Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone has a cable retracting system installed in your garage for your home charger or have any recommendations? I found some, but they are more expensive than the chargers themselves!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
305 Posts
I looked into the EvoReel. I love the concept, and was even willing to pay the insanely high price, but it's only rated for 30A. While that is fine for the i-Pace, I specifically bought a 40A charger to be a bit more future-proof, and since this is more expensive than the charger I won't be getting it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked into the EvoReel. I love the concept, and was even willing to pay the insanely high price, but it's only rated for 30A. While that is fine for the i-Pace, I specifically bought a 40A charger to be a bit more future-proof, and since this is more expensive than the charger I won't be getting it.

That company has a cable retractor (called EVoCharge EV cable retractor) and the following which I am finding interesting so far.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
904 Posts
If we bugged Chargepoint, or others, about this need, I wonder if they would market something at a reasonable price. Many public chargers have retractors like that. It would increase their "economy of scale" to sell retractors using parts that are already being used on their chargers. I know the higher kW chargers don't have these due to the weight of the cooled cables. The lower kW chargers (like up to 6.6kW) have these.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I kind of prefer the cable on the floor... easier to walk over, roll bikes over, walk the dog over, etc. Having it hanging like in that video would be a nuisance.
I'll trade a 5-10 second "roundup" of the cable for a trip to the gas station anyday.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is the real unit you likely want, https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Balan...0QG437XV3CC&psc=1&refRID=NMA1E5GR50QG437XV3CC

It is similar to what you see used in auto shops where they have tools or hoses to dispense oil or other fluids. I looked at one of these, but then like dtgsrq said, I like on the floor so that you can walk over it. I have enough slack in mine to pull to the vehicle and allow the step over, but then put back in the holder on the wall and the slack is out of the way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts