Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I purchased I Pace in summer of 2019. It is a beautiful, sleek, sexy machine. I joined this forum several months after purchasing the 2019 HSE. I no longer have the 2019 HSE, I exchanged it for a 2020 HSE. Again, a beautiful, sleek, sexy machine. My love affair ends there with the look of the car.

Part 1...call it the UGLY
I took the 2019 on a road trip about 90 days after I purchased it. The car has a nice feel and a smooth ride. On the return trip home several days later, after charging up in the morning, I stopped at the dealership to get a charge to be able to get home. I asked the dealer if I could use their fast charger. They said yes. They plugged the HSE into their fast charger. The charger would not charge. The dealer said something appeared to be wrong with their fast charger. They offered to plug the HSE into their level two charger, I declined because I did not want to wait several hours to get a sufficient charge to get home. I opted to go to an Electrify America (EA) terminal at an area mall to get a fast charge sufficient to get home.

After spending several hours there on the phone with EA because none of the terminals were connecting to the car, and I was unable to get any charge, I went back to the dealership, which was now closed. I tried the dealers level two charger that was outside. No charge. I took the level one charger supplied with the car and plugged it into an outside outlet at the dealership, no charge. I filled out the after hour maintenance envelope, put the key bob in the envelope, and left the car in front of the service doors. I called a hotel to check in for the evening, called a cab to take me there.

I called the service department the next day and they said the car was not charging and they would look in to it and get back with me. (The dealer did provide a loaner car so I could get home.) I called a week later to inquire on the status of the car, I was told there appeared to be a malfunction in the cars charging modules. It would be awhile to get it repaired since there was NO service technician on staff at the dealership trained to repair/fix the charging modules. It took another two month plus to get a technician trained, the parts ordered, and the car repaired/fixed. By this time, the dealer had the car as long as I did. When the call came in the HSE was repaired/fixed, I drove the loaner car back to the dealer. I spoke with the service technician about the issue. I asked to speak to the manager over the service department to express my displeasure in the customer support. I requested two things:
1. pay for SirusXM radio for a year since the free promotional period had run out (I only had the car 3 months at best before the charging issue arose and the dealership had it nearly 3 months to get it repaired) and pay for public charging for a year at EA terminals or,
2. give me a full and complete refund.

After expressing my dissatisfaction to the dealership's customer service approach about this issue with the head service manager, I asked to the speak to the General Manger of the dealership. I expressed my disappointment with how long the repair/fix took, my dissatisfaction with the communication on the matter, and the total lack of any red carpet approach to make me feel appreciated with the long wait and to keep me wanting to keep the HSE and keep me as a customer. After we talked for awhile I told him I would get back with him. I left the 2019 HSE at the dealership, turned down their offer for another loaner, and had a friend drive me back home.

I decided I did not want the 2019 HSE and wanted a full complete refund. We, the dealership, Jaguar America, and I discussed the matter. They offered a compatible 2020 HSE at no additional expense to me. I thought about it and accepted the offer to swap cars (the dealer provided funds to cover Sirus radio for two year). A beautiful, sleek, sexy machine.

Part 2...call it the BAD
The 2020 HSE is a beautiful, sleek, sexy machine. After several months of driving and enjoying the car, I was out and stopped at an Electrify America terminal to charge the car. None of their chargers would charge the car. After spending several hours on the phone with EA support and not able to fix the issue, I was close enough home so drove there. When I got home I tried my level two charger, no charge. I then tried the charger supplied with car and plugged into an outlet inside my garage. No charge. I tried this several more times over the next several days, nothing was charging. I called the dealership, explained the matter, scheduled an appointment, and drove the car there. I did have enough charge in the car to get the car to the dealership. Several days later, I was told there was a problem with the charging modules. A loaner was provided, and several weeks later the 2020 HSE was repaired/fixed. I like the car, I just took the repaired 2020 HSE which had a few 1,000 miles on it and left the dealership.

A few words were exchanged, the dealership tried to blame me for this problem. I just left. I have not had any problems or issues since. I has been several months .

My concerns are:
1. are the charging modules made with quality parts?
2. how may other cars have had a charging module issue (what percentage of the I PACE's have had a charging module issue)?
3. who trains dealership staff in customer service?

I am very disappointed in Jaguar I PACE. I am wondering if I made a mistake in purchasing the car. I am disappointed in Jaguar dealership management 's customer service approach. There are other issues with the customer service than what I outlined here.

Part 3...call it the GOOD
I use the 2020 HSE to go on trips. The actual road mileage range is ok. Depending on the speed, use of AC, use of navigation system, charging phone, etc I am able to achieve 200 to 230 actual road miles before charging. (So far, no issues encountered on charging.) It is a beautiful, sleek, sexy machine. When I am out, I receive many compliments on the car's style, lines, and overall look. It is a beautiful, sleek, sexy machine.

I am not sure if I would buy another I PACE or any Jaguar again. I am already seeing more public charging locations popping up along Interstates. Hopefully, over the next few years there will be more suburban and rural charging networks pop up.

Thanks. Hopefully, you all are enjoying your I PACE and have not encountered mechanical charging module issues or customer service issues as I have.

H.

Super Moderator
Hi HCS, welcome to the forum and very sorry to hear about the issues with both cars. I had a bad battery and JLR bought back the car, and then I bought another one. Early adopters are always on the bleeding edge, and JLR is not known for reliability. I hope your kitty is trouble-free from here on. 馃嵑

Registered
Charging is a very big deal, but other than that, what other problems did you have with the car?

As for the dealers, I've been critical of them as well. All EVs are money losers, but JLR isn't motivated to sell or service them.
Jaguar is a low volume car that doesn't make much money so the dealers in turn aren't going to be the same as Mercedes levels of service

Registered
Hi everyone. I purchased I Pace in summer of 2019. It is a beautiful, sleek, sexy machine. I joined this forum several months after purchasing the 2019 HSE. I no longer have the 2019 HSE, I exchanged it for a 2020 HSE. Again, a beautiful, sleek, sexy machine. My love affair ends there with the look of the car.

Part 1...call it the UGLY
I took the 2019 on a road trip about 90 days after I purchased it. The car has a nice feel and a smooth ride. On the return trip home several days later, after charging up in the morning, I stopped at the dealership to get a charge to be able to get home. I asked the dealer if I could use their fast charger. They said yes. They plugged the HSE into their fast charger. The charger would not charge. The dealer said something appeared to be wrong with their fast charger. They offered to plug the HSE into their level two charger, I declined because I did not want to wait several hours to get a sufficient charge to get home. I opted to go to an Electrify America (EA) terminal at an area mall to get a fast charge sufficient to get home.

After spending several hours there on the phone with EA because none of the terminals were connecting to the car, and I was unable to get any charge, I went back to the dealership, which was now closed. I tried the dealers level two charger that was outside. No charge. I took the level one charger supplied with the car and plugged it into an outside outlet at the dealership, no charge. I filled out the after hour maintenance envelope, put the key bob in the envelope, and left the car in front of the service doors. I called a hotel to check in for the evening, called a cab to take me there.

I called the service department the next day and they said the car was not charging and they would look in to it and get back with me. (The dealer did provide a loaner car so I could get home.) I called a week later to inquire on the status of the car, I was told there appeared to be a malfunction in the cars charging modules. It would be awhile to get it repaired since there was NO service technician on staff at the dealership trained to repair/fix the charging modules. It took another two month plus to get a technician trained, the parts ordered, and the car repaired/fixed. By this time, the dealer had the car as long as I did. When the call came in the HSE was repaired/fixed, I drove the loaner car back to the dealer. I spoke with the service technician about the issue. I asked to speak to the manager over the service department to express my displeasure in the customer support. I requested two things:
1. pay for SirusXM radio for a year since the free promotional period had run out (I only had the car 3 months at best before the charging issue arose and the dealership had it nearly 3 months to get it repaired) and pay for public charging for a year at EA terminals or,
2. give me a full and complete refund.

After expressing my dissatisfaction to the dealership's customer service approach about this issue with the head service manager, I asked to the speak to the General Manger of the dealership. I expressed my disappointment with how long the repair/fix took, my dissatisfaction with the communication on the matter, and the total lack of any red carpet approach to make me feel appreciated with the long wait and to keep me wanting to keep the HSE and keep me as a customer. After we talked for awhile I told him I would get back with him. I left the 2019 HSE at the dealership, turned down their offer for another loaner, and had a friend drive me back home.

I decided I did not want the 2019 HSE and wanted a full complete refund. We, the dealership, Jaguar America, and I discussed the matter. They offered a compatible 2020 HSE at no additional expense to me. I thought about it and accepted the offer to swap cars (the dealer provided funds to cover Sirus radio for two year). A beautiful, sleek, sexy machine.

Part 2...call it the BAD
The 2020 HSE is a beautiful, sleek, sexy machine. After several months of driving and enjoying the car, I was out and stopped at an Electrify America terminal to charge the car. None of their chargers would charge the car. After spending several hours on the phone with EA support and not able to fix the issue, I was close enough home so drove there. When I got home I tried my level two charger, no charge. I then tried the charger supplied with car and plugged into an outlet inside my garage. No charge. I tried this several more times over the next several days, nothing was charging. I called the dealership, explained the matter, scheduled an appointment, and drove the car there. I did have enough charge in the car to get the car to the dealership. Several days later, I was told there was a problem with the charging modules. A loaner was provided, and several weeks later the 2020 HSE was repaired/fixed. I like the car, I just took the repaired 2020 HSE which had a few 1,000 miles on it and left the dealership.

A few words were exchanged, the dealership tried to blame me for this problem. I just left. I have not had any problems or issues since. I has been several months .

My concerns are:
1. are the charging modules made with quality parts?
2. how may other cars have had a charging module issue (what percentage of the I PACE's have had a charging module issue)?
3. who trains dealership staff in customer service?

I am very disappointed in Jaguar I PACE. I am wondering if I made a mistake in purchasing the car. I am disappointed in Jaguar dealership management 's customer service approach. There are other issues with the customer service than what I outlined here.

Part 3...call it the GOOD
I use the 2020 HSE to go on trips. The actual road mileage range is ok. Depending on the speed, use of AC, use of navigation system, charging phone, etc I am able to achieve 200 to 230 actual road miles before charging. (So far, no issues encountered on charging.) It is a beautiful, sleek, sexy machine. When I am out, I receive many compliments on the car's style, lines, and overall look. It is a beautiful, sleek, sexy machine.

I am not sure if I would buy another I PACE or any Jaguar again. I am already seeing more public charging locations popping up along Interstates. Hopefully, over the next few years there will be more suburban and rural charging networks pop up.

Thanks. Hopefully, you all are enjoying your I PACE and have not encountered mechanical charging module issues or customer service issues as I have.

H.
Have you at all tried all the other CCS Fastchargers like EVgo or ChargePoint? Sometimes Electrify America can be finicky. I have had my share of problems connecting sometimes and EA has given me free charging credit.

Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
EA chargers are not my favorite. RFID readers have less than 50% probability of working. Screens are unreadable in direct sunlight which happens to be how most of them are oriented for the ones I would use. I've had a few cases where charging failed to start and I moved to a different charger and then to a different charger site before I could find one that worked. This has happened with other brands too, not just EA.

Out of curiosity, I returned once to a failed location and the previously failing charger worked. There's just no explanation for the finickiness,.

HCS, would you mind sharing what part of the country you're in? You can make it as general or narrowed down as you want.

JLR's suppliers are also getting their first taste of making parts for EVs. They have the same learning curve and teething problems with manufacturing the parts. Fortunately, most of the parts are good.

I hope the dealership made sure all the car's programmable modules were up-to-date on software. Many issues like these for non-charging have been addressed with updates.

Registered
HCS, thanks for your contribution. I, too, am sympathetic to the issues you've had, which are serious and frustrating, but are rooted in two issues: early adoption and customer service. I also just wanted to share my (positive) perspective. I have now approx 25,000 miles driven on 3 different I-Paces since Dec 2018 when I took delivery of my first, a 2019 FE. Why 3 cars? I soon (10 days after purchase) discovered the heated windshield (standard on all FEs but useless to me in Florida) distorted night vision so badly that after much ado and haggling with JLR, a trade-in was arranged and I took delivery of a new, custom-ordered 2020 HSE in July 2019. (Meanwhile I put almost 3k miles on a loaner while JLR debated whether they could/would simply swap out windshields... in the end they would not, so a new car was needed just for that reason - no other problems with my car or the 2019 FE loaner I had for about a month.)
Since then, I've had almost no issues. I did have just one "severe shuddering, won't drive" episode last year (see my related post in March 2020), but it self-corrected after some "rest" (I had dealer check car out completely but no cause was ever found). Other than having the rear wheel air dams replaced twice (original design appears to not withstand driving fast through heavy water-and JLR has issued a repair bulletin therefor), I've had no other car issues (come across a few bad chargers, but that's not on the I-Pace or Jaguar). I have used EA almost extensively for DCFC situations, having had VERY good luck and outstanding customer service with them. Pricy fillups, no doubt, but in 20 months I've probably only done so a couple dozen times. One time I had lost my wallet (no ccard or cash!) on the other coast of Florida and was able to fillup (twice) just by calling in to EA and verifying my account. (Try that at any gas station!)
I've monitored and participated in this forum for nearly 2 years and while forums tend to attract the extremes (enthusiasts and complainers), I think the vast majority of owners have had positive experiences and absolutely love the car. (Why else would you, like me and many others, be on I-Pace #2, or #3!) Of us early adopters, a few were punished with major problems and buybacks, most rode out the kinks and quirks of a brand new vehicle/model, and we all suffered the fate of paying full price (those deep discounts took a full year to commence). That said, my impression is I-Pace vehicle troubles have been far less than those of early adopters of Teslas, even the highly touted and more recent Model Y, which continues to get bad press for build quality matters, something you never hear about with the I-Pace. The most prevalent and persistent complaints seem to be about JLR (corporate) lack of responsiveness to customer feedback and frequency/functionality of software updates (Tesla has changed expectations BIGtime for auto manufacturers in this regard) and individual dealership service levels (the I-Pace is something of a red-haired stepchild to many dealers, who seem poorly trained, ill-equipped, and unmotivated to sell and support the car-a problem also rooted at the corporate level.)
If your charging issues persist, work through getting them remedied completely as yours definitely sounds like an outlier experience. Only then can you truly enjoy the car without risk or anxiety of repeating your prior bad experiences. As for the dealership/service issues, find the best dealership in your metro area, even if not the closest. I use a dealer 1 hour away even though the local one is 10 minutes away. My chosen dealer comes to get the car and drop a loaner, so it's no less convenient, and their service is just exceptional.

Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. While my wife and I are relatively new to I-Pace ownership, our experience has been excellent. We love the car, it performs as expected, and we have had no issues. I've charged on an EA rapid charger 3 times, and it has worked perfectly each time. The vast majority of my charging is done at my home charger, which is a 240V 50A ChargePoint Flex. We charge the car once or twice per week.

I hope you're through the bad experiences and your future ownership experiences are positive.

Registered
Sorry to hear about your experience. Luckily mine has been trouble free for 10 months. Just got the S20b update over the air - first sota for me. I enjoy this forum but reading the problems makes me nervous and wondering if my car will just quit on me one day. One of the drawbacks of joining an online group is it brings out the problems as it should.

Really bad luck that 2 cars had the same charging issue. I hope Jag is lear
ning from this and getting better at making EVs. Seems apart from battery and software issues, the cars are outstanding.

Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
Sorry to hear your story - I know how frustrating charging problems can be. I recently had a problem with the locking pin on the charging socket not locking in place snd preventing the car passing beyound the "initializing" stage. Problem was a broken solenoid, that an out of town (Albany NY) dealer replaced in less than 4 days. Very pleased with their efforts.
Did you get details as to the charging moduled problem(s)? Two different cars has got to be frustrating.

Registered
EA sucks. Many Jaguar dealers suck, just like most dealers suck. This is an EV. It's not a great distance car, IMHO. Wanna go far? Get a Prius or a VW diesel. This is a sexy sporty fun car.

But to each his own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts