Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Dude, this is a normal car!

it will need an alignment periodically. There is no special magic for mounting wheels or balancing them. if a reputable tire shop says they cant do it, find somewhere else because this is a huge red flag. mounting and balancing a tire on a rim is the same whether you are driving a 1962 lincoln, a lamborghini, a pagani or a jaguar i pace. it requires standard, ordinary equipment.

any reputable tire shop should be able to do the work for cheaper than the dealer. if you insist on having the dealer do it, be prepared to pay a bit more.

don't be worried, this is not complicated at all.
Most shops said they cannot do 22'' but I did find one can. It charges more but still cheaper than the dealer. It also claim that it can do kind of balance (faster spin?) that even the dealer cannot. They do say that they won't know if they can do alignment until they see the I-pace.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much is the dealer charging for an alignment? My dealer in Hilton Head does it retail for $219.95 and will give a discount of 15% to bring it down to $186.95. How does this compare to your tire shop retailer?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I need to have my tires replace. Not many shop other than the dealer can do 22 inch tires but I find this shop it can (it claims it is the only local shop that can do "fast spin" balance) but they are not sure if I-Pace needs special tools for alignment. Can anyone answer the question? Should I have the alignment done by the dealer regardless? Thanks

By the way, not much choices for 255/40R22, Pirelli P ZERO Performance Radial Tire- 255/40R22 103V or Continental Premium Contact 6 255/40R22 103V XL (J) Performance Tire. Which one would be your choice? Thanks again
I have had the Continentals on my I-Pace since delivery and have been very pleased with them, as I have also been with other (higher-end) Continental tires on other of our cars in the past. The car/tires have 25,000 miles on them, no issues, still a fair bit of tread life left. So, I would certainly give the Continentals a thumbs-up.

Also, thanks as always to Ayepace for the very complete technical information!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have had the Continentals on my I-Pace since delivery and have been very pleased with them, as I have also been with other (higher-end) Continental tires on other of our cars in the past. The car/tires have 25,000 miles on them, no issues, still a fair bit of tread life left. So, I would certainly give the Continentals a thumbs-up.

Also, thanks as always to Ayepace for the very complete technical information!
I agree that top continental all seasons are excellent tires. However, top Michelins are a step up in my experience.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I agree that top continental all seasons are excellent tires. However, top Michelins are a step up in my experience.
I general, I find that true as well. However, there hasn't been a high-end Michelin in this size - until quite recently I found out today - the Pilot Sport 4 SUV, which is a new model. The Michelins I have owned and liked quite well on other cars, Pilot Sport 4S, Pilot Sport AS/3+ and Pilot Sport AS 4, are not available in this size. I was really more comparing the Continental PremiumContact 6s that were OEM on my I-Pace to the Pirellis. Those Continentals are no longer listed at Tire Rack, though they still are at Discount, so perhaps they are going away anyway. The new Michelins would certainly be worth a look, and, they are a little less expensive than either the Pirellis or Continentals, though not much. I can't find a treadwear rating for them, so that might be an unknown - my Contis are wearing quite well, particularly with my driving style...;)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I general, I find that true as well. However, there hasn't been a high-end Michelin in this size - until quite recently I found out today - the Pilot Sport 4 SUV, which is a new model. The Michelins I have owned and liked quite well on other cars, Pilot Sport 4S, Pilot Sport AS/3+ and Pilot Sport AS 4, are not available in this size. I was really more comparing the Continental PremiumContact 6s that were OEM on my I-Pace to the Pirellis. Those Continentals are no longer listed at Tire Rack, though they still are at Discount, so perhaps they are going away anyway. The new Michelins would certainly be worth a look, and, they are a little less expensive than either the Pirellis or Continentals, though not much. I can't find a treadwear rating for them, so that might be an unknown - my Contis are wearing quite well, particularly with my driving style...;)
I just got the Pilot Sport 4 SUVs on my Model Y. They're certainly better than the OEM Michelin all seasons. More grip. Not significantly louder. I did plus size by an inch, so the ride is slightly better too. I don't have enough miles to know wear, though. I'll almost certainly get them for the I-Pace when the current tires wear.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts