Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

161 - 180 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just a question for this learned group. Still a "new" owner (less than 90 days), got the H264 update, I was at 254 miles at 100%, then I noticed 221, now 214. Is this just a gremlin gremlining?

WattCatt shows the battery at 90% (if I am reading it right).

Actually, under "heath" it's 84% (85.7kWh)....

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just a question for this learned group. Still a "new" owner (less than 90 days), got the H264 update, I was at 254 miles at 100%, then I noticed 221, now 214. Is this just a gremlin gremlining?

Post-H264 the range prediction was very optimistic but it slowly adjusts to your driving style and weather. Even with the adjustment the range prediction is still optimistic so don't trust it. On this forum it's referred to as Guess-o-Meter.

The WattCat battery health has not been correct since H264 so the developer put in an option to not display it. The option is in the Settings menu. Ev

·
Registered
306 Posts

I guess the next question is, "How do I determine my actual range?" I see you have WattCat so you can divide the number of miles traveled by the # of kWh used and multiply by 84 (the accepted # of kWh available to the driver. For example, if you traveled 100 miles and used 50kWh you averaged 2 miles per kWh for a range of 168 miles.

The easiest way is to divide the number of miles traveled by the decline in your state of charge and multiply by 100. Using the same numbers from above, 100 miles divided by a decline of 50% SoC (state of charge) you got 2 miles per 1% or 200 miles of range.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Real range? Need to drive 80%+ of the battery in one swoop.
GOM is just that.... a guess.
JMHO
Absolutely! The crazy thing is your range will change depending on weather, city/hwy driving, how you use the climate control. Now that I'm comfortable with the car I only pay attention to the SoC.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Guys:

New to this. Odometer showing 210, of which 140 miles was at high speed on the interstate.

I'm using the slow charger, as waiting for a 240V outlet to be installed.

At 100% charged, the display shows 213 miles to empty. I called the supplying dealer, who assured me that H264 was done before delivery.

I then called another dealer and specifically asked about H264. From my VIN, they confirmed that H264 had been done and even gave me the date on which it was done.

Shouldn't my display be reading 240 plus, when fully charged, like others?

Weather is pretty hot here in Florida at the moment and I do tend to drive the car quickly.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Roger

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
Repeat after me: "Ignore the GoM. Ignore the GoM."

You might want to read through the many posts on this thread and others where users complain about the inaccuracy of the GoM.

It's best to look at the %age battery left, like your gas gauge. Assume roughly 200 miles at 100%. So if you have a quarter left, you're good for about 50 more miles. Assuming your battery is good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Repeat after me: "Ignore the GoM. Ignore the GoM."

You might want to read through the many posts on this thread and others where users complain about the inaccuracy of the GoM.

It's best to look at the %age battery left, like your gas gauge. Assume roughly 200 miles at 100%. So if you have a quarter left, you're good for about 50 more miles. Assuming your battery is good.
Thanks....

I just assumed (wrongly) as others were showing 240 plus miles at 100%, that mine should also be around that number!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks....

I just assumed (wrongly) as others were showing 240 plus miles at 100%, that mine should also be around that number!
The GoM issue freaks out a lot of new owners. It slowly adjusts to your driving style and ambient temperatures but is still optimistic. Mine is off by 15% over reality and I pay no attention to it as Sciencegeek recommends.

Most drivers are getting 200-220 in the city and 190-200 on the highway. I keep a log of every charging session - how many miles I traveled, beginning and ending state of charge. I divide miles traveled by the change in SoC which tells me how many miles per 1% SoC. Multiply by 100 and that's your range.

During summer I was seeing 220 miles of range but in winter my range is 180-190. Knowing my limits has freed me from range anxiety. Consider if you were driving a conventional car you pay no attention to the distance to empty reading - you pay attention to the fuel gauge. It will take a while but try to focus on the battery gauge.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The GoM issue freaks out a lot of new owners. It slowly adjusts to your driving style and ambient temperatures but is still optimistic. Mine is off by 15% over reality and I pay no attention to it as Sciencegeek recommends.

Most drivers are getting 200-220 in the city and 190-200 on the highway. I keep a log of every charging session - how many miles I traveled, beginning and ending state of charge. I divide miles traveled by the change in SoC which tells me how many miles per 1% SoC. Multiply by 100 and that's your range.

During summer I was seeing 220 miles of range but in winter my range is 180-190. Knowing my limits has freed me from range anxiety. Consider if you were driving a conventional car you pay no attention to the distance to empty reading - you pay attention to the fuel gauge. It will take a while but try to focus on the battery gauge.
Thank you for this explanation. Makes sense :smile2:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thank you for this explanation. Makes sense [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/images/I-PaceForum/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/img]
Cheers! The GoM is wrong because the car's consumption numbers (kWh/100 miles) are also wrong. I have a theory as to why but it's not important. The key takeaway is to not trust the car's consumption figures in the Trip computer or Trips page in the app.

At first, I used the numbers and saw the car could get 260 miles. It was only after Sciencegeek and others convinced me how inaccurate the numbers are that I started using SoC and miles traveled to see my real range. GoM was off by 30-45 miles. Glad I didn't try a long trip assuming I had 260 miles in the battery.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi Guys:

New to this. Odometer showing 210, of which 140 miles was at high speed on the interstate.
GOM is not a mechanical gauge. If you are full charge you can go 240 miles if you drive nice. GOM will adjust to your driving and routes over time. Put 2100 miles on and post how you are doing. Until then just drive.

And yes at high speed 210 might actually be realistic.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thank you for this explanation. Makes sense :smile2:
This reminds men just how good the GOM on my old Lexus 450h was (or at least it always underestimated). I used that GOM down to the last km before fuelling and never gave it a second thought.

I am disappointed at the lack of accuracy in the consumption estimate. I took a few notes on a few trips (delta SOC, km driven, efficiency) to estimate the total battery capacity. The capacity estimate varied a lot. Without the kWh/km (or km/kWH), you can only go by what was put in by the charger, but that ignores losses in the charging process.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Although totally unrealistic I found that if I drive a steady 50MPH with cruise control On, use no climate, and drive on lightly traveled county roads the car's reported consumption is very close to WattCat's figures, within 1%. Once climate control is turned On, the car is inaccurate by 15%-18%. It seems that it doesn't fully account for the energy used by the climate control system. Throw in stop and go traffic and spirited driving (drive like it's a Jaguar) the consumption numbers are even more inaccurate.

What are the experiences of those who drive or have driven other EVs? Accurate GoM or not?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I find the GOM is never totally accurate but is strongly indicative.

If one were to drive always in the same style, in the same terrain at the same temperature and wind conditions, it would prove quite accurate over time. Mine tends to underestimate as the weather warms up as its algorithm assumes cooler weather. In cooling weather it overestimates as it's using historically warm weather as its basis of calculation.

At least, that's my experience. I still prefer to look at the kWhrs used per 100 kms (or miles) and divide that into 84 usable kWhrs. Good for one's mental arithmetic and really quite accurate. So 25 kwhrs divided into 84 = 336 kms - which is my cold weather range. In summer I'm closer to 21 kwhrs which is 400 kms range. This has proven accurate for me and my driving style.

YMMV!

·
Registered
175 Posts
H264 might be done if the Range display has changed from a curved bar to a straight bar. See the attachment. The top image comes from an earlier IPC update that has been rolled into H264. Look for the top image (straight, green bar indicator).
I just had H264 done.
The Instrument Cluster Update was not done. (no green straight bar)
I now am scheduled to take back to fix the fix.
Would not know about the straight bar if I had not read this forum.
Spoke with service manager before leaving after H264, but service claimed all was done.
(He new nothing about the Cluster update)

·
Registered
97 Posts
A quick note regarding H264 comparisons. Unless the weather and driving conditions are identical after your update, its difficult to compare a Pre /Post results. Its all too easy to confuse low mileage as a result of cold weather as a bad battery or system malfunction.

There are thousands of posts on the Tesla forums where guys are crying their Model 3's are broke and only getting 125-150 mile range as a result of cold weather. Keep in mind, aside or reduced range, a heater running as you sit in traffic can draw near the same as driving the car.

Mike

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Guys:

I'm using the slow charger, as waiting for a 240V outlet to be installed.

At 100% charged, the display shows 213 miles to empty. I called the supplying dealer, who assured me that H264 was done before delivery.

I then called another dealer and specifically asked about H264. From my VIN, they confirmed that H264 had been done and even gave me the date on which it was done.

Shouldn't my display be reading 240 plus, when fully charged, like others?

Weather is pretty hot here in Florida at the moment and I do tend to drive the car quickly.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Roger
Roger Hello - the best way to tell if your have H264 update is your battery meter will be different on your display. If the battery meter is located just below the speedometer display as shown in the image included, then it has H264. For the most part, depending where you live and temperatures, right around 200 miles of range is about average.

Mike
display 264.png

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
192 Posts
Roger Hello - the best way to tell if your have H264 update is your battery meter will be different on your display. If the battery meter is located just below the speedometer display as shown in the image included, then it has H264. For the most part, depending where you live and temperatures, right around 200 miles of range is about average.

Mike View attachment 3632
As stated previously in this thread the switch from the curved battery status indicator to the bar was part of H237 (Instrument cluster software update). This was updated on many vehicles mid 2019, well before H264 was made available.
I believe the confusion is arising because many owners did not take their vehicles in for a this optional update last year and so got this done at the same time as H264. However, this thread has detailed at least one case where H264 was performed and the instrument cluster update was not.

161 - 180 of 187 Posts