Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Attached is a video of the car operating when I hear the noise. If I lean closer to the windshield the noise gets prominently louder.

Any ideas?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eTd1qHTCrS5soBen6
Is your AC functional? I had that same noise, my AC didn’t work and it went away after they replaced the compressor. However, I cannot say for sure that was the cause of the noise

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
There is a fan/motor somewhere in the front that turns on as soon as the car turns on. It gets louder during charger. Maybe its part of the cooling circuit. Do you notice when it starts and at what ambient temperature? Do you hear it when charging?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a fan/motor somewhere in the front that turns on as soon as the car turns on. It gets louder during charger. Maybe its part of the cooling circuit. Do you notice when it starts and at what ambient temperature? Do you hear it when charging?
I'll see next time I start it up

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately it looks like something bigger. The car went in for service Thursday morning bright and early, as of today there's some fault code with the front motor. The service manager told me that Jaguar in New Jersey (I'm in California) advised that they should check the internal oil in the motor. That revealed the presence of metal shavings. Not sure what it amounts to.
Will keep anyone interested posted.

Wheel ball bearing maybe? (Though one would expect that to change with speed somewhat)
I think you're right. When I had my accident I got this noise and they had to change the wheel ball bearings.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Unfortunately it looks like something bigger. The car went in for service Thursday morning bright and early, as of today there's some fault code with the front motor. The service manager told me that Jaguar in New Jersey (I'm in California) advised that they should check the internal oil in the motor. That revealed the presence of metal shavings. Not sure what it amounts to.
Will keep anyone interested posted.
I had metal shavings in the front motor oil. Required replacement of front motor entirely. My symptoms were different, though. It would "clunk" when I went from a stop to a start.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now they are telling me that the new motor isn't communicating with the vehicle. So they submitted another ticket to Jaguar of North America (apparently in New Jersey...) so they won't get a response until Monday. They've had the car now for 8 days.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Now they are telling me that the new motor isn't communicating with the vehicle. So they submitted another ticket to Jaguar of North America (apparently in New Jersey...) so they won't get a response until Monday. They've had the car now for 8 days.
Funny I stumbled across this, did you only notice it at high speeds? I live in Cali as well, and have had mine for about three weeks, and when I get around or above 75 (don't judge me), I hear a sound I can't quite describe, but I only hear it at those speeds.

Did you notice any other symptoms?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not that anyone was interested, but if it helps anyone else, it looks like when they did the H264 they didn't put back in the grommets in the engine cover, the plastic cover in the engine compartment. So at higher speeds, the cover was rattling in the compartment.

At least, that's the working theory so far since they're missing.

<holds breath>

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not that anyone was interested, but if it helps anyone else, it looks like when they did the H264 they didn't put back in the grommets in the engine cover, the plastic cover in the engine compartment. So at higher speeds, the cover was rattling in the compartment.

At least, that's the working theory so far since they're missing.

<holds breath>

as above, while unlikely related to the OP's issue, an 'FYI' for the community at large- Just yesterday, while on the highway, doing 75-ish, i heard an intermittent, muffled 'screech' sound, seeming coming from somewhere under the car. Didn't seem to vary with speed, but seemed to start and stop shortly after going over small bumps or expansion joints. It was troubling enough that I got off the highway at the next exit, found a parking lot, and had a look. Turns out that the small air deflector in front of the left rear tire had come loose, and remained anchored only by a single one (the inner-most, if I recall) of its little plastic anchoring pegs. As such, it had pivoted longitudinally from its normal transverse position, so that the loose end was bouncing off of, and getting partially ground down by, the front of the left rear tire. I was able to snap it back in place, but it still seems a bit more 'wiggly' than it should be. I think I'll order a repalcement.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
830 Posts
as above, while unlikely related to the OP's issue, an 'FYI' for the community at large- Just yesterday, while on the highway, doing 75-ish, i heard an intermittent, muffled 'screech' sound, seeming coming from somewhere under the car. Didn't seem to vary with speed, but seemed to start and stop shortly after going over small bumps or expansion joints. It was troubling enough that I got off the highway at the next exit, found a parking lot, and had a look. Turns out that the small air deflector in front of the left rear tire had come loose, and remained anchored only by a single one (the inner-most, if I recall) of its little plastic anchoring pegs. As such, it had pivoted longitudinally from its normal transverse position, so that the loose end was bouncing off of, and getting partially ground down by, the front of the left rear tire. I was able to snap it back in place, but it still seems a bit more 'wiggly' than it should be. I think I'll order a repalcement.
Mine did the same. Replace under warranty but it came loose too. I put some double sided tape on it (side facing the underside of car). It's held it a bit, but it looks like it's coming loose again. I think I'll put a proper fastener on the outer end too.

The inner end has a "screw" that spreads the faster into the underside, and there are two "pegs" that are supposed to lock into slots. I think there's supposed to be metal spring clips on those too, but mine are missing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK - so here's the latest for anyone following:

The front motor was replaced in a day (apparently this is a known issue). The tech said when he checked the oil inside the motor it looked almost like mercury from all the metal that had sheared off.

This, however, did not fix the noise that is present in the video I had previously uploaded.

I went for a ride with the tech and the shop foreperson, where we, fortunately, were able to replicate the noise. He seems confident that it's wind noise, and he will attempt to locate the cause on Monday.

Fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts