Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I won’t go into any details of why needed the tow; that’s for a different post if I decide to post.

I want to help the community in regards to what Apparently Jaguar recommends for towing.

Today, SUN Morning, the tow truck arrived, a flatbed. Since the car will not disengage from park and will not release the parking brake, he was just going to drag it using a wench. I strongly advised him to reach out to Jaguar and find out the proper way to tow the I-Pace, as i would not be held responsible if he damages the electric motors.

Long story short, AAA (who Jaguar dispatched), said they talked to Jaguar and they were recommended to send a specialized vehicle that has Go Jacks, which is a way to jack up the car onto wheeled dollies. THen the car is dragged onto the specialized flatbed. The specialized flatbed has a two part system, where the end of the flatbed can change its angle.

Very frustrating process.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I had to have this done twice when my car hard-failed last August, once to fetch the car from the roadside and move it home (the dealer's gates where locked); then again to get it to the dealer after their gates had opened. A flatbed was sent first both times and in both cases the driver decided it wasn't a safe solution so another truck was sent.

There are trucks that do a four-wheel lift, using a dolly at the front and a lift at the rear. The truck looks more like an old-fashioned tow truck but with special lifting mechanisms. A nice thing with this approach is that there is no dragging of the car, the mechanisms lift the wheels straight up in the air. Here's a photo of mine as it was being rescued near where it had failed.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
From the manual:

"The recovery agent must activate the transmission park release before recovery commences. The procedure for activating the transmission park release is covered in a separate publication for service personnel. Failure to activate the transmission park release can result in serious damage to the vehicle."

It seems odd that they prevent owner's from seeing this information and the Jaguar Assistance staff doesn't seem to know how to access it.

Someone with access to the I-Pace service manual should post the recovery method here as a sticky.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Someone with access to the I-Pace service manual should post the recovery method here as a sticky.
I thought this was a good idea but took it one step further: I printed out the excerpt from the manual in your post along with the relevant text from Time2Roll's posted link and stuck this in the glovebox with the physical manuals... just in case. I wouldn't want to have to hunt it down again if/when I'm stuck on the roadside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts