Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is inspired by Steve's post ONE discharge to 0% causes >5% battery capacity loss

Each 1000ft of climbing (roughly 300 meters) uses 1.89 kWh if it's just you. Each additional passenger will be about 1/25 more.

You should get back 90% of that on the downhill if you drive at the same speed. If you drive faster cause it's downhill yeah you'll get back less.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wouldn't make any significant noticeable difference in sciencegeek's results. I was interested, so I wrote them down.
sciencegeek = 4784lbs + 220lbs = 5004 lbs. With driver
Motor Trend HSE w/22" wheels tested = 4946lbs. Curb Weight (Without driver?)
My local dump HSE w/22" wheels = 5060lbs + 140lbs = 5200lbs With driver (I weigh 140lbs) I probably had my trailer hitch on the car when I had the dump weigh it. +50lbs?

Text Font Line Parallel Number Text Line Font Number Parallel

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok old thread but why not resurrect it instead of posting a new one.

Today my wife and I drove up and down some portions of Sonora pass, Hwy 108, in the CA Sierra Nevada. According to Google Maps we climbed (and descended) a total of 9000 feet up and down each. I think GM overestimates elevation delta, but I'm sure (by map) that it was more than 8000 ft of climbing and, obviously since we ended up at the same place we left, 8000 ft of descending.

We used 30% of battery over 86.5 miles. Average speed was in the mid-forties. That's a range of 288 miles. As usual, Dynamic mode only, this time no ACC because curves.

This is not the first time that I'm finding that, empirically, you really do get almost all the potential energy back on the downhill that you've spent on the uphill, but it's the most dramatic example yet in my experience.

According to the trip meter, we regened (is that a word?) 13.4 kWh, or 16% of a 84kWh usable battery; at 288 miles of range, that's equivalent to 46 miles ... more than half the distance we traveled!

I love electric drivetrains :cool::LOL:🍺:love:

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Start at junction of Mono Road and Hwy 108 in Cold Springs and turnaround past the pass at ca 7000 ft

·
Registered
50 Posts
The extra energy you will use to go uphill is easy to calculate.
The energy required to raise 1kg 1 meter on earth is 9.82 Joule.
For an I-Pace of 2320kg that means 22.8kJ for 1 meter, which equals 6.33Wh. For 8000ft that is 15.4kWh.
Regen efficiency is very similar to drivetrain efficiency in other circumstances, at about 85% on average. So if you regenerated (😎) all energy you should find a total of 13.1kWh. Remarkably close!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts