Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Livermore Jaguar and had a long, enlightening talk with Jesus, the service manager.

1. Turn on vehicle departures/preconditioning and set a time when you night usually depart. I think you can do this for just one day a week but you might need all seven days. Do it in the car, not from the app, as the app doesn't update right away.
2. In the same screen, you can hit the options button to set a charge time. We have ours set from 11PM to 6AM.
3. When you park the car, it will ask if you want timed charging or not. Say yes. Sadly, this must be done every time. It should be the opposite. Also a window like a text message may block this.
4. Plug in the car and look at the dashboard. It will say that the car is on a timed charge.
5. The car may charge before the set time if it thinks that it needs more time to complete a charge. So if you have 5 miles left, a 32 amp charger, and only 7 hours of scheduled charge time, the car will start before the 7 scheduled hours.

It's a poorly designed system. Timed charging and departure/preconditioning times should not be connected, though I get why they did this.

My only question is, if I have one preconditioning time set for the week, and if I follow all the directions, will it charge during the preset hours even if the departure day is far away.

Reactions: LauderdaleFE

·
Registered
392 Posts
I set the departure for next Sunday (7 days from today) and the Goodbye screen displayed the option for timed charging which I selected. I plugged in the charging cable and the LED flashed blue. I just checked my Incontrol app and it indicates that timed charging is active. Thanks for the tip! Works like a charm.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Did all that. Selected timed charge. Programmed window gives 10 hours (10p - 8a) of charging and vehicle needs maybe 5 hours. There was some delay but did not wait for the 22:00 hour setting.
Departure time is set for 8am all week.
I have an old dumber than dumb Schneider 30 amp EVSE.

What did I do wrong?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did all that. Selected timed charge. Programmed window gives 10 hours (10p - 8a) of charging and vehicle needs maybe 5 hours. There was some delay but did not wait for the 22:00 hour setting.
Departure time is set for 8am all week.
I have an old dumber than dumb Schneider 30 amp EVSE.

What did I do wrong?
I set only one departure time all week. 6am in the morning on Monday, or something like that. No others. Otherwise it actually sets the car temp and such, which I don't want. Then I make sure to hit the power button, wait for the "do you want to timed charge" question, hit yes, and then open the door. If I open before that, timed charge won't work.

It has nothing to do with your dumb charger. I have two dumb chargers and they both work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, newbie here, had the i3 for the last 5 years and 82k mi. Setting up timed charging was a 2 minute process.

With my new IPace, I just spent the last 2 hours trying to set up my timed charging. I sat up the preferred timed charging for midnight to 5 am. The manual shows a On/off button for the “goodbye screen” that some of you mentioned here. Somehow I don’t see the on/off button for the goodbye screen. Is my software not updated?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't have the on/off screen either, on either of our I Paces. I gave up trying to make it work, and accepted it as a bug on an otherwise great car. I expect a future update will make it work...maybe.

Hello, newbie here, had the i3 for the last 5 years and 82k mi. Setting up timed charging was a 2 minute process.

With my new IPace, I just spent the last 2 hours trying to set up my timed charging. I sat up the preferred timed charging for midnight to 5 am. The manual shows a On/off button for the “goodbye screen” that some of you mentioned here. Somehow I don’t see the on/off button for the goodbye screen. Is my software not updated?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't have the on/off screen either, on either of our I Paces. I gave up trying to make it work, and accepted it as a bug on an otherwise great car. I expect a future update will make it work...maybe.
I think that in 9 months (I only subscribed the forum today) You should know it already, but here it goes the sad true... There is no On/Off screen button... The text refers to the normal On/Off button to start the car...

Hope it helped...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all, I hope you’re well?

Newbie to the forum and to I-Pace so please excuse if this has been addressed already.

I’ve checked the thread above and we’re having the issue as follows:
  • I-Pace scheduled charge isn’t really being respected. We tried setting a scheduled departure for one day per week and then every day, to test.
  • On leaving the car, we get the “turn on timed charging?” screen and say yes to that
  • We plug in the charger and lock the vehicle
  • Depending on the range left in the car, it either 1. does respect the charging schedule if it thinks current range + range to be added during scheduled charge = full battery or 2. if it doesn’t like the above, it disrespects the scheduled charge and simply begins charging anyway, the second it’s plugged in
I’ve followed the thread above with great interest and tried everything but it appears that the schedule is overruled, at anytime, just because of the preconditioning settings.

Yet it appears that the preconditioning schedule settings are the only way that it’ll respect any kind of schedule at all.

Did I miss anything?

Am I doing anything wrong?

Being honest, the whole charging experience is shockingly bad for a car of this quality, to the point we’re likely to send it back and just get another Tesla, which is excellent at this.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I know it’s an additional expense, but investing in a wifi charger like the Charge Point Homeflex, results in a perfect, no hassle charging experience. I’ve had perfect timed charging 100% of the time. I don’t bother messing around with the car’s scheduler. It can really improve your outlook towards the car.

In my case it saves me money with off-peak charging rates.

Buying the charger seems like a far better alternative than going back to the lower quality of a Tesla, especially if that’s your only real sticking point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all, I hope you’re well?

Newbie to the forum and to I-Pace so please excuse if this has been addressed already.

I’ve checked the thread above and we’re having the issue as follows:
  • I-Pace scheduled charge isn’t really being respected. We tried setting a scheduled departure for one day per week and then every day, to test.
  • On leaving the car, we get the “turn on timed charging?” screen and say yes to that
  • We plug in the charger and lock the vehicle
  • Depending on the range left in the car, it either 1. does respect the charging schedule if it thinks current range + range to be added during scheduled charge = full battery or 2. if it doesn’t like the above, it disrespects the scheduled charge and simply begins charging anyway, the second it’s plugged in
I’ve followed the thread above with great interest and tried everything but it appears that the schedule is overruled, at anytime, just because of the preconditioning settings.

Yet it appears that the preconditioning schedule settings are the only way that it’ll respect any kind of schedule at all.

Did I miss anything?

Being honest, the whole charging experience is shockingly bad for a car of this quality, to the point we’re likely to send it back and just get another Tesla, which is excellent at this.

I know it’s an additional expense, but investing in a wifi charger like the Charge Point Homeflex, results in a perfect, no hassle charging experience. I’ve had perfect timed charging 100% of the time. I don’t bother messing around with the car’s scheduler. It can really improve your outlook towards the car.

Buying the charger seems like a far better alternative than going back to the lower quality of a Tesla, especially if that’s your only real sticking point.

Thanks so much, Ken - we actually ordered an OHME cable with the inbuilt timer to attach to our dumb PodPoint - let's see how that goes!

·
Registered
2020 S
84 Posts
Set a bogus, late departure time like noon - something late enough that the car has plenty of time to fully charge from the beginning of your desired charge window. JLR thought they were saving us from our own stupidity by starting to charge before the desired window if the car couldn't be fully charged by the departure time. All it really did was frustrate and confuse.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,047 Posts
I think that in 9 months (I only subscribed the forum today) You should know it already, but here it goes the sad true... There is no On/Off screen button... The text refers to the normal On/Off button to start the car...

Hope it helped...
Thank you for the contribution, but there's more to it.

The i-Guide shows an on/off for Goodbye screen as number 2. This was initially there. It hasn't been there since many infotainment system updates ago.

Based on 20C level of infotainment software:

A preconditioning settings screen only has two lines. In my case, I've already set up a preferred charging time period and departure times.
The screen will be different if neither of these are set.

One way you can get to this by going the the Preconditioning screen and then touch the "gears" or settings icon on the bottom line (3rd from left).
Then touch Preconditioning settings on the settings screen that pops up.

Once values are set, the goodbye screen should pop up when you shut down the car (by button) before opening the driver door.

What a GOODBYE screen looks like. The first time it pops up, the Preferred charging period will be "off". Touch "on" to activate it. This will be remembered.

The goodbye screen does not pop up if you just open the driver door to shut down the car (as I have a habit of doing).

What a cluster looks like for a short period when the car is off, the charging cable is attached and TIMED CHARGING has been activated.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,047 Posts
Now that I verified preferred charging works (it started charging during the preferred period) and departure preconditioning works (it was ready to go at the appointed time), I deleted the scheduled departures with the 'CLEAR ALL DEPARTURE TIMES", and left the preferred charging period.

The GOODBYE popup does not have the option for timed charging on/off. It only says there are no scheduled departures.

However, timed charging is still in effect. I verified this by attaching the charger cable and observed the cluster as above and the blinking blue indicator at the port. The apps all say "waiting to charge" too.

So the magic to enable timed charging is:
  • Set a charging period
  • Set a departure time in the future
  • Turn off the car via the start/stop button before opening the door to get out
  • Ensure timed charging is YES on the GOODBYE pop up
  • Leave the car and connect the charger cable to validate timed charging is activated via the port LED and cluster display
(bullets 1 - 4 were included in jsimon7777 original post)

Optional:
You can get back in, power up the car, go to the preconditioning settings and clear all departures.

Comments on Infotainment programming:
  • enabling timed charging via GOODBYE pop up is the wrong place for that
  • requiring a departure time to get the initial opportunity to enable timed charging is not clear
  • it is not good user interface to give the option to enable/disable timed charging in the GOODBYE pop up only when there is a departure set
  • should have enabling/disabling timed charging at the preconditioning settings
They also need to fix i-GUIDE.

This should help people without smart chargers that enable charging periods.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Comments on Infotainment programming:
  • enabling timed charging via GOODBYE pop up is the wrong place for that
  • requiring a departure time to get the initial opportunity to enable timed charging is not clear
  • it is not good user interface to give the option to enable/disable timed charging in the GOODBYE pop up only when there is a departure set
  • should have enabling/disabling timed charging at the preconditioning settings
They also need to fix i-GUIDE.

This should help people without smart chargers that enable charging periods.
I think JLR knows how to do this right because the Evoque PHEV has it in a very good and simple format (and the infotainment look exactly the same).

The principal differences are:
  • On the preconditioning settings (and on departure settings) you can define if you want to associate charging or climate comfort to each departure set;
  • If you have a prefered charging time, when you leave the car there is a pop up button only saying: "charge now". So, if you need to chage outside the prefered time, you only need to press that button when you leave or vehicle. If you don't do nothing, the car enters "Timed Charging" until the prefered time.
So simple... Why can't we have it on I-Pace also...
(Note: I didn't read this somewhere... at home I drive the I-Pace and my wife the Evoque PHEV, so I been experience the Evoque PHEV feature... got the PHEV for a month now and I-Pace has 6 months)

·
Registered
44 Posts

[/QUOTE]

"Shockingly bad" may be an understatement. After quite literally dozens of threads and probably hundreds of posts across various forums over at least 2 years on this one SIMPLE issue, it remains unresolved. So obviously, JLR simply does not care to resolve it. Really, just horrible customer service. For those of us who have had Teslas, we know what a simple and basic feature this is, and it is so obviously an easy and simple fix for JLR. JLR, if you are monitoring these forums, as you claim to do, THIS IS A NECESSARY FUNCTION for most people, and has been a source of great frustration for many, many owners for years now. Yet there is not one bit of progress being made in addressing it. It is just shameful.

I really do like this car a lot, but some of the technology would have to improve by leaps and bounds to be considered even second-rate.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't get why it's so frustrating. We just set the car for departure one day a week, and then it charges fine every night we plug it in. Now it defaults to timed charging, too, so no more waiting and setting it on. I'm not sure what else I'd need with charging. I know Tesla puts out tons of software updates, but I've seen as many complaints as compliments about that. "Hey, this feature is gone. WTF!" is a common Tesla refrain, or at least it was when I used to check Tesla forums.

In the end, the charging is unintuitive but works perfectly fine.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
586 Posts
I don't get why it's so frustrating. ........ In the end, the charging is unintuitive but works perfectly fine.
Have to agree. I charge perhaps once a week, sometimes more often, but the operation is simple - plug in car and walk away.
I understand the concept of saving $$$ using off-peak rates, but seriously we have just spent $50-90k on a beautifully designed luxury car that drives like a dream, and we should throw this away for the sake of a few hundred dollars in charging costs.
I respect the Tesla concept and invested in the company, but would not trade in kitty for one just to set timed charging.

·
Registered
8 Posts
(...) and we should throw this away for the sake of a few hundred dollars in charging costs.
I respect the Tesla concept and invested in the company, but would not trade in kitty for one just to set timed charging.
It's not only a cost thing it is an environmental thing. It's important to try to use energy when it is more available, not only for the cost. It's better to use the energy when it is available. Jaguar makes that configuration very difficult... But I agree that it is not for that that I chose another car.

After making a lots of test drives, I know that actually the I-Pace is the best full electrical car in the market.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts