 3 in SoCal. Because it doesn't rain here or snow, he's not considered with bumpers flying off or paint peeling. He's leasing too so it's Teslas problem, not his

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to admit it but I like the Prius. It was the first successful hybrid, was reliable and efficient. I almost bought one but local Toyota dealerships we're charging $5,000 above sticker so I bought a Civic hybrid for 8 grand less. $8,000 is a lot of gas!
My long trip vehicle is an RX350, speaking of hybrids, The Rav4 Prime looks interesting. Much bigger battery than the Rav4 Hybrid. Itching for a test drive and possibly switching out the RX for it. Let the electric wars continue.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts