Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a drive to Brockville, ON to tryout their 350kW charger. This was my second time there. It was a 102 kms outbound trip with an ambient temperature of 28C. Battery was good and warm on arrival. Brockville was experienceing some rain and temp was 22C. Plugged in charger, swiped credit card and it started charging. Initial SOC was 19% and within couple of minutes it hit 103 kW charging rate. Went off to buy an ice cream. On return it was at 50% and charging rate dropped to about 80 kW. Unplugged after 21 mins at 60% where it was charging at about 75 KW. All in all, a very good charging experience.

For non Canucks, Preto-Can is primarily a gas company but have installed 350kW chargers across Canada at approx. 250 kms intervals. Price for charging is 33 cents per kW.
Tony

·
Registered
351 Posts
Went for a drive to Brockville, ON to tryout their 350kW charger. This was my second time there. It was a 102 kms outbound trip with an ambient temperature of 28C. Battery was good and warm on arrival. Brockville was experienceing some rain and temp was 22C. Plugged in charger, swiped credit card and it started charging. Initial SOC was 19% and within couple of minutes it hit 103 kW charging rate. Went off to buy an ice cream. On return it was at 50% and charging rate dropped to about 80 kW. Unplugged after 21 mins at 60% where it was charging at about 75 KW. All in all, a very good charging experience.

For non Canucks, Preto-Can is primarily a gas company but have installed 350kW chargers across Canada at approx. 250 kms intervals. Price for charging is 33 cents per kW.
Tony
Thanks for sharing. I've not tried their network but plan on a trip to Ottawa from Oakville about 480km and would like to do it with 1 stop. Napanee or Kingston have Petrocan charges which would likely be my stop. Southern Ont appears to have pretty good coverage between Petrocan and Flo/Canadian Tire.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Tony
I've had similar experience with PetroCan 350kw charging stations. Reliably get 100+kw at low SOC, then follows the predicted/reported charging curve, such that I'm still up around 70-80kw as I pass through 50-60% SOC.

I wish 1) that JLR would free up the charging curve to allow closer to 150kw charging speeds (if within technological and software limits) and that 2) 150+kw charging stations were more prominent along major thoroughfares. 50kw is nice, but.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi John, Petro-Can is all along the 401 in Ontario - not sure where you are. There are also some Electrify Canada (run by VW).
I suspect the charging curve is a function of battery temperature. LG Chem have a max optimal operating temperature of 40C. If JLR are listening, can we have battery temperature displayed, please.
Note, Tesla model 3 prior to 2021 facelift, used Panasonic batteries which have a max optimal operating temperature of 45C. Tesla actively forces the battery temp to 63C to get the faster charging. The penalty for that is reduced battery life.

·
Registered
352 Posts

Drove from Montreal to Toronto last week (medical device install, so essential travel) and made good use of the PetroCan stops. Chargers are reliable and a lot less expensive than the ripoff Electrify Canada (same thieves as Electrify America). They re not too close to anything other than PetroCan coffee or A&W fast food. Why are there no chargers at the OnRoute 401 stops yet? Seems they are the last highway stops in North America (outside New Hampshire!) not to have anything.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes agree with your comment re-pricing of Electrify Canada. There is one at Brockville in Canadian Tire parking lot but expensive. It must be VW's way of making something off the penance they had to pay for the diesel gate affair!!! That is, installing chargers across USA and Canada.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,208 Posts
My important question: How close are they to Tim Hortons?

Someday I'll get up there to see may relatives. Already missed one funeral. :(

·
Registered
352 Posts
My important question: How close are they to Tim Hortons?

Someday I'll get up there to see may relatives. Already missed one funeral. :(
Unfortunately in many cases, the Tims is a good walk away (if that). Some of the PetroCanada convenience stores don't even have brewed coffee some of the time and point to the powder/water based machine that makes hot chocolate and "cappuccino" and mocha "coffee".

The chargers are good and they usually have windshield cleaners and trash cans like they do at the gas pumps. Nic e touch.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,208 Posts
Unfortunately in many cases, the Tims is a good walk away (if that). Some of the PetroCanada convenience stores don't even have brewed coffee some of the time and point to the powder/water based machine that makes hot chocolate and "cappuccino" and mocha "coffee".

The chargers are good and they usually have windshield cleaners and trash cans like they do at the gas pumps. Nic e touch.
Thank you. Made a note: Go to Tims then to charger.

·
Registered
352 Posts
There are several Flow and Electric Circuit 50kW chargers near or at Tims (and St-Hubert BBQ restaurants in Quebec), and they were installed long before the PetroCan network. In winter, I tend to do the Tims/50kW chargers since I rarely get more than 50 during winter charging, but in warmer weather, I do like the 80-100kW I get from the PetroCan chargers. I confess feeling a little guilty abandoning the Electric Circuit chargers that predate the PetroCan ones as I feel they deserve some reward for their early entry into the market. I assume as more cars hit the road, they will all be busy and maybe the 50kW chargers will get upgraded.

I have not been able to find any info on the OnRoute 401 stops and why they lack chargers. Anyone have any recent news other than the current government is anti-EV?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I found Petro-Can not very reliable. They only installed 2 chargers per spot, and the RFID reader often broken (I realize the other day that they also have an app to start the session).
I can see more and more 100kw+ from "Circuit Electrique" now, and this is more than enough considering that we cap at 70-80kw when the battery is not in the optimal condition. The chargers are configured with 12.5kw modules. They have 4 for 50kw, but could be "easily" upgraded with more modules. Circuit Electrique is closely monitoring the usage of each charger, and they know exactly when it is time to plan an upgrade.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've only used it via the App and I think I only had an issue with it being out of order once (and had to use a Electrify Canada at a Crappy Tire instead). Happy to use Circuit Electrique as well, but even 75kW is 30% faster than 50 in sub-optimal conditions. I did a few Montreal-Quebec over the winter and would stop at a CE near Tims on the way because it was a convenient stop and at a PC on the way back. The stores at PC did not always have brewed coffee and I did not want to waste time in a drive through before charging as every minute not on the highway or charging is a wasted minute, so I started bringing thermos, particularly since I have to sit it out in the car since the restaurants are take-out only for COVID (soon to change!).

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are several Flow and Electric Circuit 50kW chargers near or at Tims (and St-Hubert BBQ restaurants in Quebec), and they were installed long before the PetroCan network. In winter, I tend to do the Tims/50kW chargers since I rarely get more than 50 during winter charging, but in warmer weather, I do like the 80-100kW I get from the PetroCan chargers. I confess feeling a little guilty abandoning the Electric Circuit chargers that predate the PetroCan ones as I feel they deserve some reward for their early entry into the market. I assume as more cars hit the road, they will all be busy and maybe the 50kW chargers will get upgraded.

I have not been able to find any info on the OnRoute 401 stops and why they lack chargers. Anyone have any recent news other than the current government is anti-EV?
It is my understanding that the Ontario government would like to see chargers on the 401 however Canadian Tire has in their leases exclusive control of all automotive services offered at the EnRoute locations, and Canadian Tire has no interest (although charging is offered by some Canadian Tire franchisees).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts