Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Blink charger (24 amp) has been the main source of charging for my car over the past year but now it only charges 2 miles before the it pops the fuse. I've tried this 10 times over its always at 2 miles. However, it works fine with teh smart car EV. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,021 Posts
Faulty "fuse"? Do you mean the circuit breaker in the box? Do you mean a fuse in the charger? I hope you don't have an old home electrical system still using fuses.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Faulty "fuse"? Do you mean the circuit breaker in the box? Do you mean a fuse in the charger? I hope you don't have an old home electrical system still using fuses.
No its a relatively new house and the fuse box was replaced last year when they installed the charger. It works with the smart car ev but the Jaguar pops the fuse in the house main fuse box (30 amp circuit breaker)

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,021 Posts
Faulty breaker or the Blink is going on the blink when the Jaguar requests its maximum output.

·
Registered
2020 S
147 Posts
Is the breaker a GFCI? That might cause the problem. I've heard they can be touchy with EV chargers.

It could also be a temperature issue. I would check the temp around your breaker. The I-Pace will max out a 24A charger, and 24A is the max continuous rating of a 30A breaker at usually 40C (104F) ambient. If it's hotter than that around the breaker, then it can trip once it runs 24A for a while. The I-Pace can heat up a garage while charging also. If the Smart EV pulls less amps and/or doesn't heat up the garage as much it could explain why it doesn't have a problem.

The chart below was stolen from Schneider's website for their Square D QO breakers as an example. The curves are the max rating not the continuous rating which is 80% of max.

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Symmetry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the breaker a GFCI? That might cause the problem. I've heard they can be touchy with EV chargers.

It could also be a temperature issue. I would check the temp around your breaker. The I-Pace will max out a 24A charger, and 24A is the max continuous rating of a 30A breaker at usually 40C (104F) ambient. If it's hotter than that around the breaker, then it can trip once it runs 24A for a while. The I-Pace can heat up a garage while charging also. If the Smart EV pulls less amps and/or doesn't heat up the garage as much it could explain why it doesn't have a problem.

The chart below was stolen from Schneider's website for their Square D QO breakers as an example. The curves are the max rating not the continuous rating which is 80% of max.

View attachment 6999
thank u thats great info

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace S
46 Posts
“Is the breaker a GFCI? That might cause the problem. I've heard they can be touchy with EV chargers.”

my electrician said that the new code wants GFCI but that all the EV chargers have their own breaker and the two can result in repeated tripping of one or both. We avoided this issue by directly wiring instead of using a plug, which would have necessitated the GFCI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts