Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has a cable retracting system installed in your garage for your home charger or have any recommendations? I found some, but they are more expensive than the chargers themselves!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
353 Posts
I looked into the EvoReel. I love the concept, and was even willing to pay the insanely high price, but it's only rated for 30A. While that is fine for the i-Pace, I specifically bought a 40A charger to be a bit more future-proof, and since this is more expensive than the charger I won't be getting it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked into the EvoReel. I love the concept, and was even willing to pay the insanely high price, but it's only rated for 30A. While that is fine for the i-Pace, I specifically bought a 40A charger to be a bit more future-proof, and since this is more expensive than the charger I won't be getting it.

That company has a cable retractor (called EVoCharge EV cable retractor) and the following which I am finding interesting so far.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,245 Posts
If we bugged Chargepoint, or others, about this need, I wonder if they would market something at a reasonable price. Many public chargers have retractors like that. It would increase their "economy of scale" to sell retractors using parts that are already being used on their chargers. I know the higher kW chargers don't have these due to the weight of the cooled cables. The lower kW chargers (like up to 6.6kW) have these.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I kind of prefer the cable on the floor... easier to walk over, roll bikes over, walk the dog over, etc. Having it hanging like in that video would be a nuisance.
I'll trade a 5-10 second "roundup" of the cable for a trip to the gas station anyday.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is the real unit you likely want, https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Balan...0QG437XV3CC&psc=1&refRID=NMA1E5GR50QG437XV3CC

It is similar to what you see used in auto shops where they have tools or hoses to dispense oil or other fluids. I looked at one of these, but then like dtgsrq said, I like on the floor so that you can walk over it. I have enough slack in mine to pull to the vehicle and allow the step over, but then put back in the holder on the wall and the slack is out of the way.

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
310 Posts
Buy an Andersen charger with best cable stowage. Best looking charge solution currently available and very practical

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
689 Posts
Interesting wallbox. But the cable is still on the floor getting dirty when charging. The chargehanger avoids that.
While certainly an option, this approach transfers a "cable on the ground" to a "cable suspended in the air". While I'm not concerned about my cable getting dirty in my nice clean garage, a tripping hazard is certainly a problem. For that reason, my charger is located on the rear wall of my garage and I pull the car forward to prevent anyone walking in this area. Your approach leaves the cable at shoulder and head height leading to alternative dangers. Ones that I hope you address in your sales literature. A lawsuit could be expensive.
More importantly, if we were to adopt such an approach of suspending the charging cable in the air, it would seem from an engineering perspective that redesigning the charging handle such that the cable was orientated up when attached to the car rather than down would be important.
In my opinion, the best approach is to have a neatly coiled cable in a secure and convenient location on a wall, and take the extra 10s to uncoil/recoil before and after use rather than leave cables dangling all over the place.
On a side note: In my opinion, unsolicited commercial advertising on forums such as this is are unwelcome and disrespect the intent and spirit of this forum to freely discuss and, in an unbias manner, disseminate news/issues related to these vehicles

·
Registered
Tesla
4 Posts
Hello Qtown,
Concerning the Net-etiquette, I'm respecting the rules of this forum, which allow "to make recommendations as posts in response to direct requests for product/service suggestions", I am not spamming, I hope my posts are welcome.

Concening the technical solutions
Yes, for sure, coiling/uncoiling is a solution, but those extra 10 seconds two times a day is exactly what I invested a lot of time to get rid of :)
Of course the cable and arm are to be mounted overhead, and not at shoulder height, the user manual will also be online quite shortly.
For the redesign of the plug, that is not a good idea, because it will lead to water ingress in a typical outdoor setup, so even if a cable comes from the top, a small loop, and a bottom angled plug is much safer and also more convenient to have the slack in the cable to be able to plug in comfortably.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
689 Posts
Hello Qtown,
Concerning the Net-etiquette, I'm respecting the rules of this forum, which allow "to make recommendations as posts in response to direct requests for product/service suggestions", I am not spamming, I hope my posts are welcome.

Concening the technical solutions
Yes, for sure, coiling/uncoiling is a solution, but those extra 10 seconds two times a day is exactly what I invested a lot of time to get rid of :)
Of course the cable and arm are to be mounted overhead, and not at shoulder height, the user manual will also be online quite shortly.
For the redesign of the plug, that is not a good idea, because it will lead to water ingress in a typical outdoor setup, so even if a cable comes from the top, a small loop, and a bottom angled plug is much safer and also more convenient to have the slack in the cable to be able to plug in comfortably.
Not sure what your usage of the I-Pace is but coiling/uncoiling "two times a day" seems a little excessive. I charge on average once a week. 10s/week is not worth the cost of buying, installing and playing around with your cheap looking gadget.

Sorry to sound negative, but a forum is a place to voice opinions and review such gadgets. This does not look like it would be worth my time/effort/cost.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Home grown. About 30' of red bungee cord running through two pulleys, with a hook on it, retracts our 240v cord plug up to about 6' off the floor. My wife and I are both shorter than that. I wrap my 120v cord over a hook hanging from the ceiling. I use the 120v cord on the Jag and my wife uses the 240v cord for the BMW. My wife needs to get a stool (nearby) to use the 120v cord. (I just bought stock in red bungee cord!)

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 S
109 Posts
I run my 25' charging cable across the ground in front of the car and then coil and hang the plug end a few feet from the front driver's corner so it's very convenient to plug in. The large cable protector on the ground prevents the cable from being a tripping hazard.
20210515_130158.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts