1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
They made a rookie mistake. If your goal is to save money, you use the EA 50kW device if available or other provider if the car is capable of reporting over 75kW to the CCS. And never charge past 80% on a CCS that charges by the minute.

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
HUD, Adaptive Cruise Control, Carplay, 258 mile range? Poor man's I-Pace? After the $7500 Fed credit, that's not a bad choice. But **** UUUGGGLLLYYY! >:)

It won't be hard to find in a parking lot, just listen for all the babies crying and women screaming when they look at it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
HUD, Adaptive Cruise Control, Carplay, 258 mile range? Poor man's I-Pace? After the $7500 Fed credit, that's not a bad choice. But **** UUUGGGLLLYYY! >:)

It won't be hard to find in a parking lot, just listen for all the babies crying and women screaming when they look at it.
Was researching these initially. My wife wouldn't let me buy it. Told me to get the Ipace. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Was researching these initially. My wife wouldn't let me buy it. Told me to get the Ipace. :grin2:
I bought one, the dogs would have nowhere to sleep, because I'd be in their home.:wink2:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok.... Don't mock me gang. I like the Kia and Hyundais!!

My wife has a 2020 Kia Soul EV and I've got the I-Pace.

Pure EV for our household now and no concerns re: range, convenience, maintenance, performance, space.....

The Soul is a funny-looking car, but we think it's cool and at it's price, is very nicely equipped and comfy. We don't even have to fight over the level 2 EVSE in the garage as we each only charge once or maybe twice weekly.

·
Super Moderator
1,915 Posts
Hard to believe, but when the I-Pace and Soul first came out Nyland did a real-world race with them, hundreds of kilometers
Despite its length, it's surprisingly entertaining and the result was interesting!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hard to believe, but when the I-Pace and Soul first came out Nyland did a real-world race with them, hundreds of kilometers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31v46CeuqWg
Despite its length, it's surprisingly entertaining and the result was interesting!
And that was the last generation Soul EV. The new one has a much bigger 64kwh battery and we push 500km (300mi) range on a full charge - in winter!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I really hate to admit this, but I'm too pragmatic not to go evaluate the Kona.
I tested the 2020 Leaf and found it lacking. Not well thought out IMO. Huge step in the cargo area, counter-intuitive interface, CHAdeMO charging iIRC. It's 214 HP felt more like 180. It should have been quicker than a Bolt EV when passing based on power to weight, but it was not.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Drove the Kona EV Ultimate today. It's adaptive cruise appears to be good, it behaved well during a test drive. It's supposed to be a stop-n-go ACC, but I could not test that. The LKA is not 'centering' like the I-Pace, but is mildly helpful. The back seats have headroom, but perhaps not a lot of legroom for tall people. The rear center floor has a small hump, so 3 people will squeeze in OK. It only has 2 USB ports in the whole car that I could find, but does have Carplay/AA and a wireless charger. The HUD is odd, it's a clear plate that rises from the dash and also retracts. Not real easy to adjust it's height. Seats were OK, but Jaguar has nothing to fear there. Tesla might though, and Bolt certainly will. Handling was OK, but the car has a heavy and vague feel to it. From a stoplight, it will spin the tires briefly, but on the freeway, it's not quite as quick as the Bolt at passing, but better than the 2020 Leaf.
Cargo area is good with large opening and almost flat floor, and some underneath storage. No frunk, or even a cover for the powertrain components. 12v battery easy to get to. Lots and lots of interior storage areas, hoarders and college students should fear this car, you'll have a lot of places to search. Oh, and it has a power sunroof, which is an option I've never understood. Like too many EVs sold today, the EVSE is 120v only. Come on guys that's a tow rope, not a car charger.

It's has an EPA combined rating of 258 miles which is essentially tied with the Bolt and post-update I-Pace.

The dealers are only discounting them up to $2000, but they qualify for the full Federal and State credits. In California, that will bring the costs of the fully loaded Kona to $33k approximately.

Emotion: This is a soul-less appliance that has all the appropriate options. The Leaf feels the same. It doesn't instill a desire to shred the tires, or carve apexes. But it doesn't scare you if you try, it's a gelding. This is a good commuter car from what I can tell, and would make an excellent rental car. It's not a baby I-Pace, it's more like what a Leaf would be if they smoothed it out.

Reactions: sciencegeek

·
Registered
761 Posts
Drove the Kona EV Ultimate today. It's adaptive cruise appears to be good, it behaved well during a test drive. It's supposed to be a stop-n-go ACC, but I could not test that. The LKA is not 'centering' like the I-Pace, but is mildly helpful. The back seats have headroom, but perhaps not a lot of legroom for tall people. The rear center floor has a small hump, so 3 people will squeeze in OK. It only has 2 USB ports in the whole car that I could find, but does have Carplay/AA and a wireless charger. The HUD is odd, it's a clear plate that rises from the dash and also retracts. Not real easy to adjust it's height. Seats were OK, but Jaguar has nothing to fear there. Tesla might though, and Bolt certainly will. Handling was OK, but the car has a heavy and vague feel to it. From a stoplight, it will spin the tires briefly, but on the freeway, it's not quite as quick as the Bolt at passing, but better than the 2020 Leaf.
Cargo area is good with large opening and almost flat floor, and some underneath storage. No frunk, or even a cover for the powertrain components. 12v battery easy to get to. Lots and lots of interior storage areas, hoarders and college students should fear this car, you'll have a lot of places to search. Oh, and it has a power sunroof, which is an option I've never understood. Like too many EVs sold today, the EVSE is 120v only. Come on guys that's a tow rope, not a car charger.

It's has an EPA combined rating of 258 miles which is essentially tied with the Bolt and post-update I-Pace.

The dealers are only discounting them up to $2000, but they qualify for the full Federal and State credits. In California, that will bring the costs of the fully loaded Kona to $33k approximately.

Emotion: This is a soul-less appliance that has all the appropriate options. The Leaf feels the same. It doesn't instill a desire to shred the tires, or carve apexes. But it doesn't scare you if you try, it's a gelding. This is a good commuter car from what I can tell, and would make an excellent rental car. It's not a baby I-Pace, it's more like what a Leaf would be if they smoothed it out.
Very accurate assessment

How much would I have to cost for you to pick one up as a commuter?

·
Super Moderator
1,915 Posts
Your question makes me think about whether a commuter should be a cheaper car than your favorite car.

I love commuting with my I-Pace. My commute is easy so there's that but since commuting is where I spend most of my time in a car it might as well be my favorite car. It would suck so have to commute in a car one doesn't really like.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Very accurate assessment

:confused: Can you reword the second sentence?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
DOH!! I forgot regen. The Kona is capable of one-foot driving. It has 3 levels of regen, which are toggled from the left side steering wheel paddle, and boosted regen with the right side paddle. I did not find the Creep Off setting nor could the salesman. The Hill Hold is a button. The car has a lot of buttons.

EDIT - I'm just now starting to read the owners manual. Uggh. On page 2: "Your vehicle is equipped with electronic fuel injection ... ", so I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Very accurate assessment

[img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/img] Can you reword the second sentence?
What would the price point need to be for you to buy one?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
What would the price point need to be for you to buy one?
I'm not sure. The price actually is not bad compared to the feature set and range. But I enjoy driving. I'm pretty sure I'd get bored with it really quick. That never happened with the I-Pace. I've been admitted frustrated by it, but never bored.

I believe there will be lots of choices in under 2 years for EVs. So I'm willing to 'settle' on one that will do the job until then. I had fully expected to keep the I-Pace until the warranty ran out or longer. It was both fun and practical. The Kona seems just practical.

Note that the base model is still equipped OK. And that would be about $25k after all incentives and rebates. But would not have ACC or HUD among other things.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts