Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Curious:

I use a level2 charger, connected to a 240 volt plug, then into the I-Pace.
Numerous members on this forum have mentioned JuiceBox or ChargePoint home systems. Are there advantages to using these systems? Where I live, electricity rates are relatively inexpensive; around $0.10 CA per kwh. The aforementioned charging systems are not cheap; running upwards of 1 thou CA.

Cheers,

Bruce

·
Registered
691 Posts
Some of the more expensive charging systems have apps that allow you to monitor the status of the charge, set a timed charge or set a maximum % that you would like to charge. They're not any faster and sometimes the complexity of the system can be a problem. I have Chargepoint and really like it but occasionally it will not connect to WiFi and bluetooth and will not charge without the connection. If you're happy with your current system then I'm with Sciencegeek and there's no reason to spend the extra dough.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just Curious:

Numerous members on this forum have mentioned JuiceBox or ChargePoint home systems. Are there advantages to using these systems? Where I live, electricity rates are relatively inexpensive; around $0.10 CA per kwh. The aforementioned charging systems are not cheap; running upwards of 1 thou CA.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bruce - several on this forum use dumb chargers because we are not in tiered electric rate territory. I use Mustart. It works great, but lacks the ability to capture charging history, charge state metrics, wifi notifications, etc. I don't personally need or care about those features, so Mustart is fine and it is about $300USD on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/MUSTART-Portable-Charger-Electric-Charging/dp/B077DC39J9/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=mustart&qid=1581688452&refinements=p_89:MUSTART&rnid=2528832011&sr=8-1

You can check that and other brands available in Canada if you don't need the wifi and history features.

Reactions: epirali

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bruce - several on this forum use dumb chargers because we are not in tiered electric rate territory. I use Mustart. It works great, but lacks the ability to capture charging history, charge state metrics, wifi notifications, etc. I don't personally need or care about those features, so Mustart is fine and it is about $300USD on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/MUSTART-Portable-Charger-Electric-Charging/dp/B077DC39J9/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=mustart&qid=1581688452&refinements=p_89%3AMUSTART&rnid=2528832011&sr=8-1

You can check that and other brands available in Canada if you don't need the wifi and history features.
We don't have any of the tiered/time-of-the-day pricing structure either and I went with the Mustart charger too. I bought the 40Amp charger to future proof myself. It's simple, no-frills, but efficient charger.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Another very positive vote for the Mustart charger, specially with the I Pace, works flawlessly. I had this and another dumb charger, noticed the Mustart maintains full 7 KW until near full, while the other one fluctuated up and down occasionally and took longer to charge the car. But only with I Pace, with a Bolt they both were identical.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Another very positive vote for the Mustart charger, specially with the I Pace, works flawlessly. I had this and another dumb charger, noticed the Mustart maintains full 7 KW until near full, while the other one fluctuated up and down occasionally and took longer to charge the car. But only with I Pace, with a Bolt they both were identical.
I am about to buy a level 2 charger and have been looking at the Mustart.

Some reviewers say that the connection into the car is a very tight fit and somewhat difficult. Have you found this to be so?

Regards,

Roger

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
No not at all, not on any one of four cars I have tried so far. The mold/connector is a standard part so I would be surprised.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just Curious:

Cheers,

Bruce
Unless you want some monitoring and control features they are all about the same. All the EVSE does is communicate with the vehicle and close a relay to present power. Once that relay closes power goes straight through to the vehicle. No efficiency to gain with all the features. Your existing L2 is fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing. It charges fine. Takes about 5 hours to go from 50 to 80%.

Cheers,

Bruce

1 - 11 of 11 Posts