Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put out an ad to hire an editor. The whole add was <170 words, not especially long. At the end, I asked people to paste their resumes into the email. What should I do with the people who attached their resumes instead of pasting? Granted, one attached, saying that she didn't want to remove the formatting, so at least she had a reason.

·
Registered
385 Posts
IMHO

Options: (1) ignore because they didn't follow instructions (they might do this on a regular basis on-the-job), (2) sort to the bottom of the pile in case there no qualified pasters, (3) consider everyone regardless of whether they followed the request.

The exceptional person should be given consideration with the pasters if options 1 or 2 are your chosen course of action.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I assume applicant is using a phone and attach-reply is a bit easier. Unless you put it in large bold or specified several times I would kinda let it go. Unless you have too many to ready anyway....

·
Registered
427 Posts
I put out an ad to hire an editor. The whole add was <170 words, not especially long. At the end, I asked people to paste their resumes into the email. What should I do with the people who attached their resumes instead of pasting? Granted, one attached, saying that she didn't want to remove the formatting, so at least she had a reason.
When hiring technical writers or editors, the good ones always seemed to be picky and precise. I think those who want you to see formatted, complete work should be given consideration. I don't know the platform you were using and how much formatting would be lost. Though it would be interesting to see how different people overcome deficiencies in the tools. The point is that I wouldn't discount any of the applicants, even those that didn't follow specific instructions to paste their resume. All the best luck.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You don't mention what the editor is intended to edit. At one end if it is volunteer/low$ work for a neighborhood pamphlet the answer swings in one direction, and at the other end if it is for a book you are publishing the answer swings in another.

Not intending to be harsh, but in the tech world I work in we would have a hard time taking seriously any job asking for a resume via an unformatted email... or conversely, anyone submitting a plain text resume that wasn't willing to take the time to craft their best possible presentation of themselves. Many applicants we get have clearly taken the time and effort to this well, and honestly I'm very likely to immediately discard an applicant that has taken little or no effort to create a nicely formatted and presented resume (and have).

While that might have worked 20+ years ago, today formatted documents are so ubiquitous that not accepting resumes with at least some reasonable formatting (PDF or at least rich text) doesn't seem like it would attract the best possible candidates for the position you are hiring for. I can't help but think that you are shooting yourself in the foot by doing so.

I really hope that you'll see this as the constructive criticism I intend it to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts