Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things I noticed when people were discussing battery charge levels and longevity is how many people were thinking long term. I buy a new car every three to four years. So I never contemplated doing anything for battery longevity. Plus new technology changes all the time. How long do you intend to keep your I-pace?

·
Registered
692 Posts
One of the things I noticed when people were discussing battery charge levels and longevity is how many people were thinking long term. I buy a new car every three to four years. So I never contemplated doing anything for battery longevity. Plus new technology changes all the time. How long do you intend to keep your I-pace?
My 4 year old granddaughter has laid claim to the I-Pace so the plan is to keep it for at least 12 years, lol. On a side note, my 2 year old grandson wants his father's Subaru WRX STI. He loves cars! So, we're doing everything to keep it running...

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
708 Posts
3 years MAX. I love my I-Pace...LOVE, but this is NOT a car to keep long term. Actually most modern cars are not designed, nor manufactured to last that much longer than the warranty periods, sadly. Of course you can keep one for a long time, but each repair will most likely be in the $1000-3000 range and software updates out of warranty are costly and timely.

I really feel the W124 Mercedes E-Class (1986-1995) was truly the last premium car to be built to last decades, not just for a warranty period.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
522 Posts
I will probably run it into the ground. 10-15yrs would be good.
I usually keep an ICE vehicle until it needs significant engine work. Brakes, struts, tires, exhaust I will fork out for. An engine or transmission rebuild - I draw the line.
New tech is nice, but I always ask myself "do I need it?" My wife used to laugh because I was probably one of the last people on earth to buy a CD player. Now record players are back in vogue and streaming music is the way, I feel vindicated.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
305 Posts
My last 2 cars I kept for 5y (2007 Audi A3) and 7y (2012 Audi A6), but I knew going in on the i-Pace I would only keep it for ~3y. Between advances in energy density, efficiency, and charging, some features related to safety (ex: digital rear view mirror), and expecting Wireless CarPlay (important since it sounds like Apple will get rid of the data port on the iPhone in 2021 or 2022) make this car a transition car for me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My last daily driver lasted 17 yrs (2001 Audi allroad), which was replaced by my I-Pace. All of my previous cars were driven for at least 8-10 yrs, which the exception of my 1990 Miata (red, of course), which I still have. I’m guessing I will keep the I-Pace for as long as it is under warranty, then upgrade to the latest BEV tech.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm leasing so depends on reliabilty over the lease term. No issues yet but if they start developing i would give back at end of lease. If no significant problems would consider end of lease purchase. Prices may come down for BEV by then so may make sense to start another lease on new car. Should be more choice too.

Love the car though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just until the next big leap forward is released. I just use my car as a daily driver with no long trips, so it works great for me now. But if things change and all of a sudden you could get 500 miles on a charge and you could charge to 80% in 30 minutes then I would have to take a serious look at upgrading or get that as our second car used for trips. Of course this also depends on how reliable the charging stations become, not there yet. This is just the beginning!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
No horizon. As long as it works and doesn't cost too much to maintain. And we're not sick of it, which i doubt will happen.

·
Registered
280 Posts
3 years MAX. I love my I-Pace...LOVE, but this is NOT a car to keep long term. Actually most modern cars are not designed, nor manufactured to last that much longer than the warranty periods, sadly. Of course you can keep one for a long time, but each repair will most likely be in the $1000-3000 range and software updates out of warranty are costly and timely.

I really feel the W124 Mercedes E-Class (1986-1995) was truly the last premium car to be built to last decades, not just for a warranty period.
My experience (albeit limited" is that cars today seem more reliable than 20 years ago. I had my Lexus 450h for 8 years with 230k km and other than a touch of rust on some chip spots, looked like new. A little maintenance would have gotten many more years had I wanted to. Super solid and reliable.

·
Registered
2019 I-Pace FE Photon Red
54 Posts
I plan to run it into the ground as long as it doesn't break the bank.
I'm close to retirement and if the retirement community I decide to live in has all the amenities, then having an EV makes total sense for the long term.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We bought a 10 year/125,000 warranty for our 1st I Pace. The miles are racking up quickly (13,500 in 9 months), but we'll keep it to max out the warranty. Our 2nd I Pace has the Jaguar CPO 6 year warranty...I'll keep that through the 6 years, and probably pass off to my daughter if it is behaving okay at that point. This is a big change for us, as we were previously in near yearly car rotation.

·
Registered
135 Posts
We bought a 10 year/125,000 warranty for our 1st I Pace. The miles are racking up quickly (13,500 in 9 months), but we'll keep it to max out the warranty. Our 2nd I Pace has the Jaguar CPO 6 year warranty...I'll keep that through the 6 years, and probably pass off to my daughter if it is behaving okay at that point. This is a big change for us, as we were previously in near yearly car rotation.

Can you pl. share the details on the 10 year warranty?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I usually keep a car for about 6 years, by which time depreciation has slowed right down and I've had my money's worth. Then my kids might take them - my son is driving my 2005 6 series BMW as a daily driver. Conservation - not unlimited consumption!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I usually keep a car for about 6 years, by which time depreciation has slowed right down and I've had my money's worth. Then my kids might take them - my son is driving my 2005 6 series BMW as a daily driver. Conservation - not unlimited consumption!
My main concern for passing this onto another relative is the battery. Specifically that the I-Pace is so niche I'm concerned there will never be a third party battery reconditioning service for the I-Pace. Right now a new battery is tens of thousands of dollars from the dealer. Which basically makes the car scrap once the battery warranty expires.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have to just smile while reading this discussion- coming from my perspective of still driving two vehicles, one of which was bought in '95 and the other in '97.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I drove my '06 until '19 (and kept it as a backup).

I don't know that I'd match that with this vehicle, but since it is far more satisfying, I could see holding it through, say, the 10 years of battery guarantee.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
522 Posts
Right now a new battery is tens of thousands of dollars from the dealer. Which basically makes the car scrap once the battery warranty expires.
I assume you mean "once the battery expires". Items under warranty are designed to last longer than the warranty. I wouldn't expect the battery to go from 80% health to an unusable level overnight.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Already 14 months in, so I'd be 40% along on a 3-year hold, that would be way too soon. Unfortunately I would be one of the first to keep beyond the 5-year warranty period if I do, and would therefore have no 'guidance' about the car's post-warranty performance. Like #Zofran said, depends mainly on the next order of magnitude leap in range or charging speed. Then again, if charging stations multiply like I anticipate, it would ameliorate those issues anyway. Now fully autonomous driving, THAT would be "order of magnitude" upgrade. I guess that's what most Tesla owners are buying into today.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts