Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've felt that I have lost the great high-regen braking feature and do not have the one pedal driving that I liked. While I used to feel a dramatic difference with the low-regen setting, the difference is quite slight now. The dealer is saying that the high-regen is only strong when the battery becomes discharged, but I do not remember it this way. Should there not be the same high-regen one pedal driving at all battery levels?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I've felt that I have lost the great high-regen braking feature and do not have the one pedal driving that I liked. While I used to feel a dramatic difference with the low-regen setting, the difference is quite slight now. The dealer is saying that the high-regen is only strong when the battery becomes discharged, but I do not remember it this way. Should there not be the same high-regen one pedal driving at all battery levels?
There is a green line in the battery level gauge that indicates maximum regen which depends on SOC of battery. Not sure with the new update, how this will be affected.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Regenerative braking puts energy back into the battery. When the battery is full or nearly full there is not room to store more energy, and regenerative braking is limited. Also at colder temperatures your battery may not be able to take much energy added and regenerative braking may be limited. This is how all EVs have always worked, as far as I know (at least it's how Teslas and I-Paces work). That being said, after fully charging my I-Pace it doesnt take much driving before the limit on regen braking goes away.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
If the battery is full, it stands to reason the regen would be nonexistent/weak. After all, where would the regen energy go? Apparently some manufacturers do a better job of mixing in friction brakes to maintain a consistent ‘feel’’, but JLR did not. I recall reading that one of the recent or upcoming updates is going to address it to some degree

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have noticed a similar regen or slightly less of late.
One thing I was thinking was that the battery was cold.
With this cold weather here, my battery just has not had time to warm up.
I don't have a way of seeing the battery temp. that I know of. Temp outside was 37 deg. F.
My state of charge is well below 90%.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have noticed the same thing with the colder weather. It would be nice if the regen would at least be simulated when not able to be used due to cold weather or full battery. Certainly can make the driving experience erratic. Not knowing if the regenerative brakes are going to slow you down or if you have to press the brake makes for interesting driving.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have noticed the same thing with the colder weather. It would be nice if the regen would at least be simulated when not able to be used due to cold weather or full battery. Certainly can make the driving experience erratic. Not knowing if the regenerative brakes are going to slow you down or if you have to press the brake makes for interesting driving.
Yes I overran my stop by 25 feet today. The display should have some more obvious
indicator light that alerts you. Other than just the green regen display.
This can be a serious safety issue that needs to be addressed in a software update.:frown2:

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
303 Posts
Supposedly that's one of the things Audi did for the e-Tron, specifically making the transition between regen and friction brakes seamless, and automatically accounting for how much regen the battery can take. If that's correct, I really wish JLR would license it (as well as the new defroster windshield VAG patented a year or 2 ago that doesn't require any wires in the pane of glass itself).

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Using the Precondition Timer helps.
Never charging past 90% eliminates the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts