Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove company cars for 45 years, and bought a Volvo upon retirement.

Volvo is now 7 years old with 200,000 km on the odometer, and I'm looking to trade it in for an I-Pace. It's my first time buying a car with a trade-in, but I assumed the dealer would take a look at the car, name a price and then send the car to auction. It seems that this dealer wants to find a buyer for the Volvo before we can do a deal.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
27 Posts

Volvo is now 7 years old with 200,000 km on the odometer, and I'm looking to trade it in for an I-Pace. It's my first time buying a car with a trade-in, but I assumed the dealer would take a look at the car, name a price and then send the car to auction. It seems that this dealer wants to find a buyer for the Volvo before we can do a deal.

Is this normal?
NO.

that is ridiculous.

Think about it: how long do they expect you to wait before you get your I-Pace? what if they have months and months of tire-kickers and no real serious buyer on the Volvo?

Sale of the trade is not your responsibility, if so, why not just sell the Volvo privately?

This is not a purchase and sale of a house. This is hat car dealers do. Your assumption is correct. I'd tell them to go piss up a rope.

good luck!

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE EV400 SE
7 Posts
If you have a carmax near you, get a quote. This will help you negotiate with the dealers, as they usually will be willing to beat it. We've never heard of waiting for a buyer first before selling a car - I would go to a different Jaguar dealer if I were you.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
750 Posts
NOT normal and this dealer is full of BS. Try Vroom, Shift, Carvana or Carmax. They will give you a quote within mins online!

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
If the plan is to have only one car, I would highly suggest keeping Volvo for few more weeks after you get an I-Pace just in case, then sell by yourself. Given the stats, its residual value is quite low, but it may be a huge time and nerve saver if something goes wrong with I-Pace.
Had a great experience with Carvana, both price- and process-wise.

·
Registered
2020 S
108 Posts
If you have a carmax near you, get a quote. This will help you negotiate with the dealers, as they usually will be willing to beat it. We've never heard of waiting for a buyer first before selling a car - I would go to a different Jaguar dealer if I were you.
I've done this before and it worked well. The new dealer adjusted my quote to come out even with Carmax. It may have helped that the salesman wanted to keep my old truck for himself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the plan is to have only one car, I would highly suggest keeping Volvo for few more weeks after you get an I-Pace just in case, then sell by yourself. Given the stats, its residual value is quite low, but it may be a huge time and nerve saver if something goes wrong with I-Pace.
Had a great experience with Carvana, both price- and process-wise.
I've done this before and it worked well. The new dealer adjusted my quote to come out even with Carmax. It may have helped that the salesman wanted to keep my old truck for himself.
I'm in Canada and I don't think that (your) Carmax operates here. My impression is that someone registered the Carmax name in Canada but with a different business model.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Is this normal?
Hi - This is not normal in the US. Another idea would be to buy my 2019 SE from me (Indus Silver, 6K miles). My wife does not like riding in it because of some neck issues. Great car! One of the best including 3 Volvos. You can see my other posts on this forum. I don't know about the issues of buying a car in the US (SF Bay area) and taking it to Canada. ($50K US) Just a thought.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Buying a car in the US involves boatloads of paperwork and import duties. And transport costs, which would be problematic since I'm a long long way from SF.

With new cars, US dealers are not permitted to sell to Canadians.

K

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you are not in a rush, I'd suggest keep looking. Something sweet will come up and when it does be ready to pounce. Buy the best car you can afford!

I sent you some information via DM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts