Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Only drink water. Avoid any type of sodas, coffee, tea, fruit juices. Eat whole fruits.

I have done this pretty much my whole life and I haven't been sick in over two years. I am 52 and I am still able to play basketball with people that are half my age.

Brent

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Only drink water. Avoid any type of sodas, coffee, tea, fruit juices. Eat whole fruits.

I have done this pretty much my whole life and I haven't been sick in over two years. I am 52 and I am still able to play basketball with people that are half my age.

Brent
I used to consume massive quality of alcoholic beverages, still enjoy a beer or two occasionally. Currently drink large quantities of Dr. Pepper, but previously lived on a steady diet of Mountain Dew. I eat pizza and Peanut M&M’s most days. I’m 56, can run an 8 minute mile for 5+ miles and a marathon in a bit over 4 hours.

Point is, it isn’t just a matter or drinking water, but rather genetics...

·
Registered
521 Posts
I used to consume massive quality of alcoholic beverages, still enjoy a beer or two occasionally. Currently drink large quantities of Dr. Pepper, but previously lived on a steady diet of Mountain Dew. I eat pizza and Peanut M&M’s most days. I’m 56, can run an 8 minute mile for 5+ miles and a marathon in a bit over 4 hours.

Point is, it isn’t just a matter or drinking water, but rather genetics...
I am in envy of you. I run nowhere. Of course, never being in a hurry for anything will help me live longer too. Hypertension killed my grandfather when I was a year old and I inherited his veins (genetically of course, not actually).

I too consumed mass quantities of beer and fiberglass, er, peanut M&Ms (love 'em) but had to give both up. My liver started crying about 19 years ago and I took pity on it. I've since realized that my life was never enhanced by pouring alcohol in my mouth, it just seemed like it. Besides, I really hate hangovers and in your late 50s they can last for days.

The M&Ms was more a fear of weighing 300 LBS some day.

I also have my grandmother's longevity gene, which means I could end up like her living with one lung, half a stomach, one kidney and I don't remember what all else she had removed - plus high blood pressure.

Maybe I'll reconsider the M&Ms after all. I just don't seem to be able to moderate with Mars Candy products. They're too yummy.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
I really hate hangovers and in your late 50s they can last for days.
Yes, I gave up on hangovers at least 20 years ago. I have no idea how guys like my dad could drink a case or two of beer every night and still get up at the crack of dawn working construction every day! No thank you!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yes, I gave up on hangovers at least 20 years ago. I have no idea how guys like my dad could drink a case or two of beer every night and still get up at the crack of dawn working construction every day! No thank you!
You build up a tolerance. A case or two every night? I hope you're kidding! I stopped doing that at the age of 20. It was all downhill from there.

TBH I didn't drink non-stop from 15 to 40 years old (yes I started at 15 and had a beer gut at 16). I took several breaks to smoke weed instead but sometimes we did both. Weed is infinitely better (especially if you don't burn it to get the drugs), and doesn't get you into fights, or jail just for being belligerent. But I gave that up too. I decided that my business associates deserved to have a partner that isn't half-stoned every day. It just seemed like the right thing to do. Now I put my money into investment vehicles. Gonna need that cash one day. :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
You build up a tolerance. A case or two every night? I hope you're kidding!

[/IMG]
Honestly, not even a slight exaggeration and he was doing it in his fifties. He stopped drinking cold turkey when he was around 60 because he was diagnosed with diabetes and one of his drinking buddies had just lost a leg on account of it, so it scared him straight. He ended up with a major heart attack, 5 vessel bypass about 10 years later and then lost a leg a couple years later. But he still managed to make it to 76, living independently, building shtuff and working on his cars right up until the end.

I’m in the tiny minority of folks who has never smoked weed. Wasn’t even ever tempted to. But then I was one of those guys that didn’t by a VHS player until they had **** near been replaced by DVD’s...

·
Registered
521 Posts
I’m in the tiny minority of folks who has never smoked weed. Wasn’t even ever tempted to. But then I was one of those guys that didn’t by a VHS player until they had **** near been replaced by DVD’s...
I think you're part of the silent majority on that one really. I know lots of folks who have guardedly admitted to not even being curious.

Speaking of high blood pressure, weed's real benefit that we may not see in our lifetime is that it's a natural blood pressure med, unlike the crap they feed me and then have to monitor my blood levels for this and that imbalance. While I was using it my BP was 120/80 EVERY TIME! When I gave it up my genetics took over and I've been taking synthetic whatever, with the side effects and all.

I don't know if THC is part of the balancing act. There are several drugs in the plant, one of which is not deleterious and helps epileptic kids in a huge way where medical science has failed them. Folks with epileptic kids have moved to Colorado et al just for this treatment.

You dad was a human tank (the military kind, not the booze vessel kind). I've known people who drank like that but can only count them on one hand. One guy started every evening downing a fifth of scotch as a warm up.

Cool to hear how dad kept going though. Too stubborn to give in. I love people like that. I had a root canal yesterday done by a guy I've adopted as my new grandfather. He's still doing endodontics well into his 70s and is showing no sign of decline. He's a tough old city Pollock - the best kind. I intend to be like them too, hopefully with 2 legs though. I refuse to retire. I'll just change careers if need be.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think we're giving tips on how not to be healthier. >:)

Quote attribution intentionally left out said:
Only drink water. Avoid any type of sodas, coffee, tea, fruit juices.
I drink water for lunch and dinner and while working outside. OJ is a must for breakfast. I think I can blame Edward Bernays for that. Pretty sure he added it later on to bacon and eggs.

I drink weak but very tasty coffee all day. I make it to look like tea. Dr. Pepper is great but Coffee is the biggest source of antioxidants in the western diet. Plus it has riboflavin, pantothenic acid, manganese, potassium, magnesium and niacin. Plenty more pluses to read about here:

13 Health Benefits of Coffee, Based on Science

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
When you are young, don't crash so much.
When you are older, your body isn't going to forgive you. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
When you are young, don't crash so much.
When you are older, your body isn't going to forgive you. :D
I'll second that. Now that I have two small children I'm starting to see ortho to address the wear and tear I've put on my body... Might have a date with a scalpel in my future.

Be safe out there! :smile2:

·
Registered
521 Posts
My problem isn't that I was too hard on my body when I was young, it's that I refused to admit that I'm not still 19 in my later decades. I wound up having surgery for a ruptured disk in my back. 10 years later I'm 19 again!! >:)

Dantrium has a point about genetics and in some ways I'm a beneficiary (others clearly not). But if you lose the youthful spirit in your heart no amount of good genes matters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts