Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes but the I-Pace has a similar battery made by LG.(as far as I know)
I am sure other EV companies will be interested in the failure tests and results.:surprise:

·
Registered
980 Posts
I am not sir3 if the thermal and charge management circuitry is shared, just the cells. The safety of cells lies almost entirely in that design.

·
Registered
900 Posts
That looks like a bit more than a thermal management problem. Some kind of gas forming in a large volume and then igniting. A mini air-fuel bomb.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Something else in the garage may have ignited and the fire spread to the vehicle. Owner may have left something in the vehicle that self-ignited.
Everything is very speculative based on two pictures.

What we do see tells us that it didn't start in the front of the vehicle but it spread there. Note the front left tire is intact but the left rear was burned. Left side of the car's paint is mostly there. Paint on top of the car did not fare as well. Bonnet blown off its hinges? Well something powerful in the frunk area definitely went up forcefully. The main battery pack is not located there. The inside is burned or blackened too.

I went through a rural part of West Virginia on I-77 last week. A mini van was being sacrificed to the road gods (fortunately the opposite side). Too far from any fire department to minimize the damage. Front was totally in flames and interior totally filled with black smoke. Police were keeping their distance. I assumed the driver and any passengers were in the safety of the first responders.

·
Super Moderator
1,578 Posts
"Louise Desrosiers, a Division Chief from the Montreal Fire Department, said they found no other possible cause to the fire apart from the Hyundai Kona."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts