Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had started a thread about the mechanical issue I had, which seems to be a problem with some earlier i-Paces, but his one is about the bad dealer service experience I am going through.

My i-Pace had to be towed into the dealer for a “Gearbox Fault” which made it undrivable. I bought my i-Pace at Galpin in Van Nuys and they had serviced it well so I had it towed there as they knew my vehicle. It was a Saturday and their service center was closed until Monday. Monday comes and I talk to my service advisor and he tells me that he is going to get it diagnosed.

At the end of the day, I check in and he lets me know that they are going to download the data and should have an answer in the morning (Tuesday). Tuesday comes and I ping him for the answer. He calls me to tell me that they have to replace the wiring harness (which given the other posts on the forum, should have been the expected diagnosis.) He then says the part could take a week to get in stock (maybe less) and that the service is a four day job. Unbelievable! But what can I do. He assures me the part will be ordered that day and that he’ll give me an ETA for when it arrives and that they will get started on the car as soon as the parts arrive.

I don’t hear from him with the expected time, so I ping him again the next day and he gives me good news. The parts have come in and they will get started on my car in the morning (Thursday morning). We then have a discussion about the length of the repair. I tell him I’ve since seen the Technical Bulletin from JLR on this issue and I know it is an 11 hour job. He hadn’t seen the Bulletin so we go back and forth about the parts numbers, he tells me he sees it’s a 9 hour job. I assume from Topix. Anyway, I rest easier knowing that my car will be done, maybe by Friday but likely by Monday. Pretty good. I posted the update to let everyone know how happy I was. … I spoke too soon.

Just before 4 pm on Friday, I give my service advisor a call to see how the progress is. He doesn’t pick up, but as I am on hold for voicemail, another service advisor calls to tell me that my regular service advisor will be on vacation next week and that he will be taking care of me and that my car should be ready to start repairs ON TUESDAY! I tell him that my regular advisor promised me that it would be started the day before our call and that I was expecting that it might get done the on Friday, not first start repairs they day after it reasonably should be finished.

He then tells me something that causes me to lose my mind. He tells me “I don’t know if you know this, but Galpin is opening its Land Rover dealership this weekend and we had 200 cars to get ready.” Like I said, I lost it. I told him that my car had been there since Saturday and I didn’t care that the dealer had its own cars to get ready, that wasn’t my problem. They had promised to get my car fixed and that they were going to start on Thursday not the following Tuesday. I then asked to speak to the service manager.

He transferred me to the service manager, who did not pick up. I left him a voicemail message. That was 4 pm yesterday. I still have not heard back form him. I guess the service manager takes off early on Fridays and doesn’t return call on the weekends.

I don’t know how JLR let’s this happen given that they charge premium prices for their cars. This is not what I expect from a service department for a luxury brand or from any brand of car.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I found my best JLR service advisors to be females. No one else, in any other dealership likes to talk on the phone, let alone pick up the phone.

I let them know after a week that the second it hits 30 days, I'm lemoning the car out, letting corporate know about the service and putting unfavorable reviews on Yelp etc.

They seem to get right in line.

I also try and speak to the foreman as the SAs are just order takers

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,109 Posts
I understand your anxiousness to get the cat back. Personally I would not want this job rushed in any way. This may take longer than the 9-11 labor hours allotted if this is the first they've ever done. Let them do it right not rushed.

I once did a repair on a car that had an 8 hour estimate. It did take all of that for the first one and car manufacturer instructions. However, after having done a few, I actually got the time down to 4 hours since I could lay out the specialized tools required in a specific order and knew the steps without having to constantly refer to the detailed procedure (that I wrote, posted on the internet, and later found out that the car brand mechanics were using it instead of the scant "official" instructions).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand your anxiousness to get the cat back. Personally I would not want this job rushed in any way. This may take longer than the 9-11 labor hours allotted if this is the first they've ever done. Let them do it right not rushed.

I once did a repair on a car that had an 8 hour estimate. It did take all of that for the first one and car manufacturer instructions. However, after having done a few, I actually got the time down to 4 hours since I could lay out the specialized tools required in a specific order and knew the steps without having to constantly refer to the detailed procedure (that I wrote, posted on the internet, and later found out that the car brand mechanics were using it instead of the scant "official" instructions).

I agree completely, that is why I waited 2 days after they were supposed to start the job to seek a progress report. Instead I learned that they had not even begun the job and would not until at least Tuesday of the following week and that they delayed fixing my car so that the dealer could launch another brand dealership prepping his own cars.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I agree completely, that is why I waited 2 days after they were supposed to start the job to seek a progress report. Instead I learned that they had not even begun the job and would not until at least Tuesday of the following week and that they delayed fixing my car so that the dealer could launch another brand dealership prepping his own cars.
Do you have a loaner in the meantime?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a loaner in the meantime?
I don't. The dealer is about 30 miles from my house and the car was towed there on a Saturday. I didn't want to waste about 2 hours to get the loaner when I thought the car would be done in a few days. Well now it is 11 days and the communication from the dealer is still very poor and in frequent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts