Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like driving with the auto climate control on most of the time - it seems a waste of energy to be running the AC when not needed. However, I have a question regarding the heating system.
Today was a 30 degree morning. With the climate panel powered on, but without the auto climate control on, I has warm air blowing from the vents. With an ICE this seems normal since the engine heat is warming the incoming air. But with an EV where is this heat coming from? Is it possible to turn off this source of heat and just get fresh air blowing into the cabin. [I had noticed this earlier in the Fall, but thought that it was due to air being blown thru vents that were warm due to the sun beating down on the dash]. Powering off the climate system kills the vent fan so I get no air at all. I looked thru the manual and couldn't find anything. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
215 Posts
Here's some official info on I-Pace heat management: https://www.jaguarusa.com/electrification/race-to-road/going-the-distance.html

Since the car is harvesting heat from the motors and the batteries IF they are in need of cooling, running the heat in moderate temperatures may not have a huge impact on the battery since the heat from the motor/battery cooling systems will just be discarded otherwise. (I realize at times the batteries are heated at times too, especially when it gets cold out).

Here's another interesting article on the heat pump and the value of preconditioning: https://www.sae.org/news/2018/11/ev-heat-pumps

I'd never heard of a vapor-injection heat pump before. Interesting.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I do the same as x43x, 70 degrees and sunny outside I ensure the hvac is on, recirc is off, the temps turned down and the AC off. Opening a back window give more air flow, but is noisy. The air flow outflow vents are out of a rubber covered vent in the drivers side, back corner of the car. You can see it if the rear bumper cover is off. This also brings up a surprise that occurred after I got my I-Pace home. Every 2 bit electric car for sale in the US since 2011 had electric seat heaters as standard equipment. My Ford Focus Electric had them and on most days, they were all you needed to keep your self warm. They used <1 kilowatt. I was shocked to see that seat heaters were an extra cost item on the I-Pace. So I made sure I got an I-Pace with the expensive seat heaters. I had a nasty surprise reading the owners manual, when I got the car home. The seat heaters are not electric wires in the seats, they are heated by the heat from the heater water tank and the manual says they are very inefficient. It appears that the Jag engineers never looked at or drove any other electric cars before designing their seat heaters.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't comment on the I-Pace but the Model S is the same....no "Vent Only" selection. What I do is turn off AC and turn the heater temp all the way to Low.
Thanks. I was assuming that the temp setting on the little knob was only operative in "auto" mode.
I have no problem with the amount of air flow, but was curious as to why I was getting warm air on a frosty morning. I assume this is heat from both the motors and the battery and not from the heatpump.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
This also brings up a surprise that occurred after I got my I-Pace home. Every 2 bit electric car for sale in the US since 2011 had electric seat heaters as standard equipment. My Ford Focus Electric had them and on most days, they were all you needed to keep your self warm. They used <1 kilowatt. I was shocked to see that seat heaters were an extra cost item on the I-Pace. So I made sure I got an I-Pace with the expensive seat heaters. I had a nasty surprise reading the owners manual, when I got the car home. The seat heaters are not electric wires in the seats, they are heated by the heat from the heater water tank and the manual says they are very inefficient. It appears that the Jag engineers never looked at or drove any other electric cars before designing their seat heaters.
Not that this is an excuse, but I believe the basic philosophy behind the I Pace was not to make an electric car that is most efficient, rather to make a luxury car that is electric. Which also explains getting 20p to 240 miles from 90 kwhr battery.

I think this one distinction explains a lot of the differences you seen the Jaguar compared to the Leaf, the I3, the bolt and other electric cars. I believe the Audi E Tron SUV is similar.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not that this is an excuse, but I believe the basic philosophy behind the I Pace was not to make an electric car that is most efficient, rather to make a luxury car that is electric. Which also explains getting 20p to 240 miles from 90 kwhr battery.

I think this one distinction explains a lot of the differences you seen the Jaguar compared to the Leaf, the I3, the bolt and other electric cars. I believe the Audi E Tron SUV is similar.
Did not know the car has a heater water tank. Does this have to be re-filled? Also, is there anything that has to be re-filled other than windshield wiper fluid.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
708 Posts

I totally agree with you. Jaguar says something like.....We are not a start up Tech company trying to build an electric car. We are an established luxury car brand offering an electric car.

Of course with a 90kwh battery the range could (and should) be much higher than 200-234 miles or range, but Jaguar really focused on pure luxury, weight in a good way and a feeling of driving an expensive luxury, European car. This is what sold me on the I-Pace coming from an i3. I could have gone with several other EVs that offered more range and efficiency, but NONE felt like the Jaguar!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I totally agree with you. Jaguar says something like.....We are not a start up Tech company trying to build an electric car. We are an established luxury car brand offering an electric car.

Of course with a 90kwh battery the range could (and should) be much higher than 200-234 miles or range, but Jaguar really focused on pure luxury, weight in a good way and a feeling of driving an expensive luxury, European car. This is what sold me on the I-Pace coming from an i3. I could have gone with several other EVs that offered more range and efficiency, but NONE felt like the Jaguar!!
If a 90 kw battery pack is so powerful, what does it take to get more miles out of it. Is it software of hardware that holds back the distance. Just curious because having no electric car experience prior to buying the Jaguar, and purchased it mostly because it looked beautiful inside and out, am a little disappointed that the range is this low. I live in Palm Beach County and my best friend
is in Naples, Fl. It is about 280 round trip and I cannot even bring the car to show him since he does not have ability to charge the vehicle and no charge point or sema charge stations near to his house.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If a 90 kw battery pack is so powerful, what does it take to get more miles out of it.
Make the car lighter (it would feel cheaper and less luxurious); give the car better aerodynamics (it would look like every other Tesla bubble car); smaller lighter wheels and tires (handling and/or ride would suffer); ditch the heavy air suspension (handling and/or ride would suffer); trade one high performance motor for a more efficient one (performance would suffer).

At the end of the day, there are no free lunches. JLR made the decision to make something different and I'm glad they did and accepted the tradeoffs as part of the package even if I would prefer some slightly different decisions would have been made.

As for your WPB to Naples run, that's a tall order for any EV except for the longest range Teslas. And unfortunately, there are no fast combo chargers en route. There is a combo charger at a Best Western in Naples, but that's about it. As I recall, that Best Western has a nice poolside restaurant with a good burger, so at least there's that.

Reactions: PS702

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
.... I live in Palm Beach County and my best friend is in Naples, Fl. It is about 280 round trip and I cannot even bring the car to show him since he does not have ability to charge the vehicle and no charge point or sema charge stations near to his house.
Isn't there an Electrify America in Naples? A quick 10-15mins would probably get you home.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
904 Posts
EA at Walmart. 9885 Collier Blvd, Naples. 7 CCS +1 CHAdeMO 50kW

3 150kW, 2 350kW and 2 50kW CCS

·
Registered
253 Posts
Info about heated front seat.

Seat heater elements are in installed in the seat cushion and backrest. The seat heaters comprise a resistive element which is located within a pad. The pad is located between the foam of the cushion or backrest and the outer trim.
The seat cushion heater element is equipped with a thermostat which maintains the element at a temperature set by the user. The heater elements are controlled by a seat heater switch for each seat. The switches are located in the Integrated Control Panel (ICP) which is located in the center console. Each switch has 3 levels of heat setting. The low, medium and high levels, which can be selected by sequential presses of the switch. Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) on each switch indicate the selected heat setting requested.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Make the car lighter (it would feel cheaper and less luxurious); give the car better aerodynamics (it would look like every other Tesla bubble car); smaller lighter wheels and tires (handling and/or ride would suffer); ditch the heavy air suspension (handling and/or ride would suffer); trade one high performance motor for a more efficient one (performance would suffer).

At the end of the day, there are no free lunches. JLR made the decision to make something different and I'm glad they did and accepted the tradeoffs as part of the package even if I would prefer some slightly different decisions would have been made.

As for your WPB to Naples run, that's a tall order for any EV except for the longest range Teslas. And unfortunately, there are no fast combo chargers en route. There is a combo charger at a Best Western in Naples, but that's about it. As I recall, that Best Western has a nice poolside restaurant with a good burger, so at least there's that.
Thanks for the info on the Best Western. I lived in Naples for 3 1/2 years but basically went down to 5th Ave or 3rd street to fill my belly. Maybe I will plan a trip but will call Best Western to confirm that the charger is available..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts