Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

help me take the plunge

6K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  riley_dog 
#1 ·
ok...i think i'm finally ready to buy an I-pace. It's a 2019 HSE with more options than i'd order if i were to order one, but it's a beautiful car. Sticker price is highest one in the whole DC area after looking online a dealer's new inventory. I'm hoping that I can get a nicer "deal" since the 2020's are being delivered. Should I buy a 2019 or get the 2020 model year?

#3 ·
There is no functional difference except the loss of "one" model year. Depending on how long you are going to keep it there is not much difference, and even in the short term the hit is not that different. So I say get the best deal you can in 2019, specially pointing to inventory, availability of 2020, etc.

One note though and its controversial: make sure you are ok with the heated windshield if it has that option, that is the optics do not bother you. It really is a personal thing.

#5 ·
I would definitely go with a 2019 if you are getting a good deal. Similarly optioned it would be identical to a 2020. Since you are in the DC area, mind if I ask which dealership you are considering? I had a good sales experience at JLR Bethesda, but cannot say enough good things about the service department at JLR Tysons Corner.

#6 ·
Take it from someone who just last weekend traded in a 2019 FE for a 2020 HSE (only to get rid of the danm heated windshield - standard on the FE), they are functionally equivalent - identical, even down to the range (based on my first 700 mi with the new one). Take the markdown on a 2019 (should be around $10k) and make us all jealous (since many of us paid sticker back when they first came out). You still get the $7,500 federal rebate either way.

#8 ·
I bought mine (also in the DC - specifically northern VA area) over the weekend... loving it so far. Still getting used to driving with one pedal, and will have a charger installed at home over the weekend. It's our second car, so I can tolerate a bit of inconvenience while learning the kinks of owning an EV, charging infrastructure, etc. But I'm really mostly using the car for commuting, etc. so it's tolerable.

I went the HSE route, so I hear you on the high sticker, but the $7,500 EV credits, etc. definitely are a big +.

#9 ·
@riley_dog Congrats! What color did you get? Maybe I will wave at you while on my daily commute to/from NOVA ;) I have occasionally seen a grey one on the Dulles Toll Rd and once a white one in Potomac, MD. Message me if you use the EZ Pass and have trouble getting your transponder read at the toll booths. Enjoy your fabulous new vehicle :)

#13 ·
@riley_dog Congrats! What color did you get? Maybe I will wave at you while on my daily commute to/from NOVA [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] I have occasionally seen a grey one on the Dulles Toll Rd and once a white one in Potomac, MD. Message me if you use the EZ Pass and have trouble getting your transponder read at the toll booths. Enjoy your fabulous new vehicle [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
@ryzvy THANK YOU SO MUCH re: the ez-pass transponder not working... I’ve been driving it for 2 days on 267 and haven’t seen the green light flash yet. I have my license plate registered already on the ez-pass website, so I hope they’re catching that as the backup? Is this a long-term problem and/or any workaround you have found?

I’m in the 2019 Santorini Black HSE.

It took me a day, but figured out the charging infrastructure in Reston via ChargePoint and Sema Connect, so the range anxiety feels like it has melted away... especially with free tenant charging at my office complex. Home installer going in this weekend.

#10 ·
By the time I put in my order on March 29th I ended up getting a HSE 2020. The car is in transit, 10 days out. Can't wait. (original 'Accepted Handover" date was 7/5). I wish I could've just walked it to the dealer and bought a car and get $10k off. Decided to buy as Jaguar is currently offering 0% APR.
Get the 2019.

#15 ·
Thanks @epirali

Sounds like we have a small NoVA user group started - I’ll be honest, having owned the car for 72 hours, I had my first “OMG, what have I done?!” moment this morning... not I-pace related, but just thinking about ev charging, etc. But then a few hours of free juice at work later, the stress melted away... and man is the car fun to drive.

To the point of the original poster, I’m loving the car so far. My only two quibbles:

1) I don’t like the lane assist / steering option that jerks you back into your lane. I like the rumble when you hit the line, but I found both the force of the rumble and the jerk of the wheel way more extreme than in my wife’s car (2018 Mercedes GLS).

2) The slight screen lag on the backup cam is something to be mindful of... not a huge deal, but you want to be careful if you are doing really tight maneuvering in a parking garage, etc.

#16 ·
Thank you everyone for replying to my post. Definitely some good feedback for me to consider. I’ll be heading back to JLR Bethesda this weekend to see what deal they’ll give me.

P.S. I def have to look up the heated windshield. Curious as to the issue. I’m not sure i would have thought twice about that feature.

#18 ·
I made some comments about the windshield in other posts. Since then. I was careful to compare the amount of glare from the wires to the side windows. I realized that the size of the glare is the same with and without the wires. The difference is that the wires change the appearance of it (so we notice it more), but it is not worse than a regular window from what I can tell.

#17 ·
I haven’t noticed any problems with the windshield, other than it took me a day to realize that my ez-pass has to be mounted in a very specific part of the windshield where the UV treatment isn’t applied or else the readers won’t pick it up. Works like a charm now, but I was completely befuddled until I googled the issue and found the fix.

Hope your experience is good - JLR in Tyson’s was down to only 4 in stock last week, but you still get the sense that the sales people are focused on selling tons of rovers, EVs aren’t doing that much volume and probably far less profitable for the dealership due to the lack of service.

#19 ·
@riley_dog Apologies, checking the forums after a few days so just saw you message. But it appears that you already resolved your EZ Pass problem :) You are lucky that your transponder is being read from inside the car. I tried three different ones and the only one that the toll booths appear to be able to read is the one that is mounted outside on the license plate. Did you mount yours in the dotted area to the left of the rear-view mirror (looking from inside)?

#21 ·
@riley_dog Apologies, checking the forums after a few days so just saw you message. But it appears that you already resolved your EZ Pass problem [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] You are lucky that your transponder is being read from inside the car. I tried three different ones and the only one that the toll booths appear to be able to read is the one that is mounted outside on the license plate. Did you mount yours in the dotted area to the left of the rear-view mirror (looking from inside)?
Mine is affixed on the passenger side in the dotted area and has been reliable since mounting it (note, it is one of the newer units with the hov flex slider-switch)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.