Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got into the car to change a setting and as soon as I turned the car on I got this warning. I'm assuming this cannot be good.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm charging the car now to 100% after googling up McRat's similar issue that went away after being charged. I'm hoping that's it because I've read of similar error messages that resulted in horror stories. Oh well, I had 2 days of trouble-free driving. :(

·
Super Moderator
1,714 Posts
Aw shit. So sorry about that. I think that'll be a trip to the dealer, it will probably come back.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I understand it, it didn’t come back with McRat after he charged to 100%. I’ll admit I’m probably in denial, but I have my fingers crossed.

So weird, there wasn’t a hint of an issue today and Thursday the battery checked out perfectly. That’s why I’m hoping it’s just a software glitch.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Oh crap!! This sucks at any time, but stings so much more when you just get the car. Let's ALL keep fingers crossed that this will go away and stay away after a full charge. Yes, for some this has meant horror.....so let's all hope for the best for you. Keep us posted! Sorry :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so some potentially great news here. I followed the same procedure as McRat, charging to 100%. What I noticed is that even after achieving 100%, 'charging' continued for almost 20-30 minutes afterward. I'm not sure if this was some kind of cell rebalancing or something, but the bottom line is that the error message is gone! Obviously I'll keep a close eye on this, but I'm somewhat encouraged given that in McRat's case, it didn't reappear again.

Interestingly I seem to recall something like this happening to me when my MS was brand new. I got a whole slew of error messages like what occurred in the I-Pace. As I recall there was nothing that I did, but the next day the error message disappeared. Things like this do tend to happen with the Tesla, so maybe this is something that occurs from time to time with BEVs. Obviously in googling up this issue, there were others where this message didn't go away and all sorts of 'fixes' were applied with varying success. It appears this message has occurred frequently enough in the history of the I-Pace where you would think that dealers must have gotten some procedures to deal with this from Jaguar.

At any rate I'm greatly relieved. Here's hoping this relief is more than temporary! :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update. Took the car out this morning and drove about 16 miles. Absolutely perfect, no issues (knock wood) and just driving bliss. I did notice the GoM seemed more accurate on this go-around, so I'm not sure if that was somehow related to what was going on with the charging after it had reached 100%.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Just an update. Took the car out this morning and drove about 16 miles. Absolutely perfect, no issues (knock wood) and just driving bliss. I did notice the GoM seemed more accurate on this go-around, so I'm not sure if that was somehow related to what was going on with the charging after it had reached 100%.
Unlike Tesla, The I-Pace needs to be charged to 100% more often.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I have not done a full charge in several months, as I love having full regenerative braking. We live in a Canyon and my first part of my drive is a lot of steep downhill. When I charge to 100%, I have no regen. braking for the first 1/4 of my morning drive.

The I-Pace needs regular 100% charges? :-O

·
Registered
51 Posts
Unlike Tesla, The I-Pace needs to be charged to 100% more often.
According to JR, it is safe to charge to 100%, as there is a build in buffer so you are not really charging it to 100%. My questions are:
1) Is there actually a benefit to charge to 100%, besides it gives you longer range and less charging cycles?
2) There is also a buffer at the other end. Do we know numbers on those buffers? For example, how many miles are still here after it hits 0%? H264 lowered buffer at the lower end and that is the main reason we got more range after h264 but JR should release the limit at the other end so we can use it occasionally when needed. We just need not to charge it to 100% regularly. Or JR should have a setting for us to release that limit.
3). What is the best % to start a charge?
Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Another data point. I’ve had my iPace for about 1.5 years with round 9000 miles, and I think I’ve charged to 100% at most 5 times. Never found a need to fully charge, except for road trips.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not done a full charge in several months, as I love having full regenerative braking. We live in a Canyon and my first part of my drive is a lot of steep downhill. When I charge to 100%, I have no regen. braking for the first 1/4 of my morning drive.

The I-Pace needs regular 100% charges? :-O
If it's anything like the Tesla is shouldn't 'need' frequent 100% charges, but for some it might be more convenient to leave each day with 100% charge. I agree it's nice to have the regenerative braking right from the get go. It's the same with the Tesla, fully charged you get almost no regenerative braking.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Given that you reported that you don't see a value for the BECM or TCU in the SOTA display, I strongly suggest that you talk to the dealer, mention this occurred, and you'd like to ensure the car has the latest updates for those. There are documents on file with NHTSA about customers reporting issues and the first thing JLR suggests is to bring the car up to current software levels.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Given that you reported that you don't see a value for the BECM or TCU in the SOTA display, I strongly suggest that you talk to the dealer, mention this occurred, and you'd like to ensure the car has the latest updates for those. There are documents on file with NHTSA about customers reporting issues and the first thing JLR suggests is to bring the car up to current software levels.
The dealer claimed he did all the update. I had written out the last two on a sticky (H264 & the one after that) and he insisted they were both installed. Certainly if this recurs or upon my first service visit, I'll have them double check.

·
Registered
448 Posts
BECM is self explanatory when you look at the SOTA display and the most likely involved with the battery issue. TCU is telematics control unit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I should mention that the CARFAX report for my car shows the following service was performed on 9/11/19

• Vehicle serviced
  • Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have had all updates done and I have the same thing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts