Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best connector to purchase to access TESLA destination chargers? Can I replace the 12 volt battery with a lithium ion type.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi Stuart, welcome to the forum.

In Australia the Tesla destination charger connector is compatible with your I-Pace, some sites will work but the ability to interface with the I-Pace may be inhibited and only work with Teslas. You can "enable" the PlugShare App to view Tesla destination chargers. If you select a Tesla site you can scroll down to view "Checkins" and read comments from owners of non Tesla vehicles. Comments of "Could not Activate" will tell you that site is locked to Teslas only.

Re the 12V battery, there are two 12 Volt batteries in your I-Pace, they are located under the removable panel under front hood. I replaced the larger "Start Battery" with an AGM battery to match the small "Auxiliary" AGM battery. link below.

The I-Pace charging system is optimised for AGM batteries, but when JLR built the car they installed a cheaper wet cell "Start" battery used in small Jags and landrover vehicles.

I have installed Matson bluetooth battery monitors (from Supercheap) on each of these batteries, very happy.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Stuart, welcome to the forum.

In Australia the Tesla destination charger connector is compatible with your I-Pace, some sites will work but the ability to interface with the I-Pace may be inhibited and only work with Teslas. You can "enable" the PlugShare App to view Tesla destination chargers. If you select a Tesla site you can scroll down to view "Checkins" and read comments from owners of non Tesla vehicles. Comments of "Could not Activate" will tell you that site is locked to Teslas only.

Re the 12V battery, there are two 12 Volt batteries in your I-Pace, they are located under the removable panel under front hood. I replaced the larger "Start Battery" with an AGM battery to match the small "Auxiliary" AGM battery. link below.

The I-Pace charging system is optimised for AGM batteries, when JLR built the car they installed a cheaper battery used in small Jags and landrover vehicles.

I have installed Matson bluetooth battery monitors (from Supercheap) on each of these batteries, very happy.

Cheers, Steve
Thanks Steve for the heads up. I will replace the lead acid batteries even though they are Advanced glass matt with the new Lithium iron phosphate replacements coming on the market. it will save up to 40 kg in weight and the electronics in the lithium batteries mimic the charging sequence of the Pb AGM. One more question, I have not yest used a CC2 DC fast charger that the I - Pace can accept, do I need to purchase another cable for this charging point. Many thanks for your prompt reply.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi Stuart, the larger "Start" battery is not an AGM battery, it has a much lower float voltage that can be observed v.s. the "Aux" battery after a charge event.

Please post details of your Lithium battery install, when you get the job done.

Those Matson monitors I recommend will give you an insight on the parasitic loading on the the larger "Start" battery v.s.the "Aux" battery. You would probably be able to view the lithium batteries balancing after they have been charged too.

My replacement 55Ah AGM battery is approx 16 Kg, it replaced the original 47Ah wet cell one, the Aux AGM battery is only 15Ah capacity. The Exide battery equivalents are EA472 and EK151, you can search for the dimensions online.

CCS2 DC chargers have the correct connector plug and heavy duty cable, chargers capable of over 100Amps have heavy water cooled cables to stop the connector pins overheating.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Stuart, the larger "Start" battery is not an AGM battery, it has a much lower float voltage that can be observed v.s. the "Aux" battery after a charge event.

Please post details of your Lithium battery install, when you get the job done.

Those Matson monitors I recommend will give you an insight on the parasitic loading on the the larger "Start" battery v.s.the "Aux" battery. You would probably be able to view the lithium batteries balancing after they have been charged too.

My replacement 55Ah AGM battery is approx 16 Kg, it replaced the original 47Ah wet cell one, the Aux AGM battery is only 15Ah capacity. The Exide battery equivalents are EA472 and EK151, you can search for the dimensions online.

CCS2 DC chargers have the correct connector plug and heavy duty cable, chargers capable of over 100Amps have heavy water cooled cables to stop the connector pins overheating.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi lobster thank you for the helpful comments. Although I am a process engineer I am not familiar with the Matson monitors. Can you expand on that please. The Lead acid batteries mentioned are small AGM batteries so the Li -Iron Phosphate replacements will be much lighter hopefully they will fit in the space. I am trying to regulate charging at home, there is an on board timer in the car and I want to coordinate charging with the off peak rate. Do you know how it works?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi Stuart,

Matson bluetooth battery monitors (from Supercheap) Link includes User Manual.

There is a JLR I-Pace "design" document posted on this forum showing two AGM batteries and sub circuit fuses. The actual cars from 2018 to 2020 had the AGM "Start" battery replaced by a cheaper Non AGM battery.

I charge Off Peak I have an "OpenEVSE" unit from the USA site (1st Link )

I Custom Ordered an Advanced Series 32Amp kit version, with a Type 2 plug, and pre-installed software to suit Australia.

There is also a UK site too.

I don't bother to use any of the I-Pace charge settings or Apps.

I just plug the EVSE cable into the car during "Peak hours" with the power off. The car will wait in "Initialising mode" until the Offpeak supply activates overnight, the EVSE will ask the car if it wants to charge, if the car declines nothing happens, if the car wants to charge it will take what it needs from the EVSE.

I can use the Matson App to view the daily charge graphs of the 12V batteries. EVSE charging events show if the 12V batteries have been be topped up.

Please post updates on your proposed Lithium battery upgrade.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
2019 HSE First Edition
15 Posts
Steve, what brand/model of AGM did you buy to replace the Startup battery? Were the terminals a match to the original battery?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi GR, My replacement for the Start battery, is marketed here under an Australian brand name, the link below includes a data sheet with metric dimensions, it is slightly narrower than the original one. I could not trace the actual manufacturer only this reseller. This battery is not suitable for high temperature locations next to internal combustion motors, so the I-Pace under hood location should be OK.

My terminal adapters are the same as these short low profile height brass ones with recessed socket head bolts. Some adapter brands are much too tall with large overhanging hex bolt heads.

XS Power Battery Accessories | JEGS

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
2019 HSE First Edition
15 Posts
Thank you, Steve, and good point about the temperature consideration. The data sheet mentions 40 degrees, and it was 46 degrees this week here in California...no doubt hotter in the direct sun.

·
Registered
159 Posts
46 Degrees C that's hot, similar summer temperatures to my city of Adelaide.

Google, What is the highest temperature ever recorded in Adelaide?

Hottest temperature: 46.6 °C (115.9 °F), 24 January 2019

Keep cool, Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts